Masters Running

Saturday, 6/18 running, racing, walking, XT & life events (Read 459 times)

Henrun

Sarge-welcome to the world of retirement. For the first few years I worked part-time but now not at all. I still get calls for part-time work but I love being totally retired. Enjoy!

This morning Marj and I cycled downtown to watch the Bruins' Rolling Rally-it was quite a wait but a real thrill when they came by. I was able to hoist one of the many 'fake' Stanley Cups and Marj snapped a photo.

When we returned home we went for a steamy 2.5 mile run in the local reservoir. Tonight we're having friends over for dinner and tomorrow we're off to Providence to see an art exhibit with another friend. A great way to spend a weekend.

Dave59 good call on the ferry.  It will also make the trip a bit more memorable.

fatozzig I do not know what happened or with who but from your description the remark about "tragic" might have been innocent enough.  I am not sure what I would say in similar circumstances.  In my case, it would have just been a way to express sympathy with your plight; that includes dealing with your DHs addition.  The fact that he is doing well in rehab is wonderful news.  I guess, if I were expressing the same sentiment my thought would have been that the past can be "tragic" without the future being so as well. I would be wishing you and your DH the very best going forward as I do every day.

tomwhite I got to remember that GBC training plan acronym!  LOL

I actually popped back in to correct an error before my DW ever saw this thread!  This year is anniversary 29 not 28!  I should really know better since I also know next year is a big one that is sure going to cost me!  Big grinCry  <-- Not sure which!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

But the single most important thing out of all this is my husband is getting sober.  Nothing else matters, and I won't let anyone take that joy away from me.

That is the right attitude Leslie. Shortly matters, everything else are just "things". Keep up that strong attitude.

No words from tamster yet and mike?

Good call on twocat's part to keep the years correctly. That mistake could cost you a lot of  "points".

A lazy day around here. Just finished watching Ip Man, an excellent historical movie with my son (I was working in my garden when he came over to invite me to watch the movie with him.) I dropped everything to do it since those invitations don't come that often.

A lovely gentle rain outside right now. I think I will go for a bike ride, a short one, just to get to the bike store to buy me a new helmet Joking

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

How are the Ragnar people doing? I know the team name is Team Trout Slap, but have been unable to figure out how to follow the race.  I did see the photo sent to FB by Byll.  thanks, Byll!

Anybody heard how the fantastic Erika did? 

And 100 miles?   Holy Moley!

Guess I will get with the program, and go out in the mist and run a bit. 

Happy Father's Day, all you Dads out there!

Mike E

MM #5615

Way to goLeslie!  I know I've said this before, but Shorty is a very lucky man!

Happy retirements and anniversaries to all of those who apply.

Well, this has been a very exciting day for me.  I got up at 4:00am and drove 2 1/2 hours up to Duluth to watch a few friends in the Garry Bjorklund half and the Grandmas Marathon.  I saw hermosaboy and his youngest fly by right as I got to the 22 1/2 mile mark, where I planted myself for most of the day--they did very well--I believe Rob said 1:28, while his older boy left them and...was it 1:21?  Something like that.  I saw many of my racing teammates AND I saw our very own Tammy...and...well, I don't want to steal her thunder so I won't say anything more about it but....umm somebody  PR'd today!  She looked fantastic going by me, too!  (I was kind of wondering if she might have taken a shortcut along the way)  Then she invited me to Old Chicago where I was able to talk to her and meet some of her family--including that kid of hers who she was bragging about the other day.  Well, from the little time I spent with them, I can say that she has every reason to be proud.  Although, they should, probably get back home soon before any more teeth fall out!

My youngest son went up with me again, too.  When we got to the finish line, he ditched more for a couple of girls.  If I had known girls liked nose rings, I would have gotten one a long time ago!

Okay--I'll just wait for the rest of the race results.

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, hang in there.  I think sometimes people don't know what to say so they don't say anything. Hope Shorty takes up Lou's offer to talk.

Yay for Tammy and Rob & sons!  Looking forward to some RRs.

13 trail miles today in the local mountain state park.  I should have taken a gel or two - just stopped for water a couple times at picnic areas along the way (they have hand pumps) but I ran out of energy by the end.  I did this same run twice recently without anything but water, but guess that wasn't good enough today.  Anyway, beautiful day and beautiful trail. Now I need a nap.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Leslie, I agree wholly with Twocat.  I think they used the word tragic to imply that it was something done to Shorty, not any of his fault, to deflect the blame, to sympathize.

I hope we get a Trout Slap Report, with lots of pictures.  And sounds like Tammy's fears were unfounded too!  Yeah Tamster!

I went out late, around 4pm for 4 easy miles in the drizzle.  Yup, drizzle.  It was nice actually.  I ran into a friend pulling down her garage sale signs and stopped to chat until I was way cold.

Nope, not talking about the job, it's no big deal but I just can't jinx myself right now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I got a call from Tamster...she sounded radiant!!!!  I am so darn proud of that girl!

tamster should be getting ready to run her 10k in a few hours.

enkie, you and I will have a phone date Monday night Wink

15 miles on the bike. The gently drizzle make it much more fun. My carmen (my new -to-me bike) is just perfect for me. I think we are going to be good for each other this summer Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxEUo6yIMo4&feature=related

Now it is time to start dinner. The movie DS#2 and I watched today made me  hungry for Chinese food...so Szechuann tofu with mushrooms, braised eggplant and zucchini stir fry on top of rice noodles and Lemongrass pork stir fry  will be dinner tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good for you Leslie! I can imagine your outing was very challenging, but you must feel good now! I can not wait for Tammy to check in, and the Ragnar team too!! I now only have 3 puppies left and had them all in the house for a while. We worked on stairs....going up is a piece of cake, but coming back down is another story. Hudson mastered it right away, while the last one howled and cried, but she finally came down when she figured I wasn't rescuing her. I hope to get a double digit run in tomorrow, before another one gets picked up.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Maniac 505

Sarge: Awesome.  I fear My retirement was set back a couple of years.  I don't expect to work after I pull the plug, but It can certainly make some since if it is fun

Fato:  I think you handled that Magnificently.  It may well have been an innocent choice of terms by the second "victim"  in that his reference of "tragedy" meant he was upset by how Shorty was treated by his employer.  If so,  he will understand what you said, and he will know exactly where you are coming from.  If on the other hand,  What he meant is what you heard, then either you set him straight and maybe he will think next time. or nothing will help him, but You will feel better Undecided   Just my take on things, but what do I know?

Congrats on all the anniversary people and I really want to hear from Tammy

I now only have 3 puppies left and had them all in the house for a while. We worked on stairs....going up is a piece of cake, but coming back down is another story. Hudson mastered it right away, while the last one howled and cried, but she finally came down when she figured I wasn't rescuing her.

I never thought about them having trouble going down stairs.  Sounds adorable!

Yea, Tammy!!

Twocat - Your insight makes sense.  Thank you.  Talk about a character building experience.  This is one for the history books for me!

I've been on the foot all day and it's feeling G-O-O-D!  It just seems to tire out easily.  Will give it a few more days before I try anything significant (no, not running).

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bravo, Tammy.  Can't wait to read the RR.  Still waiting to hear about Team Trout Slap!  What time did they start, anyway?

Mariposai.   Good for you deciding to do the race next weekend!   I bet you will do really well.

Erika, you are really something!  Congratulations!

henrun.   My next Ipod piece will be Russian Easter Overture.  That will hep me up!

lamerunner

Good evening and belated greetings. Leslie, I am glad your foot is improving and you are doing great with Shorty's employer/collegaues. I don't think people always know what to say in those situations. The important things are that Shorty is doing well and you are handling things well, incredibly gracefully.

Congrats to Tammy!

it sounds like the Ragnar crowd is having fun and good that Spareribs has a harem. 

Mike, great that you got to run with college son and I am jealous. DD says she nees to get back to running but i doubt she would run with me.. maybe in a few years

I got in a semi-long run this morning, approx. 14 miles on the rail trail at Massabesic. Very humid and trail flooded at one section, which is pretty rare. saw one snake too, long black snake the width of a garden hose. Nothing poisonous here in NH though.

Dh and I actually  got out this evening and sas "Midnight in Paris," at a small theater in Concord. it was fun, very Woody Allen, great literary references and scenes of Paris.  DS was at a cookout/party with classmates and DD at a graduation party.

Is mari running another marathon soon??

King of PhotoShop

Leslie, good for you. I was happy to read your words.  Growth is hard, and it showed me how well you are coping in a difficult time.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Talk about a character building experience.  This is one for the history books for me!

And you've already got so much character!  {{{hugs}}} 

I always think that the toughest things we go through in life are often the Good Lord teaching us life lessons to help us grow.  But, to be honest, most days I think, "Lord, please don't teach me anything today..."   Undecided

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."