Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 12/25 (Read 473 times)

Is it balaclava weather, Ev?  I have a cpl of different fabric wgts of those....I seem to need it to be pretty sharp, cold before I use them though...

With a good wind chill (and we get alot of that around here) I need some face protection.  But I do tend to over dress and usually find that when running WITH the wind I'll pull the face protection down or even pull it up like a stocking cap.  This wool one that I got breathes really well though and found it much more temperature regulating than my old bulky knit one (not sure what the old one's made of, cotton/poly prolly)

Leslie, that's aweful about your knee.  We need pics of the redhead.

Wow! That is a great trophy!  WTG

Carol.........Big grin   Better to hear you with, my dear.

Will get out for 3 today.....will report back later.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Wow, Leslie gets the day off! Enjoy! Wink     uhmm, voice lessons, yeah....thinkin big waste of money (other than learning to breathe properly) as I sound a bit like a wounded cat caught in a screen door! Big grin

Carol's right, Arla ~ excellent staging of some really kewl trophies! ...do people still get shoes bronzed?

Sorry Carol, was trying to send you some snow....you know how reliable delivery ppl can be these days! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhmjJCBQ-cA

Since I can't carry a tune vocally, maybe I should try to learn something more pleasant sounding than the banging of kitchen pots....then again, I am pretty proficient with those!

I really shoulda never used the term "sharp cold" in here earlier....my upper house gets the boobie prize for cool temps this am  -26* F officially!! carp!! So, the balaclava that I DO have here is a lighter wgt one...how far do I hafta run to get more miles than degrees today?!  I'll be down below in a bit & it's supposed to warm up down there to upper 30's in some areas....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Since I can't carry a tune vocally, maybe I should try to learn something more pleasant sounding than the banging of kitchen pots....then again, I am pretty proficient with those!

I really shoulda never used the term "sharp cold" in here earlier....my upper house gets the boobie prize for cool temps this am  -26* F officially!! carp!! So, the balaclava that I DO have here is a lighter wgt one...how far do I hafta run to get more miles than degrees today?!  I'll be down below in a bit & it's supposed to warm up down there to upper 30's in some areas....

Ok.....looks like our little band now has a percussionist!  

You can not run 1mile a day for 26 days.  Or you could just not do a 26 mile run.  Or not do two 13 milers....or a 20 miler then a 6er....or....

I feel stupid for even mentioning the balaclava now.........Embarrassed

3 miles for me in +27*F.  

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Cindy - I like Ev's idea re miles vs. degrees. Smile

Ev - I'm always embarrassed when I complain about it being cold here (i.e. mid to high 30s) and folks are running in sub-zero temps.

50 min of the Stable Body DVD.  My arms and core are pleasantly pooped.

Okay - at the risk of bad self-portraits . . . my natural hair color is somewhere between dishwater blonde (really dirty dishwater) and something that could be thought as a lighter brunette.  Actually, my natural color is nowhere on the color wheel.  My hair stylist simply says, "It's your color." Roll eyes

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

You can not run 1mile a day for 26 days.  Or you could just not do a 26 mile run.  Or not do two 13 milers....or a 20 miler then a 6er....or....

Too funny!  I guess you could convert to the Kelvin scale. But yes, I agree with ev, and you should follow Leslie's example, get into sweats and have some quality couch time. Brr! 

Leslie - bummer about Shorty, that doesn't seem fair! Hope he likes the red. Definitely need pics, there's so many ways to go red. Once I had a magenta-ish cellophane, sounds strange but it worked well on top of my dark brown. The only color change taking place nowadays is one hair at a time going silver. Roll eyes

Oh, and a disclaimer, that trophy was earned before I started my performance-enhancing drug treatment. Cool

Brother's coming to town today to stay with me, so I'll be checking out for the most part... but wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas or Hanukkah or Solstice or Kwanzaa or even a good ol' Bah Humbug!! Hug your loved ones and eat without guilt! 

Ex runner

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - posting at the same time - that looks really cute! So natural! 

Ex runner

Love the disclaimer!

When I got to my salon last night, I told Cindy to do whatever she wanted.  She looked at me quizzically and said, "Um, really?"  Yep.  Go for it girlfriend.  She was fairly giddy!  My mom, however, hated red hair.  Most of her aunts (at least 4 or 5 of 'em) were red heads.  I'm guessing she was rolling over in her grave last night, ready to come back to life and strangle me. Big grin

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Leslie, love the new you! Natural or not, we redheads have to stick up for each other, no matter what Smile

Leslie, you look mahvelous!!!  And red just in time for Christmas!

Speaking of which, Merry Christmas to you all!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANUKKAH,HAPPY CHRISMUKKAH, HAPPY KWANZZA, HAPPY HOLIDAYS, JOLLY WINTER FESTIVAL, JOYEAUX NOEL, SEASONS GREETINGS, MERRY YULETIDE/JUL, ....(I need to do some more research!) 

.... Actually, we've decided to step back from the retail frenzy...it's not "Bah Humbug" or anything like that,  but it's kind of a long story.  Part of it has to do with my ongoing historical family research - not just geneology.  I've been digging (I'm such a nerd!) into a broader history & traditions, etc... Well & also, all of the kids are mostly spending the holidays with the "other" families, leaving us to ourselves & then we've had some Jewish friends who've for years have invited us to do Chinese food & movies for Christmas. Hmm, that sounds like fun! We usually avoid the ski resorts ON specific holidays!  Our trail running group is also doing a long run Christmas morning that we're considering. It;s going to be pleasant on the weather front!  We got quite a bit of snow - over a foot here! & now they're forcasting low 50's for tomorrow....going to be sloppy fun!

Watching a news snippet on Seiffen, Germany & their centuries old tradition of hand carved wooden Christmas oraments Smile  sweet!

That's a great color, Leslie! Have fun with it. 

Well, I tried Carol...but somehow the cold front didn't quite get shipped with the frontal system & so, it's rain instead of snow Sad Sorry! tried.  

Hmm, percussion...hadn't considered that...hmmm. (visualizing my DH's reaction to the new drum set in the corner.... Big grin)

You know I'm just teasing you about the balaclava, right? I'm a total wind wuss! I'll go out in zero temps, as long as it's dead calm! Or relatively so.  I do think it's interesting to note the differences in what ppl around here wear for Winter gear...at the 10K last wknd, it was in the upper 20's w/brilliant sunshine & warming up quickly at the start - clothing ranged from shorts & T's to damned near parkas & boots! I was definitely too warm in my PI Infinity long pants, long sleeve tech T, jacket, santa hat & gloves!...tucked the hat into my waistband, took the jacket off for the run & wore the liner weight gloves about half of the time.

Oh, yeah, running board!...uh, ended up not going out yesterday....Spent the entire day somewhere btwn the 8th & the 18th centuries.... 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys, got in 2 consecutive 20 mile weeks, best since the end of harvest and my dad's recent illness.

Headed to Estes for a cup before da stuff hits the fan for yr end next week. Packing so short and semi sweet ;-)

Joe congrats on 2k!

Carol hope you are on the mend, and huge congrats on your racing this fall, and super 5k pace!

Ev that one tree 'tween here and Cheyenne don't block much wind!!! Stomp is first or second week in March I think. Be there or be Square! ;-)

Cindy til this last snow the best snow in Colorado was somewhere north of Limon ;-) (to non Colorado peeps thats isolated flat pairie and farmland on the eastern plains).

Leslie and OM do redheads have more fun also? ;-) Red becomes you!

Arla Nice trophy! I won this travel mug when I set my 5k pr, cheap little thing but means so much. As far as my soft road surfaces, thats why I am so slow, uhhuh ya thats it, sounds good to me. :-)

Hey Stumpy and anyone else lurking about.....

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night (or day)!!

Lunch at 12,200 feet mid May 2011 after a 5 mile 2800 vert skin up.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

That's a fantastic picture, Jim!  What a view to eat by.

Yeah, what Cindy said about Happy Everything. And I like the idea of "downsizing" re Christmas.  We started it years ago and have never regretted it.

Thanks for the compliments re the new hair color.  The more I look at it, the more I like it.  Anything's better than what my real color is.

Watched "Super 8" and "Crazy, Stupid Love" last night.  Really like 'em both.  Ladies - Ryan Gosling at his physical best.  Oh - my!

I had 11 fabulous, pain-free miles out at Headwaters this morning.  I took Ilene's suggestion and wore one of those strap things that sits under the knee.  Don't know if that's what did it, but I had absolutely no issues (knock on wood).  Smile  It was cold, though, until about Mile 3.5, when the temp went up about 10 degrees.  The further away I got from the river the warmer it was, with the reverse on the return.

Anyway, it's an absolutely gorgeous day today, my run was one of the best I've had in awhile, and now I'm off to visit The Hub.

Later -

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ev, you're such a wuss!

Well.....I never!!   Us flatlanders are just not as cold hardy as you mtn folk.  Big grin

Leslie, you look mahvelous!!! 

+1

Nice to hear from you Jim.  Great spot for lunch!  The stomp....maybe next year.......

Leslie, so glad you had a good run with no pain.  Tell Shorty I said Hi.

nice 5er for me this Christmas morning.  No balaclava Big grin but did wear some ear protection.  Beautiful morning!

Ok....here's a song from the long run play list of a few years back. 

Sting

Enjoy!

jfa

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Not much running or computer time this weekend.

Catch up later. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas, Friends -

Got 6 miles done this a.m. - pain-free again.  Well, sort of.  I need to roll out my IT band as I could feel it getting tight toward the end.

Attended my first candlelight service at church last night.  Very moving.  Today it was breakfast at church, then a really fun, kid-oriented service.  Dad was suppose to come up and go with me, but alas, he couldn't get his weekend hours flipped, which I can't blame him.  I haven't heard from him thus far today, and if I don't by 1:30, I'll call and see if I can wake him up.  If not, well, it'll be roasted chicken for one with lots of leftovers for a pot of chicken lentil soup.

Enjoy -

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance