Masters Running

Friday Daily (10/2) - what’s the farthest you’ve ever regular walked for fitness? (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Here's an idea: let's have a RA meet up for a long walking trek.  We promise not to talk to you for whatever parts you would specify so you could enjoy the solitude, but we'd have checkpoints every so many kms or miles, ok?    And let's select someplace scenic with a clear path.

This would be awesome!  Especially if there was a bed-and-breakfast at the end of each day for a hot meal, shower and bed.  I have heard of

Canadian tours like this along the Escarpment.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tetsujin, that is a fascinating story. I am in awe. And I have so many questions!

fHow did you choose that particular leg of the pilgrimage?

Since you weren't prepared for this trek to last several days, what did you do about food and water?

What did you wear?

What was the weather like?

How do you feel now?

okay, ziggy too. .

I've been immersed in the Japanese culture since a graduate student exchange year in 1966 when my family didn't even want me to go over it was so post-war. They relented though and I did, immediately falling in love with all the hundreds of kinds of seafood products available to a fish-lover's stomach, to say nothing of going-on nearly 50 years of spousal appreciation too.

Fortunately, knowing the language makes it easy to experience any of the aspects of the culture of interest but walking the 1,400 km around Shikoku Island has never been one of them.  However, with several members of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club having done the circuit one-or-more times in their retirements, I thought that, since I've become such a walker anyway, I might as well give it a try when the free time unexpectedly became available..

With no guarantee again of the time needed for the 7-8 hour train ride over to Shikoku to say nothing of the trekking time needed to do it once there, I opted for the longest section instead of choosing more popular, shorter ones, and subsequently wishing I would have had a chance to the Big One too.

The 90K route between shrine nos. 37 and 38 tracks highways 56, 321, and 27 so 7-11 style convenience stores were abundant enough to provide sustenance at least every three-or-four hours.  However, accommodations were few and far between along the way so I slept in a sleeping bag style sleeping blanket for the two nights needed in a roadside rice field and a mountain road bus stop, respectively. Needless to say, I'm not a fussy sleeper.

weather: first day was mostly sunny and I had to buy a 1,000 yen ($10) tube of sun block.

second day was off-and-on sprinkles that had me buying a 600 yen plastic poncho and 1,200 yen collapsible umbrella at one of the convenience stores.

third day was rainy with several short-lived deluges that needed the umbrella to keep me relatively dry.  Fortunately, was a warm rain and clearing skies in the afternoon got me all dried out and warm by the time I arrived at shrine no. 38 at 3:30 pm.

Now, four days afterwards, my quads are still sore and feet still swollen and red but only a little slightly annoying, abrasion where one of the hanae geta straps started rubbing a little too much.  However, I'll either be wearing Japanese waraji straw sandals or barefoot for Sunday's Portland Marathon with 17 members of the 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club so it doesn't matter.

If circumstances again permit, I'd like to do a more forested part of 120 km or so (and 5-6 days) involving about four shrines going over a mountain peak and maybe another long seaside stretch (~70K).  I guess I'd like to do the whole thing but, unfortunately, no chance for that for now.  However, thanks for the incentive of something to look forward to if it ever works out,

ps leslie - how did your friend do around Mt. Fuji?  The Joyfuls have one up-and-down Mt. Fuji every August that one member who got lost now has bragging rights to the group's slowest marathon:in their 30-year history:  21 hours.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for providing more info, Tet.  Sounds like a really amazing adventure.

Amy didn't do well.  She ended up getting sick, but finished.  However, there was some issue with too much crew - another runner on the team DNF'd, which left too much crew or something weird like that that Amy wasn't aware of, so they were going to penalize her by 1 to 3 hrs or she's been disqualified and now it sounds like they're telling her she's banned from UTMF events.  A mess.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tet, I have been lurking here for a few days, since I have been following B Hearn's fantastic ultra in Greece last week.  I thought I might find a race report from him here.  Anyway, I loved your long walk story.  Bravo, but next time do a safer one!   Best of luck in Portland tomorrow.  Wish I could be there to cheer you on at the finish.

A wonderful travelogue, Tetsujin!  Omedetou!

moebo

Thanks for that, Tet.

Somebody should make your life into a movie. I bet it would be poetic and gorgeous, and exciting to boot.

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks for that, Tet.

Somebody should make your life into a movie. I bet it would be poetic and gorgeous, and exciting to boot.

I would go watch that movie.

I would go watch that movie.

Absolutely ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

oh leslie  Japan should be such a memorable experience in so many great ways.  I can't imagine that kind of foul-up.  Even if she's back over here, be sure to appeal for reconsideration. That is not an appropriate penalty at all for something someone else did .  I bet the english language translation of race rules, or even the original Japanese must have been vaguely and ambiguously written.   Send me some copies and I'll help.

Thanks for that, Tet.

don'tchya just love newbies" posts.

reality will strike in tomorrow's portland marathon.

ps - econo and econo's mon: see you there next year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)