Masters Running

2016 Portland, OR Marathon RA family meet up (Read 67 times)

TammyinGP

it looks like that 2nd one though has a minimum of 30 nights if I'm reading that correctly.

and the other one has a minimum stay of 3 nights. are some people staying 3 nights - or enough people staying all 3 nights to make that price affordable?

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I have not purchased plane tickets yet, but hoped to fly in on Friday and fly out on Monday, staying for 3 nights.  I guess I should ask, how many nights are people planning to stay?

Mike - 3 nights

Holly - 3 nights

Tammy - Sat night

Leslie - Sat night

Starr - 3 nights

Enke/MBE - Sat night

Nancy/EP

Econo

Tet

Also, I was trying to find something possibly within 1.5 miles of the start-finish, walkable anyway, but it looks as if that may not be possible.  Therefore, we out of towners will need help getting to the start line and getting picked up after.  I have never been to Portland, and was hoping the locals would offer help/suggestions.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I haven't made up my mind for sure because it'll be partially dependent on Leslie's plans, but originally I was only thinking of coming up for Saturday night. 

I am not familiar enough with Portland to make recommendations on places to stay, how to get around easily, etc.  I don't think there are any "locals" per se in this group. Renee has probably spent more time in Portland than I have, but not sure how familiar she is with the specific area where marathon is. LabDuck knows it all like the back of hand, but he's not here any longer.

Tammy

It most likely would only be for one night for MBE and me.

Saturday night of course.

He knows Portland a little bit and could be amenable to driving us folks around.

He could also probably stay at his sister's condo there, if the house is too crowded.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

I haven't made definate plans, either, so if most of those who are flying in, are coming in on Friday and leaving on Monday, I can do that, too.

I haven't made definate plans, either, so if most of those who are flying in, are coming in on Friday and leaving on Monday, I can do that, too.

Ditto here, 'crept I don't think I wanna be on MikeE's plane, just saying.....

Count me in for three nights or whatever works out for everyone. I am planning to stay with my friend after the race so may not be there Sunday night but will commit to it so I have a place to shower after the race.

P.s. I snore, but have a C-pap to take care of that. I can sleep anywhere too.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Ditto here, 'crept I don't think I wanna be on MikeE's plane, just saying.....

Starr - My DH has a C-Pap, so I know what a big difference it makes in quieting snores.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks holly.
                  After enjoying Portland 2006 but missing Seattle 2009,

I hope it works out but you might not be able to count

on me for anything but sharing the cost.

However,. depending on mariposai’s story-telling hours (and whether I’m even in town), I’ll try to be down for Saturday for sure and Friday, if possible.  Since all I need is a tile floor, concrete basement, outside patio, tree branch or something good and hard for a good night’s sleep, I’ll try to be making up for saving you the concern, and space, for sleeping needs with any left-over cooking that might be available, . . . and mariposai’s story hour.  Do not arrange a bed for me; i will not use it, . . . and, no, there is no truth to the rumor that people get more stubborn as they age.  
                  ps mikeE - don’t worry. 
                  my aviation industry classmates told me that, though pilots on some countries’ airlines use a mapquest-like application and just need to enter take-off times, distance to destination, and desired landing times and the plane does everything, most U.S. carriers require pilots to turn it off and fly for real at least once an hour.  whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

I think I might drive...

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - 3 nights

Holly - 3 nights

Tammy - Sat night maybe but will bring air mattress

Leslie - Sat night, but can sleep on the floor so long has she has something soft under

Starr - 3 nights

Enke/MBE - Sat night, but could stay at sister's if house too crowded

Nancy/EP - 3 nights

Econo

Tet - tile floor, concrete basement, outside patio, tree branch or something good and hard

Holly, how is the search going for a place to stay?

I recently booked two nights on AirBnB for a weekend in Portland in July.  How is availability looking for marathon weekend?  Do you need some help finding a place?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Enke - any help would be appreciated.  I have been so busy lately I haven't had much time to devote to the search.  At least I think we have a better idea of the count now.

FWIW - I plan to be in Portland Fri, Sat, and Sun.  It's too far away for me to make it a one-night stand.  However, don't let me be part of your house planning, if it helps at all.  I can always stay with Karen, since you all have said she can be part of the festivities.  I have no idea where her place is in relation to the marathon, but she's good at using public transportation.

Just let me know what helps you the most and I'll make the appropriate plans.

But yes, I can sleep on the floor.  I need to purchase a thick piece of foam for use in my car, and I can use that and my little mattress I bought for me car, as well.  Unlike Tet, anything hard won't do for me for sleeping.  I wouldn't be able to move the next day!  

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

After talking to MBE last night, most likely we will stay at his sister's house in Portland.  So I think I am an out on the house sharing.  Which might actually make it easier for you to find something for less people.

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, folks.  I am not finding walking distance accommodations that are workable.  However, what about this one - 4 bedrooms, 7 beds, on the busline, 8 minutes to downtown.  They don't give you an exact address, but it looks about 2.4 miles (20 minutes by bus).  However, surely we can pile into a car or two and have drop off at the start or close by. Pretty reasonable at about $418 total per night, and that will be split between at least 6 people maybe more.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3251242?checkin=10%2F07%2F2016&checkout=10%2F10%2F2016&guests=7&s=0WZgR-tX