Masters Running

Tuesday 11/21/23 Short Work Week Runs and Adventures (Read 41 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Welcome to the group, Centex!

I did White Rock in 1995.  It was my 3rd marathon and my first Boston Qualifier... it was also the coldest.

The x-rays showed no broken ribs but the doctor said he wouldn't doubt there's a small crack in there, someplace.  He told me I could go back to doing what I am able to do and let the day after be the judge as to whether I should back off, again.  So, I went and lifted with Zac for about 50 minutes.  It didn't feel too bad... but it it didn't feel great, either.

When they were checking me in, though, they found that my blood pressure was high.  So, he told me to buy a blood pressure monitor and check it a couple times a day and report back.  I think it was 180/90 at the clinic and, when I got home and tested it, it was 148/88.  This morning it was 125/69 and later in the day it was 143/75.  I have never had any issues with blood pressure before and I really do not want to go any medications for it.  It's one thing after another.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Mike you were under stress.

A couple times a week:

Take a basal BP first thing in the morning before coffee and after going potty.

And maybe randomly upon occasion during the day.

Watch your sodium intake.

I think if you aren't wondering if your BP is going to be high it might be lower.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Well, for those of us who are cooking, yes...good thing I am up at 4am every morning these days.  Today it was actually 3:17am.  BUT, I did go back to bed at 4:45 until 5:30am, so that sort of counts as an afternoon nap....What are YOU doing on Thursday, SB?

I am facing down the Balrog of pointless and banal small talk and intrusive questioning about what/where/when/how and why I have been doing. Add in the host asking if if I'd like (a food item) and I say "no thank you" resulting in 45 minutes of offers of every other edible item in the house and several questions about who/what/where/why/when I would also not like to eat that particular item at that particular moment. And Most other attendees upon the first questioning stopping everything they're doing and joining in on the inquisition. It is a test of endurance far exceeding anything physical I have ever done.

Gandalf vs Balrog on the Moria Bridge - The Lord of the Rings

Would you like some garlic minced pie? No? How about some cranberry lard soufflé? No? Why not? Yes, tell us! We are all suddenly interested!

The Inquisition – General History

I should take the advice when facing the Balrog of gatherings:

Meme: "Fly you fools!" - All Templates - Meme-arsenal.com

Me for the next 3-4 days:

I'M HAVING AN INTROVERT HANGOVER, I'M TOTALLY EXHAUSTED FROM TOO MUCH  SOCIAL INTERACTION.: A Funny Novelty Introvert - Small Gift Notebook (6" x  9") : Favi, Fiw: Amazon.de: Bücher

But, there will be two elderly Pugs, so there is some respite.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Living up to your name, Bill

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Tet, I hope you heal up fast. Sidewalks are tricky, they will jump up and trip you when you least expect it. That's because when you do expect it, you're careful.

You, too, Mike. Cracked ribs aren't the fun everyone says they are. I have one of those wrist blood pressure thingies. My BP is higher than average and can get into the "alarming" or "why are you still alive" range sometimes. I checked it last night when laying down in bed and it was 184/98 the first time, then I did a minute later it with my arm held up instead of laying it on my chest and it was 135/63. I'm not convinced the home testing in uncontrolled situations is all that indicative of actual BP. Probably an average of results taken several times a day sitting in the same position. I'm also trying to avoid being put on any medications for as many years as possible. And getting glasses, too.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

An anesthesiologist once told me that wrist BP monitors were accurate when used properly. Your wrist needs to be above your heart.

Consumer Reports on wrist BP monitors

We use a wrist BP monitor. It's good to take a few weeks of measurements to see what the trend is.

Surly, I sooo related to your post, re the food inquisition. Reminded me of my days attending dinners at ex-MIL/FIL's house. Refusing offers of food was somehow an antecedent to other offers of food to be put in front of me. "Do you want a banana?". No thanks, I am not hungry. "Well how about some pie then?". No thanks, I am not hungry. On and on and on. Finally I would relent and eat a cookie to stop the madness.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

Thank you for the start, Holly.

Good morning!

Why is it that short work weeks seem so long?

People try to get 5 days' worth of revenue in three days.

Dave59 - I don't know that I'd care for an outing while I had fuzzy vision.

Tetsujin209 - I'm sorry for the extended consequences from your fall.  It brings back memories of falling out of trees.

Rochrunner - Thank You for the recipe.

Friendsgiving sounds wonderful!

I'm on my own for Thanksgiving, maybe I'll do some kind of seafood for dinner. Hmmm . . .

I wish that would have registered with my addled brain a little more quickly.  You're welcome to join us in Michigan.  With all the grandkids, it would be loud.

Mahjong winnings!!!

I'm filling in at my former position for a few days.  I encouraged the guy who replaced me to review his accrued "Use it or lose" time.

SteveP

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hey Steve,

Wouldn't it be cool if. If "use it or lose it" wasn't about time off but was about weight off?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike - yep, sounds normal.

Steve - I hope the tree was okay.

ps - is your 19 (20 if Lealie comes)

Our favorite TG meal was going down to the dock on Wednesday when in Cape Cod over Thanksgiving 1971 and getting about a dozen different kinds of finfish and shellfish right off the various fishing comes landing for the day that we had never eaten before.  I guess I tried to forget it when it was posted in a past year but, looking up turducken, sure enough it was in a canned dog food. No thanks.  Turkey Spam sounds better.

Taking advantage of another nice afternoon, I did a hillside circuit of two miles in all the trails over on the island for a PCP pre-op still carpeted with leaves packed down in layers of falling down on on each other over the last week-and-a-half and viola !, the leaf blower blowers hadn't blown them off yet. Yippee.

Am I the only one who thinks Matt Hasselbeck every time those potatoes are mentioned?

ps Tramps / KSA - I couldn't figure out the connection to a Seattle Seahawks legend, either, and looked him up ASAP as soon as it was posted about potatoes last week.

Tet, I hope you heal up fast. Sidewalks are tricky, they will jump up and trip you when you least expect it. That's because when you do expect it, you're careful.

Surly - excellent. Thanks. Very disconcerting that my second best fall was on a stupid sidewalk but that's exactly a logical reason for it that I hadn't thought about. Fortunately, nothing'll ever beat the best one so far by far, . . . I hope, though, of joyously running down the main street in Seward, Alaska to TdF-like cheering into the finish line of a rainy Mount Marathon in the Fourth-of-July three miler we used to do every year and, all-of-a-sudden, upon seeing medics frantic medics running towards me, turning around to see who they were concerned about but, yep, it turned out to be all the blood I hadn't noticed in the heat of the event from trying to beat other skiing friends by reckless and carefree glissading down the snow fields remaining that year up in the alpines without realizing all the scree being embedded in my bottom reaches that ended me up in the local hospital with a dozen or other sliders.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)