Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 2.12.14 (Read 37 times)

Mariposai

C-R, give yourself more credit with your spelling .

This is how I explain to my clients the difference with  a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a resume. CV (basically means your life history in English) contains all the person's work, publications, research, awards, special area of expertise, etc. A resume contains your work history.

Now in Europe, Asia, and S.A employers expect to see your C-V and not just the short version we are use here in USA.

Another fun way to look at it is this: an average human like me will get a job with just a resume. Those who are in the field of academia, research, inventors, actors, etc. would need a C-V.

Ohh and BTW, if you are talking about curriculum vitae in plural, please don't say: curriculums vitaes. The correct form is: curricula vitae following the correct Latin grammar.

Ok, enough of that. Sunny and 48F here. Gorgeous weather, but I am still being a very good girl and no running. I am feeling better btw, will go for a few miles tomorrow. Thanks for all your prayers, vibes and cyber hugs.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

This forum crack me up!  I guess it is why I come here to procrastinate. 

Mariposai I had no idea there was an "official" difference between resume and CV!  I just thought CV was an obnoxious term for resume academics used to make themselves feel important.  I am still not sure academics should feel important now that know there is a real difference but still . . .

enkephalin as a 5' 4" guy I just want to lodge an official complaint with the human genetics board that created in women a preference for tall men!    Nevertheless, I hope you find the guy as impressive as his CV.

tomwhite good luck with the biopsy results!

No run for me today.  Elliptical instead.  Judging by the nor'easter coming up from the south that apocalypse I warned you all about may be coming sooner than I thought!  For the record, I will not be running outside tomorrow!  If there is something worse than the apocalypse the prophesies likely mention something about me first going out to run in a storm like we are expecting to arrive this evening.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

NHLA

9 miles 1 hr 20 min cold and snowing. Started the generator so I'm ready for the storm.

It is slippery out there.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

For the record, I will not be running outside tomorrow!  If there is something worse than the apocalypse the prophesies likely mention something about me first going out to run in a storm like we are expecting to arrive this evening.

me too, irrespective of whether or not augurs with augers augur it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, folks.  I need the lift today.   The Hub says irregardless and it annoys me.

Slept in this a.m., so I'll be strength training after work for about an hour.  Hoping tomorrow's 8 EZ are better than yesterday's 7.  Irregardless, it'll be a wet run as we're still getting the much needed rain.

The Hub - Went for what we thought was going to simply be a dental cleaning and full-mouth x-rays.  Turns out he needs a crown.  Upwards of $2,000 worth.  Oh - if we pay the whole thing up front in cash, we get a 10% discount.  This is gonna hurt.

But on a positive note - yesterday I signed up for a 30k next weekend down on the other side of the Bay Area (about 6 hrs away).  A friend of a friend is offering up her house for a night's stay, so that'll save me $100+ in hotel expenses.  The course is on a portion of a 50-miler I want to run in October, so hopefully, I'll be able to get a fairly decent idea of what I'll be up against.  Not planning on setting any PRs, just looking at it as a support long run.  Oh - and DFL in all race lengths get a special prize.  . . . . Did I mention I'm using this an EZ supported LR? 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Sunny and 48F here. Gorgeous weather, but I am still being a very good girl and no running.

Good girl!  (and I know that is tough...) 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

as a 5' 4" guy I just want to lodge an official complaint with the human genetics board that created in women a preference for tall men!   

As a woman who is just over 5' 1", I happen to think guys who are 5'4" are pretty hot......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Love that photo of the Rideau Canal! When I lived in Canton, NY (Northern, NY and very close to Canada) we’d go up for Winterlude every February and skate the canal and have a blast. Thanks Tramps and Hi Tall!

Ran 10 miles with Iron J this morning at Botox—eye bag reducing temperatures of 9-10º and at least up from the -10º it was when I got out of bed.  Hudson didn’t even come over for a snuggle when I went downstairs, he just burrowed deeper into the blankets in his crate. Smart dog!

When my mother was learning to speak English as a 35 year-old and newly arrived in the U.S., she thought it so odd that you cut a tree down and then you cut it up. I remember thinking, wow she is right!  Read “What Made the Crocodile Cry” by Susie Dent for some great twists on language and language usage. She’s the words expert on the British TV show “Countdown”

Good Luck to you and Pickles TW....will be thinking of you.

NHLA

snowing

Very informative thread today!!  I definitely learned a few things!!

MVS track hill repeats were for dinner tonight!!  I am so pleased to say every one of my hill repeats was faster than the fastest one I did last month on the same hill - guess my training is coming along.....now to just stay healthy!!   To aid in staying healthy, I enjoyed a fabulous 90 minute massage today and am now going to foam roll a bit and soak in the hot tub ..... all while totally ignoring the fact there is another storm heading our way!!

Have a wonderful night my friends - sweet dreams!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Very informative thread today!!  I definitely learned a few things!!

Really?  I couldn't understand a dang thing...

Good night.

Maniac 505

I always thought CV was a fancy way to say Résumé, but since we already stole the word from France, I never knew why we needed to make it more pretentious?  Thanks for the clarification Mari,

3 ez for me after a 1 hour dive at the Seattle aquarium.  I have the next 3 weeks off,  I might look for somewhere to drive or bus to Portland? Vancouver?  Washington coast?  have to see what the weather does.  The only thing on the calendar is the Chilly Hilly Bike ride with Dove and friends.  

I just had a thought,  Enke:  You have a bike right?  Want to join us at Chilly Hilly Sunday Feb 23?  I know I am not nearly in the same shape as Dove but she is running a 24 hour race the weekend before.  There will be 3 Bromptons on the trip, but Dove has invited her STP (Seattle to Portland) training group to join us for the ride.  (she is doing STP on her folding bike)

Chilly Hilly is not a race, just a supported ride.  The full Chilly Hilly course is about 33 miles and 2500' elevation but we are staying open to many chances to cut the course short or eliminate some of the hills depending on weather and how we feel.

evanflein

Nice recovery plan, Denise!

8.2 miles tonight with some speed work in there. 4 x .5 mile @ 7:48 and 2 x .25 mile @ 7:30

Pro and WRFB tell me I don't do my intervals fast enough, so figured I'd bump up the pace a bit. That got my attention....

Don't know that I could hold pace on these on the track, feels a little like cheating to do it on the treadmill. Oh well. At -26 and with all that ice out there, I'm certainly not doing this kinda thing outside!

SteveP

Here's hoping for benign and getting out of the aches & pains index

When living in Lake Orion, MI., I'd skate often as a grade school kid. It would be tough because I'd bust hump to shovel a rink as large as I could, then snowmobilers would use the banks as a jump and tear the ice up. Often, in Feb, we'd get rain and a refreeze with smooth as glass ice and the entire side of the lake would be mine. the night time outings were the best.

I ditched Asics as well.

Nice picture NHLA

SteveP