Masters Running

Monday - 11/26.....back to work time (Read 459 times)

King of PhotoShop

Before TC jumps in, I wouldn't cover vegetables I'm trying to roast. Covering protects them from browning, which is what you want to happen.

Marj, thanks.  That was my favorite part of the post and it's all true!  Spareribs

I kinda figured that's what the problem was.  They were still good, but just needed a little extra something.  On the other hand, my  meatloaf turned out just mahvelus!! Smile

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks a lot dave for all the stomach info.
        I have to go to the gastro’s next week too.
        Good luck on yours.  
        Trivia to Timbo - who still stays in racing shape at 136-138 pounds 40 years after his biggest marathon victory in the same European city where he was born and 36 years after he should have won again in Canada if the East German doping program hadn’t taken 20 more years to be exposed? He was one of the founders of the Boulder-Boulder.
        Jay - did you have to race-walk three half marathons in a month to qualify for Half Fanatics? You’re in good company with Opie, Dove, Francesca and who else here too.  Based on your account of rocky trail running giving race-walkers as much trouble as running barefoot does, I’m guessing there’s no danger of you turning into an ultra-racer with the goddesses though.

Mariposai - are DH and DS-1 moving into marathons too for next year’s Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel?  I hope it works out for lynden, especially with wildchild coming and I’m sure dove and francesca’ll be back. What about leslie, erika, holly?  Divechief again too. 
        ps - you were missed on the out-and-backs of this year’s Seattle Marathon.  Divechief too. I was also secretly hoping rhoon might have been able to make the SM his fall marathon but it sounds like he's frozen in up there until springtime.

Thanks Ribs. Glad you're getting more and more into the fun part of running too.

ps - are you one of the lucky ones like Frank Shorter still being in racing shape/weight after 40 years too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sorry, Tet.  The day before "The Tunnel," I'll be suffering at the Mt. Hood 50.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, .... It seems you've had a great racing season, and congrats on the PRs and nice cash awards.

PRs?  Cash rewards?  I am mystified...Smile

Ribs - too funny!  I had to read that out loud to my DH.

CNYrunner and Lamerunner - so glad to see you both posting again!

Made it home after a busy, long day, and my cold is worse now (whine, whine) and I feel pretty carpy.  I'm a little bit worried about the document signing I need to do tomorrow with a client at an assisted living center.....would it be overboard to wear a face-mask?  I certainly don't want to get our elderly client sick.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Timbo - sounds like a nice gal to meet. In re: Donna....well, I know you say you are not a mean spirited person, and I know you are not. But leading her on like that is mean-spirited. intentionally or not. it is. And in my opinion, the fact that she tells you she's with someone else and he's moving in, and then is on a singles site advertising herself as single and available, should only be further confirmation that she's not the kind of woman you'd want for a long term/possible marriage relationship. consider yourself lucky that you found out her true colors before you made a lifelong commitment. She's a player. Let her play her own game and move on.

+1 on every single point. Tim, we care about you, which is why we're saying what we're saying. Hope everything works out for the best for you.

Back to work and back to school today. I shared this picture with DS on FB yesterday to ease the pain of parting:

After a well-earned rest day yesterday (ran 12 on Saturday), I woke up this morning wanting to run hills. Got 9 miles in at midday today and I feel completely back to myself now. Not sure how I'll fare at my 5k this weekend, since I haven't experienced any speed in what feels like ages, but I figure I should trust that I'm capable and leave it at that. If nothing else, I'm quite enjoying just running as I feel like lately, now that I've formally broken ties with that coach I had used for the past six months or so. Onward and upward, my friends!

King of PhotoShop

Tet, you are talking about the 2 lbs. for every inch of height formula.  I have to confess I'm no longer there.  6 feet tall, 147 lbs., so technically I'm 3 lbs. overweight. But in reality, back in the 80's when I ran well, I was under 140.  Frank is "Shorter" than I am by a couple of inches, so it's easier for him.  But last time I saw him he was really gaunt, with that runner's hungry look. I don't have that look any more. With rue my heart is laden.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Dave--I really hope they can figure out what's wrong and it's nothing serious.  Good luck.

I went 5.3 in 40:13.  You know, as I get older, it seems that I am less tolerant of the extreme temperatures.  It wasn't even cold, tonight--19o--what am I going to do when it really gets cold?

Okay--I gotta go.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - the end of the month (July) is okay too. <<<(White River 50 mile)>>>, . . .

and if you did a double  Hood/Tunnel we'd get you into Marathon Maniacs after all.

Whoa.  I'm glad I didn't know about that two pounds per inch formula.

However,  lots of rues at this stage make so many golden friends even more precious. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

fatozzig I gotta admit I was cracking up when I read what you did!  Spareribs is right, no covering the vegetables!  ROFLMAO  Big grin  Kinda made my day with this.  Now about those beets.  I am not sure I would roast them this way, although I have to admit to having never tried with them.  I typically wrap them in foil and roast them at 400° between 60 to 90 minutes depending on their size.  Try this this beet "recipe."  Slice the roast beets and top with cranberry sauce (homemade if at all possible), blue cheese and some apple cider vinegar (just a drizzle).  It is really good.  For the cranberry sauce try the Drunken Cranberry Sauce from my Allrecipes page.

Holly S. from what I know if you have a virus a face mask will not help.  If you are in the midst of a full blown cold it might be best to see if there is any way to get somebody else to go to the signing or see if it can be postponed a few days.  In any case, I hope you feel better soon.

OrangeMat great cartoon!  I told the joke to my DW and she laughed!  Big grin  Hmm, she never laughs at my jokes . . . Sad

Mike E why freeze of course!  Wink

My ankle felt all better this morning so I hit the elliptical for an hour.  If it still feels good in the morning that will mean a 1 mile walk, 2 mile run and 1 mile walk on the TM.  Hey it is freezing here too and there is no way to dress in these temperatures for that kind of whatever it is!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Whew, finally skimmed the last 5 days.  I love spending time off-line at our cottage, but catching up with on-line stuff (and laundry) is quite a chore.

Enke's Recap:

Timbo's life is material for a movie screenplay.  Or at least a TV pilot.

Holly has a funky monkey-leg.  Take it easy and heal up quickly!

Many interesting RW refugees made an appearance, did you all scare them away already?

Mike E's mother was a nun turned biker chick.  Well that certainly explains things!

Ribs has so many friends, some of them have the same name!

Twocat....has mastered the art of roasting vegetables inside a pumpkin on an outside fire after first growing all said vegetables himself and pre-roasting them and collecting the firewood from 50 miles away and ...... and....can I come to dinner?

CNYrunner is getting big and "small" PRs!!!  Honey, there is no such thing as a "small" PR, or whatever word you used.

Leslie needs one of those watches (which she probably is already wearing) that says the day of the week too, like for example, mine says "MO", so I know it is Monday, at least if I didn't need my glasses to see it I could tell you what day it is.

Tet will lose his future job as a weatherman before he ever gets it because after a many days of rain in Seattle, it was SUNNY for the Seattle Marathon this year!!!

I ran on Thanksgiving morning, before heading to the cottage, 4.2miles.  I think it was awesome, but I can't really remember now.

I wanted to do a streak from Thanksgiving to New Years, but unfortunately, my streak got unstruck on the day after Thanksgiving, I think because of the cold pouring rain, but I can't really remember now what my excuse was.

I did run yesterday on my 5 mile hiking trail in the Olympic National Forest.  I clearly remember it was awesome.  No snow though, I was hoping for snow at the higher elevations.

I am so dying to run light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel marathon next July.  Can I ramp up my mileage enough to do it?  It is certainly going to be a goal of mine.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tet - White River after Mt. Hood??  Um . . . no. Smile

TwoKitty - This is the first time I've roasted all those veggies together, but in the past I've roasted just the beets (cut into chunks) with onion, garlic, olive oil, s/p, and balsamic vinegar (yum!).  I think I took the foil off sooner.  And I used a different pan this time, so maybe the combination is what didn't get them carmelized much.

I have to admit, ! was confused about what day it was for awhile on Saturday.  One of the biggest reasons is prior to this rest period, I was running on Sundays at the McKay Tract and that's when I would listen to my favorite podcasts, especially 3 Nonjoggers.  What was I doing Saturday?  Running at the McKay Tract while listening to 3 Nonjoggers.  More than once I had a moment of not being 100% sure it was Saturday. Roll eyes  Chalk it up to vacation brain.  At least that's the excuse I'm going with for now.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Trivia to Timbo - who still stays in racing shape at 136-138 pounds 40 years after his biggest marathon victory in the same European city where he was born and 36 years after he should have won again in Canada if the East German doping program hadn’t taken 20 more years to be exposed? He was one of the founders of the Boulder-Boulder.

I have absolutely no idea   Roll eyes

OK, to clarify something after going back and re-reading my post. I did say something that was inaccurate ....that we had a date planned. She messaged me "hey there" as I was minding my own business trying to find the wackiest woman alive on a dating site...Smile  It's just I found it very odd / funny / strange when I looked at her profile and it was actually Donna of all people.....and yes, with the photo I took of her in front of all my race bibs and medals in my living room (now that's low and mean to me) We chatted a few times about running and stuff, then she asked if I wanted to meet for a drink or something. Ok, in my post I said we had a date planned, but I really meant there 'could' be a date planned if I would. I would imagine that threw some people off, but I in no way want to meet her, and I was not insinuating I wanted to. I don't want her anymore and I'm fine....oh, still stings at times when I ponder my boring life Wink

But me leading her on......um

.....I'm handling things pretty well considering. Considering I'm sitting here with a very beautiful and pricey ring that she picked out and wanted...I had it specially made just. for. her, so I can't return it. She told me every single day how much she loved me, and wanted to be with me forever. She had a date and beautiful location all planned out, and told all her friends and family....I wanted to marry her, and she said the same. The last Weds I was with her - the last time I saw ever her, she told me she loved me and said Tim....do you promise to always love me - I said yes my pretty baby. She held me like she didn't want to let me go...as we looked deeply into each others eyes. I honestly thought everything was wonderful....I truly did

The very next morning I get a "text" saying we are done. No explanation or anything. I cannot express enough with words, the hell she put me through, when I only loved her with my whole heart - I trusted her with my heart, and life completely . I spent many many nights making my pillow wet with tears of agony and pain....I loved her more than anything, and I was so confused and heart broke, and didn't understand any of what happened. Honestly, I was such a mess I don't know how I went to work everyday, and there were days I wish I would never wake up - really

Now after saying that....that's where I came up with the - do you know what I "could" do to her, if I was a mean person. That should make better sense now I hope

Ok, I logged out of the dating site....and sorry if I did something you may consider wrong. But I never intended that....honestly, I was just having fun, and was just curious about her more than anything. No I'm not some weirdo stalker guy, but my curiosity got the best of me. Just being honest....bet others would do the same if you were in my shoes

LOL.....I do seem to live and interesting and exciting life...and many of my friends say they should make a TV series about me and my life, or a book.

But actually, I'm just a good hearted runner guy that likes to express himself.....and I admit to stuff that most would never dream of admitting

Wouldn't be boring if I came here and only said....hey, I ran 8 miles tonight, and 6 this morning Smile

I'm just me...speaking of which - Tammy, I'm not too skinny...I call it a runners build Wink

Ok....now what was Tet saying LOL

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mike E

MM #5615

So...speaking of Light at the End of the Tunnel.  With a limit of 400 runners, if I'm ready to register the first day it opens, will I get in?

I went 5.3 in 40:13.  You know, as I get older, it seems that I am less tolerant of the extreme temperatures.  It wasn't even cold, tonight--19o--what am I going to do when it really gets cold?

Big grin  Honestly, MikeE, I'm having trouble getting the layers right.  On Saturday it was 19° but the wind chill was 9°.  I added a wind breaker at the last minute and was way too warm. I felt like something was choking me the whole run.  I need to get a different neck gaiter.  Does anyone have a Buff?  I'm thinking about the wool one...

http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/wool-buff-reg/styles/filter/skiing 

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich