Masters Running

Mon Sept 15th Daily (Read 366 times)

Bread & Butter run this morning...8 miles at an 8:01 pace... Looks like another great day in the PNW...IRC this morning...clear and 44 degrees Sorry about your Garmin Roy...Have you tried to reset it?
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
    Mariposai

This weekend I am going to put on my cheerleader outfit and cheer for Erika as she runs the Equinox marathon. You will do great Erika, just wait and see... your dream time for this particular marathon is going to be a reality Wink As predicted not much time for hanging out around here, not even on the weekends Cry, but please know that I am thinking of you all. Tetsujin and divechief look so kuuulllllll in their picture. twocats, I can't wait to read your relay report. Did your DW enjoy the weekend? Did you convince her that she is ready now to run a HM Cool 3 miles at predawn. The moon was so gorgeous again this morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

This weekend I am going to put on my cheerleader outfit
        Mariposai, you are such a tease. Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

King of PhotoShop

That's encouraging Roch. Good news. Nice race Busiman, buried at the end of yesterday's daily. I did the same workout today as yesterday, 3.2 total miles with four 1/4 mile jogs interspersed. Today I started my watch only for the jogging portions and total time was 9:17. That's my normal "slow" pace and just where I want to keep it. I am going to do this workout the rest of the week but I can already tell I am going to get bored with it and thinking about the next steps. What a beautiful day in North Texas! Mid-60's and not a cloud in the sky. Spareribs

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I had an appointment this morning for my annual physical. Fortunately the Dr's office is a few minutes away from my house so after my run I quickly jumped in the shower and was there in a few minutes Smile I'll get the test results later this week but everything seemed normal so far.. 10.17 miles of hills @ 9:21 pace on a humid morning. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

well, i don't usually run 2 days in a row but since last night was an easy 4 i did get out again today -- not so easy tho - the heat, humidity and winds were more than i expected ......took a couple walk breaks but put in 5 miles followed by .1 walk to cooldown - total = 5.1 miles in 52:30 - now to ice my back and knee - feeling a little twingy happy monday!!

denise

evanflein

Mariposai and Karin, thanks ladies! I'm sure hoping I can pull it off. After the downhill run yesterday (usually my specialty) I was disappointed with how sore my foot was last night and quads are a little sore this morning. Quads are probably because I've been avoiding downhill the last few weeks due to foot. So... it's all related, but nothing I can't deal with. I've run all the sections of the course now, and my calculations allow this: 1:15 for the first 8 miles (training run time was 1:12), Miles 8 to 12.5 allow :50 (training run best time was :46), Out and Back section (miles 12.5 to 17.1) allow :50 (training run best time was :44), miles 17.1 to finish allow 1:15 (yesterday's time was 1:13). So, all my "allowances" give me a finish of 4:10, and I have a 5 minute cushion to allow for additional walk breaks, water stops, cramps and whatever else I might need or run into. Note I'm giving no allowance for foot issues. Hope it works. Thats the first time I've actually written down my plan. I've had it in my head for quite awhile... sort of scary to see it in print! Going to Spirit of the Marathon tonight with DH. Might try to get out to the pool for some water running after work, I think my legs and feet would enjoy that.
                TammyinGP

question about the running log? I ran a 3/4 mile warm-up prior to my race on Saturday. But the log doesn't seem to like me putting in either .75 or .80 as an easy run. Does it not take increments less than one mile?

Tammy

The Jogger

Yes Karin that was a cracking run Smile Thanks Lou, the 305 seems to be back in business. Smile Roy
                      question about the running log? I ran a 3/4 mile warm-up prior to my race on Saturday. But the log doesn't seem to like me putting in either .75 or .80 as an easy run. Does it not take increments less than one mile?
                      Tammy try putting it in as 0.75 I think that will work. Smile
                      Dave59

5.9 miles this morning with 5x6 minutes at a harder pace. Any one else a computer programmer, who worked for a couple months on a project that had a hard deadline, thought they made the deadline by 2 weeks, only to have a person new to the project come in and say everything works great but isn't what the customer really wanted? Not much fun. That's what happens when a large corporation buys your employer and instead of meeting with customers, I now meet with people, who meet with people, who meet with the customer. As each day goes by I am thinking a career change might be in order. Maybe go back into business on my own. Paid vacations and holidays are nice, but not worth the other hassles.

Enjoy the Spirit of the Marathon movie Erika. I pre-ordered a few copies as presents for the Js (shhhhh nobody tell them now!). It will be released on DVD on October 7. I think your race plan sounds really smart and gives you some good flexibility. I am hoping you are just experiencing random taper pain. At least that's what I call all the aches and pains that seem pronounced in the last week before I run a target race. I've told very few people this, but just before Boston this year, I put my foot down on the floor on race morning and practically screamed. My ankle hurt, my old lurking plantar fasciitis reared it's head...I was a mess. I had been hurting all week actually. It's a training anesthesia where you are working so hard that your body is almost numb and then as you rest and relax, the aches and injury gremlins come back. Maybe it was my brain trying to tempt me not to put my body through such a test. Does anyone else get that? It all receded by the time the gun went off in Hopkinton, but I worried that I was toast for awhile there. You have put in all the hard work (you too Maraposai). Be good to yourself and go for it. That's for ALL of us running any race of any distance! Trust your training. Karin
                            30 min on the bike 11 min on the stairmill (had to quit as foot was perhaps being aggrevated) no swim I am hopeful that in two more days I can do a test run. Erika, I hope your foot holds together for the Equinox. I am certain you are prepared in every other possible way, and I can't wait to hear about your race!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a quick read through yesterday's and today's daily while at the office. Hurricane Ike came through here yesterday with 60-80 mph winds, but no rain. Over 300,000 homes (including mine) without power since 2pm yesterday. (and steaks were on sale last week, so I stocked the freezer - drat!) Schools are canceled, so I have dragged my kids down to the office (where there is power), just to call people and reschedule. Also we’re charging up all our chargeables: Garmin, cellphone, Gameboys, MP3 player. My boss is home in a highrise apartment, 10th or 11th floor, with no elevators, and at almost 71 years old, she really doesn't want to climb down and up those stairs, so I called her and told her I’d take care of things. Dayton Power and Light says this is the worst outage Dayton has ever seen, and we could be without power for days. BUT, we are very fortunate that there is no damage to our house that we see, although we lost a tree in the backyard and our neighborhood is full of debris. Plus the temperatures are nice and cool, so no overheating problems with no AC. We played board games all last evening with the kids by candlelight – very kewl... Approximately 4 Garminless miles this morning at a gentle pace. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Thanks Mainerunnah - that worked! My planned 3-4 miles this evening might be foiled. Very hot (supposed to be 100 today) and smokey here today. Smoke still might be too thick in the air this evening. Drat - I needed a run today to combat the cookie overload from yesterday. Black eye

Tammy