Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 8.22.23 (Read 38 times)

BTY

SteveP, I want to point out that I appreciate the sentiments but I'm not a great athlete.  I'm a fast swimmer for a runner that can't run anymore.  That's good enough for me.

Today's early workout was a swim without a main set.  I did a bunch of 5 x 100's, doing kicks with fins, pulls with pull buoys.  Then there was no main set.  I just went right into a 100 yard freestyle to finish it off.  And I think I mentioned that instead of doing a cool down 100, I've been trying to swim just a little faster than the day before for the past few workouts.  Today I was aiming for a 1:15, and actually swam a 1:13.  The last 50 yards was definitely all-out, but I didn't really sprint the first 50.  Either that was a really good formula for pacing, or I may be able to be just a touch faster in the future.  I think that would translate to a 1:07 or 1:08 in a meet, with competition, off the blocks, properly tapered.

Have a good evening, Masters!  I'm off to the birthday party!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

BTY - you're still way too young to know but, especially as someone who has survived (and not) some daunting IM swims that, unless you were out for a PR or something, you could do at the drop of a hat compared to me,you are a great runner-turned-swimmer, shot putter, cyclist, etc. athlete and who likes chicken wings to boot.  You'll know too in about a decade-and-a-half.

SteveP, I want to point out that I appreciate the sentiments but I'm not a great athlete.  I'm a fast swimmer for a runner that can't run anymore.  That's good enough for me.

File this under "of course." I arrange a lunch with a few local guys about every five weeks. My goal is to find a day as many of the crew can make. Today was one such lunch. I suggested three places. One of the gang, replied with a fourth. I am not a huge fan of the place, but it was clear he did not want any of the other three. Who did not show up today? Of course. . .

twocat - that's terrible maybe worthy to have the next invite include a "let's go back to the old standbys" as "that-last-place-wasn't-all-it's-cracked-up-to-be" or something Mr. No Show will notice, if not have him spring for everyone's waste of money.

ps - before you're too old which, believe it or not, I can assure you will eventually happen, maybe check with Wildchild, Tammy, Leslie, etc. and go do that hardest hilliest marathon they have (and like) just for the fun and experience of it and not for time.

Speaking of passwords, after I apparently inadvertently signed up for tablet protection last January (2022) after having to get a replacement tablet on a promotional deal when the first one got too broken up slipping out of my hands all the time, off the bed to the hardwood floor, off the also slippery car roof, etc. and I let them create a new password since I would never use it again (let alone be as stupid to create the stupid one they gave the account) to transfer the apps, etc. from tablet no. one to the new one, transferring from no. two to today's no. three needed the same password but, fortunately, it was stupid enough but, luckily, enough visually related to the store where they did it and 2022 year at the end, that, voila, I remembered it a year-and-a-half later.

ps - several of my hs classmates use their phone numbers from the "operator, number please" days, old street addresses, etc. I was going to use my IM time for the numbers part of one, . . . but it was too long.

And speaking of masks, when I was told "you don't look that old" at the weekly Tuesday senior discount day, I could say, "masks do all worts of wonders."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I had a second interview today with a firm that really sounds great.  BUT the receptionist told me that they had someone else in for a second interview yesterday.  I just hope they get back to me sooner rather than later, one way or the other.

3 miles for me today in 73 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Stella and the Fellas won their Little League World Series game today so they live to play again tomorrow night!  Go Nolensville!  Stella has 3 hits so far in the Series, which is the most by any girl in history at the Little League World Series.

Holly- you will outshine the competition.

I recommend The Monkey for a hard, hilly, “just for fun” (because marathons are so fun….) marathon.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

3.1 pre-work running (with some walking iso tummy issues) miles and .8 walking before work

one more 12 hour shift to go then off again for 6 days - love blocking my schedule for these stretches off

sounds like a productive day here in RA world, thanks for the kind words about my cuties 

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - good luck.

I recommend The Monkey for a hard, hilly, “just for fun” (because marathons are so fun….) marathon.

KSA - whoops. I wasn't thinking of one as hilly as The Monkey for twocat, especially that time of year when it can be cold and also might rain, if not snow, especially as the double kitty is still AG competitive enough not yet to have to be reduced to rationalizing running 26.2 miles as being "fun" so maybe KCM, after all.   

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

At work, I have to come up with 14 character passwords that have uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters.  They expire every 60-90 days and I am running out of ideas. Do you have any tricks for coming up with passwords? Password managers don't work on many of the places I need to log into.

I had used my old desktop for work stuff on occasion.  I got a nastygram pointing out that I used a company password on personal sites.

The Return Of Henrun!!!  It may be my new favorite movie.

From another friend in Oregon:

I did follow PT's recommendation for a rest day.  I had a blood drive after work.  Unfortunately, no one was traumatized.

I got a call from someone in our corporate office.  I answered the phone as "Sister Mary Margaret from Church of the Righteous Brothers.  then started singing "Don't Lose That Praying Feeling".  The reason for the call was my email signature.  It contains my job title "Lowly (Possibly Rabid) Warehouse Rat".  It was an interesting call.  Time will tell if the GM gets contacted.

SteveP