Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 7.24.14 (Read 36 times)

I have to stay out of bookstores because I want to buy everything.

I love making frittatas.  They're so easy.  I usually throw in everything but the kitchen sink.

Aamos - Last year we got so many plums off that tree, it was ridiculous.  Looks like this year will be the same.  The Hub plum bread last year at one point.  Oh . . . my!  I'll have to remind him . . . . .

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Still posting from my cell phone.  We have been gone to Portland for Paul's grandma's funeral for the last three days. We are now driving back home.

Spareribs,  thanks for your nice comment about me. I must admit, it has been extremely stressful for all of us. We still don't have electricity and I was told that the heavy rain and thunderstorms we had  yesterday in the two valleys  affected by the fire left the cell towers down and no cell reception for who knows until when. So know we will be with no cell or Internet access. The fire is not gone. Please keep praying for our land.

Ok, did run 8 miles around lake Union this morning getting lost a few times.

Kale sala is my favorite.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

I really miss you all today!  Wish we could all get together around a big ol' table and swap books and eat kale.  And plums.  More plum bread, and jam, please, and tea!  Or go for a walk to that bookstore Holly's DS found.  Very cool!

twocat, I found some pomegrante vinegar I use on kale just as you directed.

Thanks, Ribs, for the reprieve.

Hang in there, our little butterfly.  You inspire us.  Facing adversity with grace.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Yesterday 9.3 with a 1000 ft hill climb at the end

Today I'm a wet rat and did 6 easy, but on the pavement. Yechhh.

blazin, it's good to hear from you.

Nice long runs for wild, stumpy, and shadow.  Good job on the speedwork for mari, Twocat, and Mike.

This morning was made for running.  It was in the low to mid 50s with just a light wind.  I plodded along for 10 miles at an 11:18 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps

Mari--what Ribs said.  Just to be that long without electricity is a pain.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Hang in there.

Slo--Good to see you back.  We can share slump stories.

Nice to see Blazin' back, too.

Buddy Holly?  I assumed it was the Elvis Costello look.

I forgot to post this morning.  5 with 4@MP.  .

Be safe. Be kind.

AamosY I sure hope you mean pomegranate syrup!  Many other syrups work well too.  I quite like that farro and Swiss chard recipe with huckleberry syrup.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Start by removing the stems and then chopping the kale into bite sized pieces.  Next, combine with some lemon and orange juice (plus the zest from both) along with a bit of some vinegar you like.  Mix them up with some salt and pepper to taste and add to the kale.  Let the kale sit for at least 15 minutes in this acid bath.  Next, make a salad out of it.  An easy way to go is to add some dried fruits, blue cheese and a bit of olive oil.  Adjust the salt and pepper levels to taste and you should be all set!   Want to get fancy?  Take some dried cherries and soak them in red wine vinegar for 15 minutes.  If the cherries are so dry that this will not soften them up, put the mix in the microwave for 15 seconds prior to having the cherries marinate in the vinegar for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes take out the cherries while reserving the vinegar.  Combine the vinegar with lemon juice  and lemon zest.  Again mix with the kale and let sit for 15 minutes.  Then combine with some random ingredients you like in your salads (toasted almonds work well with the cherry vinegar).  Done!

Hey!  This is a running forum!  Why does reading the daily always make my mouth water?.....

(Gotta try this asap!)

Can I eat the cherries, too?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Gotta give him his due though. Twocat always has a great perspective on food, and note the logic behind it, how foods cook, what has acid, sweet, etc.  All this stuff is important. And best of all is how things get positioned to the diner, what you call the dish, the foods that complement it and so on.  He's very good at this.

Thank you Mariposai; stay tough.  We're watching.

The chili was outstanding.   Spareribs

Henrun

5.7 very steamy slow miles this morning. I couldn't wait for the humidity to break which it did this pm. Plan to cycle with Marj tomorrow.

Re the book discussion. I just finished a real page turner about the Boston tec, Spencer. Ace Atkins has taken over the series since Robert Parker died and does a very credible job.

Aamos, talking about the Beats, I just finished an unfinished and recently discovered novel by Jack Kerouac- the Haunted Life- and just started another unfinished novel by Don Carpenter- Fridays at Enrico's.

BTW-the Sox are back to making mediocre pitchers look like Hall of Fame candidates..

Holly S. oops!  Yes you can eat the cherries!  I forgot to make that clear.  Chop them up a bit first.  Actually, writing the earlier post put me in the mood for kale with a cherry vinaigrette dressing.  Lacking kale, off to the store I went!  It was dang good too!

Spareribs so when are you getting to CT?  That list of chili ingredients look great!  Freeze some up and mail to . . . 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I had to look a couple of times to see if I was in the right place....yes..."RunningAHEAD"...that's what it says at the top of the page...I kept expecting it to see something about cooking...

My mom was not the best cook in the world...I hate to say it...but it's the truth.  So, I grew up on bland, un flavorful food.  I was probably the only person who thought military food was good.  Now...and I really hate to say this...but DW isn't the greatest cook in the world either...so I can't even relate to all of these "fancy" receipts you guys always talk about.  Here's my typical daily diet...breakfast--a bowl of cereal and orange juice...lunch--peanut butter and jelly sandwich, banana, and yogurt....tonight's supper was BLT's.  Yep--that's it.

Anyway--I ran 10 miles, tonight, with 3 in the middle at around 6:35 pace.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

My mom was not the best cook in the world...I hate to say it...but it's the truth.  So, I grew up on bland, un flavorful food.  I was probably the only person who thought military food was good.  Now...and I really hate to say this...but DW isn't the greatest cook in the world either...so I can't even relate to all of these "fancy" receipts you guys always talk about.  Here's my typical daily diet...breakfast--a bowl of cereal and orange juice...lunch--peanut butter and jelly sandwich, banana, and yogurt....tonight's supper was BLT's.  Yep--that's it.

I like to cook, and bake, but haven't done much lately And I certainly don't know what to do with Swiss Chard. Today was a meal replacement shake for breakfast, meal replacement bar for snack, meal replacement shake for lunch (I skipped the salad), another bar before workout at the Y, then MrStarr made a taco salad for supper.  I forgot to put the grape tomatoes in it, darn!  I admit that I could have used a bit more energy at that spinning class, but I kept up pretty well. It was the first Time I went to a class in a year or two. The fitness director somehow forgot he had an appointment with me at 4:45 and was with another old lady. He was surprised to see me and said I looked different. I guess that is a compliment.

Jay, I did NOT get the swing after all that waiting. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Leslie, I was not too sad about it since the yard is still kind of a mess right now. We will get one eventually, just not before the grandchildren come for a week. Besides Minnesota is the 4th happiest State, so I am good. Actually we are the 3rd healthiest State too.

Dave, good for resting your foot, better safe than sorry. Be safe with those glasses too!

Jlynne, have fun gramma time with Will and Ben. I plan to make cookies (Snickerdoodles) when mine come, but will have the dough ready in the fridge. Sorry about your slump SloHand, back on track it is! That would be so fun to have siblings that run, my DB and DS are not so inclined. I am the only one who exercises when we are on vacation. MrStarr and I are thinking about doing TRAM or RAGBRAI next year, or at least when we retire. We have a friend who is 76 years old doing RAGBRAI for the first time this year. I read in the paper that someone died due to a medical condition. How tragic that must have been. So why aren't you at RAGBRAI?

We have a nice break from HH but can relate to those muggy runs.  Enjoy your runs tomorrow and this weekend everyone.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

Yay for Leslie and Shorty in co-volunteering.

Hang in there, our little butterfly.  You inspire us.  Facing adversity with grace.

It would be OK if life slowed just a little bit. Busy is good for me. I had a dental check up after work. There is a new oral hygienist. She kept remarking how clean my teeth are. She guessed at my habits and nailed it. I get a little silly when fatigued and heartily denied her claims. I told her that after every meal, I lay on the floor and our dog cleans my teeth. He does such a good job on keeping the sheets and the toilet clean, I thought, "Why Not?".

DW and I put the furniture back after after moving it Wednesday for new carpet. My high school RP and his wife are in our old hometown from CA. The last time I saw them, their son was 2 months old and he graduated this year. Dad is at my sister's in the Detroit area.

SteveP