Masters Running

Tues 12/09 Runs - Non Runs - And Stuff (Read 466 times)

"Hey Bill, I asked this before, but you may have not seen it. Do you have a particular Marathon picked out for 2009?"
    Not really. I'm thinking about Chicago possibly in the Fall. But I can be convinced otherwise given a big enough Party! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

One of the most difficult things for me to get used to is starting all over again and always thinking every run will be a peppy one, especially after an off day. My experience is that the day after an off-day is a sluggish run, and yet I was still surprised at the molasses-like performance today. (This is, btw, the reason I don't like days off. I would rather have a light workout than take an entire day off, but given my overall weakness I haven't much choice.) Tinman suggested to me when I started running again that I should increase my daily mileage by one mile every month, so that meant I could run 3 a day in October, which I did, 4 a day in November, which I did, and now 5 a day in December. Also, and this is great advice, as I move into each new month and a bit longer runs, to run at a pace at the beginning of the month that is equivalent to my pace at the beginning of the previous month. This means that at the beginning of October I was running at 10:25 per mile. By the end of October I was at 10:10. But I started November back at 10:25 and that was smart to do. Of course Tinman is a genius so I was not surprised. You would laugh to see me running at 10:25's but although this is very slow, I am now pretty comfortable and just trying to run steady, slow miles and build up gradually. Today I reverted to that pace for 5.3 miles and couldn't wait for it to end! Also, I haven't mentioned my wife in a while. You know she beat me by about 1:30 in the 8-mile Turkey Trot here. She is running the White Rock Half on Sunday and going out with the 2:10 pace group. I am very happy with her progress. Opie and LaTortuga will be our house guests this weekend, continuing our tradition of hosting cool people for White Rock. Thank you all for your kind words of support here. It means more to me than I can say. Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

orginally posted by biketm: 12/9/2008 at 4:21 AM
        Thanks Fran, I definitely plan on being there...if my foot ever heals up. I need to think of the weeks and weeks of training to run a decent Marathon.
        timmy - when you get to 60 days, you'll be authorized to participate in selected boomer festivities such as next summer's Seattle Rock'n'roll without the necessity of actually running in the underlying event. Besides, who says you have to be decent? if ribs can come back from what he went through, so can you. Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Renee the dog

Totally off topic, but if anyone lives near Albertsons/Acme, they are having their 10 for $10 specials, including boxes of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. This is a very popular donation with our local food banks, and I thought a few on this thread might like to know about the sale and its desirability with the food bank people.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Afternoon to all. Today was a 6 mile TM run and leg weights/abs workout. I don't much like the TM but it is much easier on my knee than the road. Today's was actually a decent TM run, by which I mean that it went by quickly and I was not constantly looking at the distance and time on the TM monitor. It's warmer here today too and expected to be warmer still tomorrow. As much as I like snow (and we almost never get it here), I am happy not to be dealing with running in it. Kudos to those of you out there in it running. Tim, I hope the Dr. has good news about your foot. I too was moved by your gesture at Walmart over the weekend. That was truly a wonderful thing to do. Perch, I have often experienced the phenomenon you describe. I can only think that it's the comparison between the paces that makes it seem so easy to run those miles after the tempo portion. dg, sorry to hear your dh is sick. I hope he is better soon and your sore throat is not the precursor to something worse. Ribs, it's good to hear that you are doing so well after the surgery and are taking it nice and slow getting back. It sounds like you and your dw are doing great! Great to hear that she is doing so well with her running. Meg

Once a runner . . .

Sarge and DickyG, thanks for your comments the other day. Walt, good job on the high mileage week without AT problems. fatozzig, nice race, beating your goal. dg, sorry to hear your husband is sick. Also, nice progression run. Nice long runs for mariposai, evan (and big mileage week), and peter. Good job on the speedwork for enke, breger, and Holly. Yesterday,on my nonrunning day walk, the roads were slippery but looked like they might be ok with Yaks. Unfortunately, the weather forecast was for snow, and the forecast was right, about 4 inches of wet, heavy, stuff overnight. So, it was the TM again, 8 miles at 1% and 6.2 mph (9:40 pace. I hope I don't forget how to run outside or longer than 8 miles. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
              xor

Totally off topic, but if anyone lives near Albertsons/Acme...
                Hold on, hold on. There are stores called "ACME"???? Cool! Can you get earthquake pills and rocket pogo sticks there?

Marathon Maniac #957

Can you get earthquake pills and rocket pogo sticks there?
                  Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SR, sometimes I think to myself...wow I could be running with SR right now at the same pace, but in a few more months he will be so much faster than me. Your recovery has been inspiring! Good luck to your wife too on her HM. recovery run, 11:14 pace, 4 miles, 44F, light drizzle you guys doing "easy" cool downs at sub 8:00 paces, that just kills me. Franc...believe it or not, I did toy briefly yesterday with the idea of doing the 50K. That is only 31 miles and I have run 20 miles there before and felt pretty good...but then Tet's post shot some reality into me, plus looking at last year's finishing times... I guess I am not ready for "happy madness" yet.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Not really. I'm thinking about Chicago possibly in the Fall. But I can be convinced otherwise given a big enough Party! Bill
                      Ummmm...Seattle in June...that will one heck of a party, I am sure Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Too many hills ...

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Can you get earthquake pills and rocket pogo sticks there?
                          Yes, but only through mail order.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

Too many hills ...
                            Heck, just run around um Bill Tongue Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

lamerunner

Greetings! Hey Tim, thanks for thinking of me. I think today may be day 30... in the non-running club. I had an MRI last week. No results yet, or at least no appointment to get them yet. I imagine someone has read them. I cannot tell if there is improvement. I can now stretch my hamstring better but my back and rear still hurt; any slip or trip is very painful. I have not tried to run really. I was out of town a few days at a conference in Tucson. 600 bankruptcy lawyers in the desert! Long day of meetings and CLE Friday ( plus 65 minutes of elliptical), but I did get out Saturday afternoon for a hike in Sabino Canyon, Coronado National Forest. Their "steep" is a piece of cake compared to hiking in the White Mountains! Lots or switchbacks, interesting vegetation. Very open though; you don't want to be too hydrated if you know what I mean. I hiked up a cliff/peak then once back at the main trail decided to head up the canyon on a pretty gently uphill but very scenic trail. Ended up hiking about 12 miles. I did not read the Park bulletin aobut "problem mountin lions" until I was way in the canyon... spooked me a bit on the way down, but there were other folks around and all I saw for wildlife were jackrabbits, small lizards and chipmunk. I had also done my dutiful 65 minutes on the helliptical so i was tired Saturday night. Sunday i just did 50 inutes on the elliptical then a much shorter hike before hopping on the plane. Suffered an attack from a vicious aloe plant which refused to move out of my arm's way. Today was a 1500 yard swim and I will later go coach the last practice for my XC team before the Junior Olympic Nationals. I may run 5-10 minutes if I can, just for part of the warm up. I can confirm I am a woman, not sure the fast part applies anymore."Has been" is more like it. happy running. Lamerunner aka Jennifer
                              xor

Too many hills ...
                                Not enough time. Hills are fun!