Masters Running

Thus 2/26 Daily (Read 502 times)

dg.

good morning! Mary, a 10:38 pace on ice! How do you do that? I'm not that fast a crawler. Peter... that's so much better. Thanks. Wink. Thanks Sue. I did it both ways... deep water w/the aqua jogger, & w/out it when I could touch the bottom. That wasn't as bad, but just didn't seem to be accomplishing anything. Either I missed this or I've forgotten... what's going on with your hip? Holly, I'm so glad. You worked hard for this. I did about 45 minutes of assorted core & rehab things this morning.
      dg. you are always so sweet asking about everybody on the DL. I hope your pool run went well yesterday. Just read your second post from yesterday . . . sorry to hear the answer. But the good news looks like you might be ok to run! So all in all I would say things went really well for you yesterday. Holly S. I hope they were mumbling! nonoruns I have been to reply: Looking forward to that drink with you! wildchild 65° in Denver! I would be like so jealous of your being able to run in such nice weather except . . . well . . . I am actually just jealous of all the running in general . . . sigh. CNYrunner I have been meaning to express my disappointment not to get a rematch against you at the Iron Horse HM! Coward! Wink At this rate though I am not sure I will be there this year either so it will have to be elsewhere that we see each other again. halllar I think you are right about the wine issue. I am also a bit suspicious about the study results. Red wine seems to help reduce the chance of a circulatory system issue killing you. We all die from something so a reduction in one fatal disease necessarily means an increase in another. I am wondering if the wine so reduces circulatory deaths in women that the result is a seeming increase in cancer rates. The real test is not the disease rates but longevity between one group or another. At some point I should read over the paper since my DW was asking me about it. evanflein ahh, I can always count on your reports to make me feel good about the weather around here! 11 miles in the snow I just have no idea how you do it day in and day out. biketm your daily posts are wonderful! Not only are you running again and seemingly totally healthy but even better things at work appear to be busy. (Yes, works gets precedence in the good, better, best hierarchy over running.) Around here I found out the local GMC dealer nearly closed shop last month. I am not sure what saved it. But I am glad it is around as I have one of their cars and the next closest dealer is who knows where but not close. Peter NC yep, running in 40 degree weather trumps 20 degree weather by a mile! Nice double digit run. Holly S. see note above! Craneium we had one a few weeks ago. The news was that the portfolio had lost so much it was back to where it was two years ago. This was followed by the standard, "this is a crises and we need to cut way back and even then things may be bad" story. So I asked if things are back to where they were in 2007 how come there was no crises in 2007?" The answer: well we made a lot of money so we ramped up our costs and now we have to ramp them back down. What costs? Total administrative fat it turns out. Roll eyes So the "cuts" are actually probably for the good. I went to the gym today. [saga] Yesterday was an EMG with the neurologist. That came back fine. Hurt like %#$$%, but the test results were fine. Big grin That was the good news. The bad is that the neurologist literally mentioned the TV show House to quantify the puzzle of my leg. He first thought it was a problem with the hamstring muscle. So he had me do some things and said, "Well if you had a hamstring injury you sure could not do that." Great. Next, a lot of poking while he pulled my leg one way while I pulled it the other from a whole host of positions and angles. In the end he did find a sensitive spot! That is actually good news. It may mean he localized the problem. It is a spot about the size of a thumb about a third of the way up my thigh. His theory: I did something to the muscle in the area. I then took three weeks off. Since it was no longer getting used, it scarred or calcified. That is why it is not healing like it should and why it has some of the symptoms of a neurological problem and some of a mechanical one. Great! I may have taken time off to heal up and instead did myself in. Next he will consult with the orthopedist and get back to me. My guess is they will say to stay off my feet for another 4 weeks. If I am not substantially better by then, they will do an MRI of the area. If it shows anything they will then go in and possibly operate. Dead [/saga]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Tim, you work so hard, I hope your boss appreciates you! Peter, I love that screen cleaner, I've seen it before but it still gives me a chuckle. Holly, awesome intervals today! Those "good run" days are what makes this all worthwhile! Weird weather here again today. This morning at home, it was 24° and snowing hard, with about 3" on the ground already. But the snow line was maybe 8000 ft, so halfway down the canyon the roads were dry - it wasn't even raining. And when I got to work at 8 am, it was already 45°, heading for 55° today. Sometimes it seems like I live and work in two different seasons.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

It is funny how the more you run the repeats the faster otmeaier they get.
          Perch and Holly - I love it when my repeats get faster otmeaier Tongue Tramps - there can never be too many metrics TwoCat - having gone though orthopedic problems, I can sympathize. But mine were never so confounding as what you're going through -- hopefully they figure it out soon.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Perch and Holly - I love it when my repeats get faster otmeaier Tongue.
            OK..I'm dyslectic! or just a crappy typist? Let me think.. oh... get faster or easier .. (the t is next to the r, the m is near the space bar and I missed the s... then you get otmeaier ..what, you couldn't figure that out? Roll eyes

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

OK..I'm dyslectic! or just a crappy typist? Let me think.. oh... get faster or easier .. (the t is next to the r, the m is near the space bar and I missed the s... then you get otmeaier ..what, you couldn't figure that out? Roll eyes
              I thought it had something to do with oatmeal. Hey Steve, how come your elevation data is showing and Lou and I have "no data"? Did you do something special?
              Tramps - there can never be too many metrics
              I'm just not sure I want the whole world to know exactly where I stopped for a pee. Roll eyes (Now I figured out what that "publish" button does.)

Be safe. Be kind.

"older but not dead yet"

Good morning Just popped in and noticed that we now have Garmin import - great! Did 7 miles on a bridle path in the woods Alex
                Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
                  Tim - Jlynne inquired about your weekend plans, not me ;-). What are you doing this weekend?? dg - I just have minor hip twinge incurred during yoga pigeon pose. It's aggravated by quick starts and stops and lateral movements during agility training, but it doesn't seem to affect my running thank goodness. Twocat - glad to hear it isn't a nerve issue. Too bad they can't just do an MRI right now and not make you wait 4 more weeks. Hope it doesn't come down to a surgical fix - unless they are reasonably sure to have you back on your feet and running within a few weeks. Hang in there! We started a new Yoga session today - I fell asleep during the corpse pose. I hope my snoring wasn't audible.......

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Hey Steve, how come your elevation data is showing and Lou and I have "no data"? Did you do something special?
                    Hmm. My elevation data is showing from yesterday's run. A bug?
                    I'm just not sure I want the whole world to know exactly where I stopped for a pee. Roll eyes
                    Does your HR always go to 0 when you pee?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

I could get my run data to import, but I can't get the graphs to show up. At home on my mac I could get the map to show, and below that was an elevation chart. But this morning, here at work, I can't see either. I have issues, apparently. Tramps, your heart stops when you pee? Twocat, you've sure been through hell with that stoopid leg of yours. I sure hope you get it resolved and get back on the road soon. CNYrunner is recovering quickly and you've got a match race to settle, right? And as for going out in the snow day in and day out... well, that's where the treadmill comes in. You may say blech, but it's going to save my butt tonight. I've had it with the snowy runs for a while (ok, a couple days) and tonight will just run on the 'mill. We're getting a couple more inches of snow before the weekend. To that I say "blech." Holly, nice miles there, girl. I think you pay your dues with carpy runs, there's bound to be a payoff and you got it. Peter, I've got that little guy working away in the background. I check on him every now and then to see how he's doing. Nothing like the slippery haze of dog slime to make work more fun! Oh, and I had the button checked for "show my log to members of my groups" like it's always been. But all of a sudden that's not working. So I had to check "let everyone see my log," which I'm not real excited about, but there, TimBo, it's back.
                      TammyinGP

LOL Lou - that's what I was thinking? wow, Shocked low heart rate for peeing! I had a good workout last night. Did 4.2 on the TM, then elliptical for 30 min. I was definitely sweating more during my elliptical workout. Heading to the gym at lunchtime for another 3 or so miles. Then resting tomorrow and a long run hopefully on Saturday if weather cooperates.

Tammy

Tramps

Tramps, your heart stops when you pee?
                          No; no, it doesn't. It might drop to 75 though. Also, my HR does not start off at 175. That's almost my maxHR! You can "publish" stuff from other people's logs too. Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that. Here's Perch's hills: The 4th and 5th miles are insane! Shocked

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim - Jlynne inquired about your weekend plans, not me ;-). What are you doing this weekend??
                            Ummm, guess it's was an "early morning" mistake...hey, maybe the three of us can hook up. Actually, this weekend I have nothing planned other than running and laundry....I'm an exciting guy Roll eyes LOL, I thought Steve was making a reference to oatmeal too...see Sue, us guys always do silly things Smile I just finished writing an estimate for this "older' gentleman. When he walked in my office I asked "how are you today" He responded back with....."It's always a good day when I pee, after I get out of bed" Geez, I cracked up big time with how he said that Big grin TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I think I'll wait till you guys figure out all the Garmin download problems before I try it. They cancelled school!! For a lousy couple inches of snow that has mostly already melted off the roads. The school year is going to stretch into July at this rate. Holly...wow, lovely times there. 8 of those, that's 8 miles fast!! I am very impressed. I thought he meant "and meatier" or "meaner". With two rest days this week, I hope tomorrow I can get out there and do a mean meaty run. Twocat, I think that is a promising diagnosis. Better than not finding the spot.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly, great run today! You definitely deserved a great run after slogging through a few of those carpy ones. When is your marathon again? Also glad to hear that your family is mumbling - tell them to speak up! Hmm, I had though Perch was saying something about those miles being oatmealier - whatever that might mean. I think those MP miles get easier for a bit as you warm up. I do find it hard, though, to keep MP pace as I get past 10 miles or so at that pace. dg, sorry to hear that the pool running did not go so well. I always found it easier to use the flotation belt than to run on the pool bottom. I think there was an instructional video that came with my belt that explained how to do it and I never had too much trouble. I had to do intervals, though, to get my HR up at all. Twocat, well I suppose that is good news for you - at least the doctor seems to have pinpointed a trouble spot. It seems like they ought to just go ahead with the MRI now rather than making you wait another four weeks, but what do I know. I hope it doesn't come down to surgery, but I guess anything to solve the problem and get you back out on the road. Like Holly, I had a good run today. I set out to do a sort of GA effort medium long run, but it turned into a progression run - 13 miles starting at 8:03 pace and working down to a 6:50 last mile. Total time 1:38:10.

Once a runner . . .