Masters Running

Saturday April 16 Rainy Runs (Read 496 times)

holly, your mentioning your son's track meet brought back memories of my kids and their meets.  The meets  were long and some were cold but I still have good memories of them.  Tramps, nice 5K PR.  derrick, good luck on the test results.  heme, that was one tough 30K with the mud and difficult trails.  dg, nice long run in the wind and rain.

This morning, I did a small 5K in a nearby town.  It was a fundraiser/memorial for a local lady.  A good portion of those who participated were not normally runners or walkers but came to support the cause.  It was neat to see.  The weather forecast made heavy rain and strong winds a possibility.  It turned out to be in the low 50s and windy, but no rain during the race.  I finished in 27:51 for an 8:59 pace.  I think I was 19/38 OA.  For AGs, the top one was 50-99.  I was 4/6 in that group.  I was also the oldest in the race by 8 years.  I did a mile warmup and 2.9 miles when I got home to give me 7 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Heme, good job on finishing that run in what sound like nothing other than extremely difficult conditions. I tell ya, I'd be tempted to DNS something like that.

Stumpy, sounds like a fun party! That's the worst thing about missing Boston this year... missing all the gatherings of fellow RA (and KR) peeps! Glad you had fun, and I want to meet Nono, too!

We had perfect conditions today for our 5k. Got there a little late though so my warm up was pretty short. The course had been re-routed quite a bit to avoid the worst of the ice, but there was still "caution" signs up all over. The re-route took us up a couple of new hills, steeper than the old course. I took yesterday off because my legs had been tired this past week. Seemed to help. But I still wasn't up for a PR run or anything like that. Last year I PR'd this course (22:24) during taper a week before Boston. I'd trained on the big hill that takes up most of the first mile, whereas this year I've only run it a couple of times, and usually not all the way up. So, I wasn't expecting anything too impressive. Lined up with DH about a third of the way back (normally I'd line up in the third row or closer) and we took off to the beginning sounds of Beethoven's 5th symphony. The goal is to finish before the symphony ends, and you get a ticket for free admission to a concert next season. Cool! 

Dodged a bunch of slower runners and walls of kids who wouldn't move... made it up the big hill and thru the first mile in about 8:14, then picked up some steam on the second mile with some nice downhills in 7:21, third mile was 7:02. My Garmin measured the course short at 3.07, but good enough. I might've cut a couple corners on sidewalks. Final time was right around 23:00 and I was happy with that. Jogged back along the course to find DH and he was making his way carefully after dodging kids and dogs in the second mile. We ran to the finish together and I peeled off just before the chute. Then he went to the gym to get a weights workout in, and I headed out for 6 more miles in the beautiful sunshine. What a day! 10.8 miles total for the day.

Top 'O the World!

Leslie – I’m not sure if I would want to borrow someone else’s used bedpan.  No reason…

**snort!**

I was actually thinking that turkey roasters work well myself....I have at least two.

Nothing rainy about the weather around here today! Not even our "traditional" (lately) WIND!! ...maybe we've shipped it East Wink

"Fleet Feet" wishes to all our weekend & Monday racers!!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

New skirt in town

No running, just partaying today!  Had a wonderful time meeting old friends and new, and this spot I found across from the Hynes Convention Center is a keeper, I tell you!  Mark your calendars now for next year's Patriots Day weekend, folks, we're going to have to do it all over again!  Pictures later...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mariposai

Great to see that the Boston folks had a blast. I can't wait to see the pictures and the stories.

Well, we too had a grand time today in Wenatchee (when one does not have a good time when we meet up with our RAland friends?) 

Dievechief, Mike and his lovely wife, Sue,  enjoyed each other's company before the race and we partied after the race.

I must have chosen the right butterfly wings (the one Hally helped me buy on Fith Ave. when I was in NYC) because I ran a fairly good race. The 1:59  (Aveg 9:04 pace) was good enough time to give me a 5th place AG. Final results are not up yet.

We did take some pictures. I will start a Wenatchee thread so we can share a short story to warm up as we wait for the Boston folks.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

So jealous not to be in Boston meeting all these imaginary people!

Heme, well, that sounded pleasant!  No wonder normal people think runners are weird.

Tom - never heard of a 50-99 AG.  Kind of makes it tough to win?

I think Wenatchee is today.  I was sort of training for it 2 years ago when I got sick.  I still want to do another marathon someday, dammit.

I'll be hoping for the best Derrick.

OM, hard decision for sure.

Nice race Erika.  But how did DH do?

Had a really sproinky run, even though my legs were trashed from the mountain running this week.  I kept trying to slow down, but then I would look at my pace on the evil Garmin every once in awhile and say, shoot, I'm doing well today, might as well pick it up.  So I ended up running my fastest time in over 2 years on this hilly 5 mile route.  Now the legs are really trashed, but it's a good feeling.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Enke, DH ran a 36:something, combination jog/walking. He did well and I couldn't be more proud of him for doing this race. It's really not an easy course.  You sure found some good sproink today! Good for you!

Nice job, Nancy!! Just think, that pace will get you that BQ you've been after!

Mike E

MM #5615

Great races today for everybody!  Thamps--a PR--great job!  I hope all of this spills over into Monday. 

I, too, am very jelous of the Boston gatherers...

I keep all of you who are having health--and other difficult--issues in my prayers.  You are all so inspiring in the way in which you are choosing to handle yourselves during very difficult times.

I spent my day driving 9 hours to and from Sioux City, Iowa to watch my boy run his first 3000 meter steeplecase.  It was fun.  Being his first time, he was very cautious--which was good.  He finished 9th in 10:19--but he finished with a smile on his face--which is all I cared about.  He also ran the 1600 leg in the distance medley relay on Friday night---which he never bothered telling my about until today...oh well--he saved me a hotel bill, I guess.

I have a 10 miler scheduled for tomorrow but my daughter invited me to the Y for "boot camp" .  She says it will kick my butt.  I kind of like the challenge but...I really want to run...hmmm. 

lamerunner

Belated greetings. Mike E. congrats on your son'smeet. it is fun to watch our kids compete!  DS had a track meet yesterday, a relay meet. He was in the 4 x  800 as a 6th grader. Did ok, held the spot as the second runner. Today he had the first soccer game of the Spring and tomorrow is lax.

i planned a rest day today but eventually went for a swim. My back has been bothering me and I have all the usual taper anxieties.   I am sure swimming  is not a suggested taper activity but it felt great.

Picked up my number this afternoon. My sister was visiting so she came with me after DS soccer game, where we froze in a cold wind in Salem NH.  Very busy in Boston but we scored a street parking spot on Newbury  Street just a block away from Hynes.  A Hummer was pulling out and I was right behind.  My sister is a former college transit driver so between the two of us we strategized it pretty well.

Raining hard now but Monday is looking ok, at least  ordinary in terms of weather.

Cheers, Sorry I missed the gathering. Had to get my sister to Logan on  schedule!

P.S. Mike, do the run and the boot camp.  And cool re the steeplechase. I  started girls steeple chase at our high school...

Dove

The Dovenator

Hi everyone,

Best wishes and fleet feet to the Boston runners.

Leslie, (((hugs))) for your foot and everything else.

I wish I could have been in Wenatchee this weekend with Mari, Dive and Mike. I had to settle for a lonely little training run instead. Sure has been cold and windy this winter in the PNW.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

TammyinGP

I had a lonely training run today also Dove. 16 miles. 10 miles felt good. 6 miles not so much. But it's done. on to 18 next week.

Great racing by many of you! Nancy, you are going to have a great Newport! 

it's movie night here - Ice Age, Dawn of the Dinosaurs. I think that is what the newest one is called.

have a good night all!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Heme, good job on finishing that run in what sound like nothing other than extremely difficult conditions. I tell ya, I'd be tempted to DNS something like that.

I agree - tough race!  I hate to be cold, and would have been tempted to stay home.  Either that or I would have been layered up like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man.....

Mariposai, Divechief, Rasmussen, Erika, TomS - great racing!   Tom - that is certainly a tough AG.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Still no running here but great to read up on the running/racing. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/