Masters Running

What, No One Started the Wednesday Daily Yet? (Read 471 times)

Hi all!

3 easy miles before work this morning (and before it got too hot), trying to measure out a course for a charity 5K I'm putting together for the company.  Came up short and will need to go back to the drawing board.  Calf is now feeling just fine and I'm starting to ramp the mileage back up slowly..... just in time for the worst of the stinkin' hot and humid weather!  But no rest for the wicked, I have a 25K race end of Sept to train for!

PBJ..... re. deerflies.... I've had some luck with a local construction worker tip....... attach a strip of a fresh dryer softener sheet to the back of your hat.  they don't like the smell and won't land.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Love the poem, Avenger Doggie, but I'm wondering what your Dad thinks of it.

Yea, JLynne!  Just don't do TMTS.  It's hard, but it's well worth taking it slow.

Holly - Here's some info and here I found that talks about the muscles that make up the hamstring group.  The second link is a section on hamstring tendinitis and indicates that chronically tight hamstrings can contribute to pain.

Symptoms of hamstring tendinitis

• Pain and tenderness at the ischial tuberosity.
      • Pain when stretching the hamstring.
      • Pain when flexing the knee against resistance.
      • A gradual onset of pain following a sprinting session.

What can the athlete do?

• Reduce inflammation through rest, ice or cold therapy.
      • Once pain and inflammation has gone develop a stretching and strengthening programme.
      • For chronic hamstring tendon injuries there is likely to be muscle tightness and weakness which can be treated through massage, stretching and strengthening.

From your description of the area that hurts, it sounds like it's the semimembranosus.    I am not a doctor, but I did stay at a Howard Johnson's when I was little kid.

I absolutely could not wake up this morning. The alarm went off at 4:30, and even though I woke up a couple of times later, I had to force myself out of bed at 7:15, which means I barely made it to work on time.  I hate that feeling of hardly being able to open your eyes and like you're drowning in sleep.  Things are stressful right now, and between work and home it feels never ending, but the sleep thing is driving me crazy.  It felt like I was drugged.  Needless to say, no workout this a.m., so I will do what I can when I get home.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...PBJ//......Garlic Tablets also help with mosquitoes and NoSeeUms.....might work on deerfiles........the ''smell'' comes off after you shower.

======

...GoodNews..

.....went to SS Office at 3-PM was back in the car at 3:24 PM....problem solved on the NameThing.....

now Pickles has to keep me alive

for 2-weeks

til I get my Replacement Card........No Pressure

oh yeah,

26min canerun at SoccerFields..............HeatIndex was only 96 but it still helped a lot

Life is Good

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Just an easy 2 milewalk with a new friend who does speed walking - is that the correct word?  I'll do 2+ miles running tomorrow, but have to drive to town to do it.  There has been a cougar sighting quite close to my road, and a very large bear on my own woods trail.  No fair!

Holly S. I am a bit confused as to where the pain is.  When you are driving and your knee is bent is the pain in the front or back of your leg?  Is it pushing on the gas peddle that creates pain in your right leg?  I am asking, in part, because I had that at one point went to a doctor and he suggested ice and ibuprofen for a few weeks.  It worked.

Rather sad day for me today and I just want to tell somebody about it.  Alas, it turns out my DW is gone until tomorrow so it is just little ol' me here at home.  The day started out well.  My friend who in response to coming down with early stage diabetes lost weight and started running finally took up my offer to run together.  We head out on Friday.  I was pretty happy to get the invitation to join him.  Later at home I got a call from another friend.  This one has had a remarkable past few years.  He came down with a very virulent form of brain cancer and is likely the only person on the planet to survive over six months with it let alone the several years he has.  For a number of reasons I thought something was seriously wrong.  The call tonight confirmed it.  I suspect the end is near.  I have to get myself down to Houston to see him and soon I think.  We have been friends for over 20 years.  Cry

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

I hope Hudson brings the joy that our dog sometimes bring us.

Dave59, sometimes it's hard to take government seriously when it comes to deadlines. Thank goodness we don't get all the legislation we pay for.

Leslie, brighter days are ahead. It will be tough...better...tough...good...then amazing. If every one does their work of course.

Love the poem, Avenger Doggie, but I'm wondering what your Dad thinks of it.

Tag...Stay off the computer...Bad dog...bad dog...bad...go lie down....Bad dog...

Two Cat, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. 

Did some resume distribution as cross training.  Tag and I took DD#2 down with our camper so she and DS can spend the weekend with their bio dad. Tomorrow we'll haul DD#1's camper down for the weekend. If the kids rent a couple of sites, he'll come down and stay with them a few days. If I think about it too much, my blood pressure will rise. 

DD#3 watched the news last night and got pretty upset. When she went back to the bank she works at, she reviewed video. Sure enough, she waited on a guy who later held up a near by branch. Her managers didn't believe her, but she called the cops anyway. They confirmed it was the guy.

SteveP

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

So sorry to hear that Twocat. Must be hard.

So nice after work ran 5 miles on the Clinton River trail. Ended up the exact same pace as the 10 this morning (8:46)

79° but humdity only 37%..ahhh

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Hey All - Cross trained today. 46 miles on the new touring bike on the Old Erie Canal.  A nice ride.  Some photos here if the link works:

https://picasaweb.google.com/SkipAZWebAlbums/CanalPractice?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLPU95Okm8uWYA&feat=directlink

Cheers!

Skip

PBJ..... re. deerflies.... I've had some luck with a local construction worker tip....... attach a strip of a fresh dryer softener sheet to the back of your hat.  they don't like the smell and won't land.

PBJ - if that doesn't work, climb into the dryer, have Long Suffering toss in FIVE dryer softener sheets - spin on Delicate for three to five minutes.  I guarantee the deerflies won't bother you.

...oh yeah,

I forgot to add

that thanks to the SS Office

my new name

will be

Renauldo Schmidtmazzen.....

they really

shouldn't drink on the job.

ok,

I just made that up.

Maniac 505

Two cat,  so sorry,  condolences.

Tom White,  so funny,   so funny that you get no credit for work done before today Wink

Byl: thanks for the wave dissertation

Twocat: thanks for the dept dissertation

CNY: so glad you get to see Holly,  I know it will be a special day.

Avenger Doggie:  RE the big ladder,  You just can't understand people sometimes   they are not like you and me!

for me,  no run today.  My work week started today  Up at 4:30,  day starts at 6:00 AM,  home at 7:PM (I've been doing this for over 20 years, no big deal)  My legs are feeling just slightly beat up after my runs last week,  I decided to take tonight off and try to kick my taper off tomorrow night. (next marathon in less then two weeks

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dave - strongly recommend you go for a 20-22 mile run tonight before it's too late and you have to start tapering.

Not only is nancy going to beat you by a mile, if not more, but her DS and I  might catch up to you too.

maybe do another 20 miles tomorrow too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Twocat, I hope you can make it to Houston soon! Butterfly hugs to you my dear friend.

PBJ, listen to the wisdom of SkipAZ Joking

Divechief, you  will do great at the light, don' t worry.

Hemerocullus, great to see you here girl!!! Good luck in finding your perfect route.

Woodslady, it seems like you are having fun with your run! How great to be able to meet a friend like that!

Speed work for me tonight. 6 miles total. The goal was 6x400m with 100m rest.

So, 6x400m at 1:49; 1:51;1:52; 1:52; 1:51; 1:51 (this pace is a whole minute faster than my current 5k pace)
                              My butterfly wings are mighty happy with the result. First time ever that I saw a 1:49 for a 400m Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Twocat - I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.  Take care of yourself on the trip to Houston.

SteveP - I know.  Sometimes, however, I sure wish I had a punching bag. Blush

Came home, soaked up a little Vit D for about half an hour, then headed out to the shed for 40 min of stat cycling and 5 min of core.  Am determined to get up in the a.m. for another invigorating bike ride and strength training workout.  I've now eaten and finished up my transcription, so it's time to hit the shower and bed . . . so long as I can find all the critters.  For some reason, they just don't understand that daylight savings doesn't mean they get to stay out 'til 10:00 p.m.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance