Masters Running

Saturday June 4 Hot and Steamy Runs (Read 454 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

3:30 for Ek and 4:11 for Nancy.  She asked me to post the times.  Ek has trained very hard and at some pretty brisk paces too.  Nancy had some difficulty with the heat, but still ran a great race.  Proud of them both.    Spareribs

Nice running for the goddesses. Maybe MikeMP could keep up.

No particular reason, but did anyone say anything about the out-and-back aid station 

along Yaquina Bay at miles 11 and 17? 

Even Dove sneaked a stop there last  year.

I ran a 50k today. we have only been above 70 degrees once since September and wouldn't you know it...

83 degrees today and this race started at 10:00 so we were running in the heat of the day.

3rd in masters for me, 6th overall woman. I haven't placed that high in quite awhile. It helped that i had a teammate to run with for the 1st 23 miles, until she took off during 5 miles of deep sand. My team mate ended up 3rd overall woman and 1st masters. 

dove - was that the Mt. Rainier to Puget Sound one? 

Is it on trails or paved roads?  sounds like 50K was a wise choice.

what's next? are you going to be up in Seattle for this year's RnR with the posie's and divechief?

francesca should be back from the 100K over in Italiano too.

I'm getting ready for the party, especially if there's any oysters left over. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dove

The Dovenator

dove - was that the Mt. Rainier to Puget Sound one? 

Is it on trails or paved roads?  sounds like 50K was a wise choice.

what's next? are you going to be up in Seattle for this year's RnR with the posie's and divechief?

francesca should be back from the 100K over in Italiano too.

I'm getting ready for the party, especially if there's any oysters left over. Smile

Yes, Rainier2Ruston. Mostly paved trail but 5 miles of the most hellish deep sand starting at mile 20.

I'll miss this years Seattle RNR. We just bought a place in Arizona and I'm heading down there to start furnishing it in time to host friends for this years Javelina JundredSmile

"it's just like having fun, but different"

evanflein

Nancy and I had a great time here, and survived the heat which was rumored to be as high as low-80's. I had some foot cramping in the last 8 miles that caused me some problems, but managed to almost meet my goal of 3:30 with a 3:30:49. Good enough for 1st in AG, but don't know overall placings yet.

Nancy struggled with the heat (and aren't those hot latina wimmin s'posed to handle the heat well??) in the second half and stripped down to the bare basics at the turnaround, tossing her Omak Warrior's singlet to her DH in the process. It was still her second best time, and already plotting her next race.

Special thanks and kudos go out to Blou (the Canadian) and Winejunkie for helping us out on the course today. I turned down winejunkie's offer of help but should've taken him up on it because Rasmussenmp was in no shape to take advantage of it... but I'll let Mike tell that story. 

As I was finishing, I heard an enthusiastic "Go Erika!!!" but I wasn't sure who that was from. As soon as I got done though, I saw that it was Woodslady!! We shared a hug and went to wait for the others. Then we all went to lunch (Mariposai and me, Rasmussenmp and Runnerwife, Mariposai's DH and MIL and Woodslady) without a single drop of alcohol (!) and took a group picture afterwards. Photographic evidence to follow....

I leave tomorrow to meet my DH in Portland, then off we go to Scottsdale for a few days for his company's conference. What a way to recover!

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow!  Yay Erika!  Yay Mariposi   Yay Dove!  Awesome  running, goddesses!

10.6 steep trail miles this afternoon in the local state park.  13:25 avg pace, 3,600 ft elevation gain/loss.  65° and part sun/part overcast.  Fun.

Off to visit DD tomorrow in Leadville. CO.  She's doing a 10-day Wilderness First Responder course, and tomorrow is a day off for her.  She's taking this course so she can lead trips for the Cornell Outdoor Education program in the fall.  She's taking the course from the school my DH teaches for - but she didn't want to take a class he was the instructor for.  We're looking for a place to go hiking that won't be too snowy - Leadville is at 10,000 ft.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Way to go, Dove, Erika,  and Mariposai!  You ladies rocked your respective courses today.  Green with happy-for-you jealousy! Big grin

Holly - You gonna keep up us in suspense much longer as to how you did?  (Or did am I not seeing something in your posts??)

A general "I don't care" attitude took over my body and mind today, so no workout.  I did, however, manage to each more than my fair share of chips and homemade salsa.  Therefore, I must work out in the a.m. if I don't want it to end up around my waistline.

The talk with my friends today went really well.  They each have 26 years of sobriety, so they'll be someone strong for Shorty to lean on when he gets home.  She's a total kick in the pants and both of us have always liked her, so I'm hoping he reaches out to them.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance