Masters Running

Tuesday Nov. 18 Runs, Non-Runs and other stuff (Read 571 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

There must be some physiological basis for different reaction to H&H, even beyond the issue of being acclimatized. My DW and I joke about it all the time; she's from Georgia and I'm from New Hampshire with the predictable differences in reaction to temps. About now, she's freezing, I'm comfortable. In the summer, she loves the heat, I'm wiped out and wilted.
    I don't know about that...my DH is from Southern California and I'm from Ohio, but about now I'm freezing and he's comfortable; in the summer I love the heat, and he's wiped out and wilted....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I don't know about that...my DH is from Southern California and I'm from Ohio, but about now I'm freezing and he's comfortable; in the summer I love the heat, and he's wiped out and wilted....
      To-may-to, to-mah-to, po-tay-to, po-tah-to... Big grin ETA: Hey AAMOS, could you drop me a note at tramps2 at gmail dot com? I've got a couple quick questions for you.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Maybe I'm just goofy.
        Well Mary.....um, never mind... Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tim - Tongue

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tim - whew, so many runners so far today maybe you can jump in ahead of twocat anyway and celebrate makin' it to your nemesis 16 yesterday with a couple of nonruns today. nonrunners anonymous - standings as of COR Monday 11/17 lamerunner - 7 erika - 15 twocat - 15 biketim - 16 tetsujin - 23 stumpy - ?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Getting constant reminders that 40 lbs might've been a bit much for my lunges yesterday... Oy. Good luck, Gordon! Sending good interview vibes your way!
                To-may-to, to-mah-to, po-tay-to, po-tah-to... Big grin ETA: Hey AAMOS, could you drop me a note at tramps2 at gmail dot com? I've got a couple quick questions for you.
                Sure. Right away. (There's another tramps??? Shocked)
                Masters 2000 miles
                wildchild

Carolyn

We're having a heat wave in Colorado - hope it reaches you guys who are freezing your tails off in a couple of days! Today's supposed to be in the 80s! Shocked (This is down in the flatlands - not up in the mountains where I live.) Yesterday, it was in the low 70s. I had a doctor's appointment in the afternoon, so went for a run afterwards, at about 4 pm. I got to run on one of my favorite trails near where I used to work - a dirt trail along a creek, with big trees. I started out running east and I had a really looong shadow running ahead of me on the trail. On the way back west, the sun was setting behind the mountains and it cooled off to about 60, which was delightful! 6 miles at a 10:37 avg pace.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

Carolyn, what a yummy run. Mary, I don't know about upside down. But the first thought I had seeing your picture yesterday was 'where's that extra weight she's whining about??'. Wink. the next one was BRRRR. Erika, don't hurt something else! Divechief, WTG on your DNF. Smile PDR, I hope your Dear Old Dad is feeling better. Bob, have a great time. Like Lou said, nice runs, as usual. Perch, get some rest. Nice runs & non runs everybody else too. you all amaze me. I think I just saw part of a discussion a little while ago about some of the heart rates you post. Don't know how you do it. I will illustrate. this morning I ran 3.52 (just gradually working back up), average pace 9:38, max 8 something. i think my ahr was 171, max was 184. I just realized this morning it's getting higher because I've stopped stopping for a few seconds every now & then to let it drop. Seemed it was better for endurance, & more representative if I didn't (stop). but sheesh. oh well. Then 22 min. on the elliptical, 2 sets on the weight machines, stability ball reverse crunches, side planks (1.5 min. each side), & russian twists. It's funny, a few weeks I wouldn't even consider the elliptical. Now afterI added it as a fill in after a mile or so, it's become a requirement. tough timewise. another mile on the run & I'll leave that off the program, I think. mta, good luck Gordon!!
                      Gordon - Good luck!!!!! Wildchild - Since you're in the CO mountains (but then, what part of CO isn't mountainous Wink ), didn't you and Mtnchk/Cindy meet up at a race last year? Yep, wearing the HR monitor upside down causes all sorts of difficulties. It thinks your heart's running in the wrong direction. Big grin 4.25 hilly miles this a.m. Mother Nature's call put the kabosh on doing my scheduled 5 miles. This has become a real issue the last couple of months. I'm going to have to reconfigure my route to be near Safeway when things start happening. Very close call on whether or not I'd make it home in time this a.m. Undecided And the closer I got, the worse things became. I could barely bend over to get my key out of my shoe, then it was like, "Clear a path! Get the he!! outta my way!!" Thankfully, there are two bathrooms in our house, and one is fairly closet to the front door. Clowning around

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Wildchild - Since you're in the CO mountains (but then, what part of CO isn't mountainous Wink ), didn't you and Mtnchk/Cindy meet up at a race last year?
                        Well, the whole east half of Colorado is flat. Denver is known as "queen city of the plains." The Rockies rise up quite abruptly from the plains just west of Boulder/Golden. I live in the foothills about 20 miles west of Golden, at about 9,300 ft elevation. I get to take advantage of the climate difference between the mountains and the flatlands, by running at home in the summer, and at work in the winter. Yeah, Cindy and I met at the Slacker Half Marathon in June! I got to meet Mairead, too.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

lamerunner

Another non-running day underway. Got up early and did another 60 minute indoor cycling workout. Different music today than yesterday. A thrill indeed. I also swam at lunch, 1500 yards. Wildchild your run sounds great! Isn t there snow out there now? I keep hearing about ski areas which are open...
                            7.29 miles, 10:48 pace. It felt a little easier than yesterday, meaning, I didn't have to walk up any of the hills. I tried running the last 1/4 mile fast, and it just about did me in to run 8:30 pace for that long. Talk about no endurance, no speed. Legs felt like molasses and the lungs like gunked up carburetors. But it was 50F with no wind and just a soft drizzle....ahhh, lovely. Fingers crossed for Gordon Big reorg at DH's company today...he thinks he is safe, I hope so. As much as I hate being kicked out of a club, I am very grateful and happy I DNF in the 40/0 group.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm going to have to reconfigure my route to be near Safeway when things start happening.
                              This is a regular issue for me, too. Even though I have my coffee and wake up for a while before I head out in the mornings, it generally takes me running a few miles to wake up my bowels. I sometimes run a short loop near my house, 2 miles or so, if I feel like this might be coming on so I can stop back in. I also have a strategically located gas station, and I'll admit to having several patches of woods that have saved me at times... This is a subject that many folks don't like talking about, but I will admit that this very reason has detered me from running in groups before - the fear that I will have to find a bathroom and none will be at hand.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Now that Spareribs is no longer posting here, we can talk about these things without getting fined. My last long run, 2 miles from a bathroom, the woods saved me. Anyone else like to share?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."