Masters Running

Wet Mondaily, 10.30.23 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, RCG, and the Saturday review. Good 5.42 running-esque forward motion with Van Morrison. Interesting interactions with the 24-hour runners and the bats and the Halloween inflatables. I heard (on NPR a couple of days ago) that bats can bite you without you knowing it, and without leaving a mark. So if anyone ever has a bat in their bedroom at night, it's a good idea to go get checked for rabies.

Good 4.3 miles, KSA, before your busy day.

Great job on the 32 mile Peloton group endurance ride, Deeze.

Good 3.2 mile walk in some chill, Jlynne, and with the follow-up stretching. I read that story about the pumpkin carver - who knew?

Good 41+ mile ride with a great sunrise, a bit 'o rain, and some cool MCM road chalk messages.

Congrats, Leslie, to your friend Teonna on her Butt Award.

Nice dog-walking, accidental meet-up, dnaff.

Good 9.6 miles because you could, moebo.

Good 18.6 mile ride on the trainer, Doug, with 1,000 ft. of simulated climbing. I hope you do get back outside for one more spin on the bike.

Good 5-miler in too warm but almost freezing temps, plus an abbreviated 3-mile loop, Tet.

Good 3,000 yard moderate pool workout with new swim paddles, BTY. Nice score on the cashmere coat.

Hi, Quickadder.

Good chatty 10 trail miles with lots of folks you know, Tammy.

Good, steady 5 miles in IRC as part of your Tokyo ramp-up, Mariposai.

Scary decorating with GS Noah, Steve.

DW and I laid very low last night because she was/is still under the weather. We were both in bed by about 8:30, and both had fitful night's sleep. I was up at 4:15 this morning, and took advantage of a slight break in wet weather to get in 3.54 EZ RW miles in 46° with a mist at the start that evolved into a good drizzle by the time I finished. Then 40 minutes of stretching, core work, and some new knee exercises. DW is back in bed after being up for about an hour, and we hope some more sleep and some more food later on will get her back to normal.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Our Saturday plans got nixed when DH woke up with a stomach bug. Darn it.

Anyway, I got in 3 miles on the TM this morning.  Cold front is heading our way.  It'll be in the 20's tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne

Good morning Jay. Thanks for the start and recap, and I'm sure sorry your DW is not feeling well. Have you figured out what she ate that caused such a horrible reaction?

Holly - bummer about the canceled plans for Saturday. I was really curious to see how you liked it. Hope your DH feels better today.

You're the best, Grandpa Steve!

5.35 run/walk miles this morning. 29 degrees and wind out of the NW made it feel pretty chilly. A beautiful, clear dark sky with the moon and stars for a nice start to the day. I finished with 20 minutes of core and stretching.

Can I just rant about something for a bit? We haven't even had Halloween yet, and there's been a TON of commercials for stores and products advertising for Christmas on television already! Come on people! It's not even November yet! 

Off to Candyland, where yes - we are packaging Christmas candy 

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Jay, we have David today so just a quick correction

Cat Stevens = Moon Shadow

Van Morrison = Moon Dance

Both songs are marvelous 

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Or Jay, perhaps you were correcting me! Perhaps I was having a marvelous moon dance among the moon shadows moon shadows!

Thanks, Jay.   Steve- can't believe Noah is that old!

4 treadmill miles.  It was raining outside.  I barely could make myself do the miles, but I did.  Meeting a friend (happens to also be our tax and estate lawyer) for lunch, so need to get going.  Have a greta Monday, y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mornin'.........

been offline,

Pickles was back in the ER from a diverticulosis flare-up

BUT

this article just came out, and it' really informative on weight loss

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/10/30/1208883691/diet-ozempic-wegovy-weight-loss-fiber-glp-1-diabetes-barley

also

Pickles feels better today

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

{{{Hugs}}} to folks and their other halves who are not feeling well.  Dang it!

And I agree, Jeanne.  It's not even Halloween yet!!

Tammy - Daybreak announced their race on FB.  Holy crap, it looks hard! 17,700 ft of elevation gain/loss, starts at a little over 5,000 ft, drops to a little less than 3000 ft at the lowest point, and goes up to around 6500 ft. at the highest point.  Compared to Mt. Lakes, which has 11,700 ft of elevation gain/loss. . . . Dang . . .

40 min of core/ST and PT (aka stretching) this a.m.  Had to turn my little heater on my shed this a.m.  *sigh*

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...and I'm back...

40s and Rain

so

.......30-min StairClimber.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - Jay puts more into a day than most of us do in a week but you must have 25 hour days to do what you do.

this article just came out, and it' really informative on weight loss

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/10/30/1208883691/diet-ozempic-wegovy-weight-loss-fiber-glp-1-diabetes-barley

Tom - sounds like my "Eat-your-fiber" grandmother back in the 70's and 80's after she'd switched to healthy foods that got her to her 90's.

However, interesting that the good, "fermentable" fibers that are in Ozempic and Wegovy pills, sit around in your intestinal tract until hours after eating when, just as the stomach is empty and you're getting hungry again, they get down to the large intestine and start releasing doses of GLP-1 and PYY hormones that suppress your hunger signals so you don't need snacks anymore.  They say the fermentable fibers include barley, oats rye, beans, peas, lentils, apples, pears and green bananas.  I don't drink bear so have probably never consumed barley and I don't want to eat green bananas but maybe because of eating lots of green beans, etc. for dinner, I don't have the midnight snack urge and, now that it's getting to be oatmeal mush season for the mornings, we'll see how it works for the midday snacks I can't refuse anymore. Not sure I want to eat rye bread toast, though.

Maybe after 79 winters, it's like muscle memory that let us start each new season of winter skiing as intense as when we stopped in the springtime but, though this morning's 34F was down a few degrees from yesterday's 37F,that felt cold and needed gloves, it didn't seem so cold an no gloves necessary for a careful, two mile, circuit around the cityside park that, at 6:00 am was rife with marijuana smoke over to the other side of the street and several dozens of the down-and-outers milling around in hoodies, shawls and blankets in the two encampments at either end of the four block long city park just the same as on a summer day.  Too bad.

ps leslie - after fading badly, very neat, if not very spectacular, that your friend finished in the 29 hour range just as predicted at the time she got started underway again. Maybe the bare butt helped,bbbbb after all.   Fortunately, most of us are too old to try it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the usual strong start, Jay. We always have a power lineup here with you leading off and Steve batting cleanup to bookend the day.

Whenever we travel to a place and spend a few days there, especially if we have a particularly memorable time, we always remain feeling "connected" to it and readily pick up on articles from there that we would ordinarily not notice. For example, I still get a weekly digital newspaper from the Presidio-Marfa area of West Texas where we hope to return someday. The same goes for Alaska and now Montana etc. And Tet, this one might be of interest to you: it's regarding the salmon fishery in the vicinity of the Kenai Peninsula, which was one of the highlights of last year's big trip (along with meeting Erika, of course!). I hope you can read it.

Alaska Fishermen Struggle as Rules to Save King Salmon Limit Their Catch - WSJ

Nothing much to report from here. I was just out at DS's house to help him out with a couple of minor issues but didn't want to get in the way too much of his unpacking and completing his move-in. We're expecting a sub-freezing low tonight and no real warmup on the horizon. Looks like an early start to winter!

And that's all I've got for today...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks for all the Medicare info friends - guess we still have awhile before we need to take any action but gathering info now

tomwhite - interesting article

Jay - sorry about your dw's stomach issues and Holly's dh and Pickles diverticulitis -- so rough

today's chilly rainy weather is making me just want to stay in and do nothing, but I am heading out later to see a movie with friends from church

So far - I have done some reading, a couple of strength classes and doing some cooking --- but really would rather just be under a blanket reading!!

denise

anneb

Hi Masters.

All of the Medicare discussion would have my head spinning... although since I'm only 48 I did nothing but skim over it! But it will surely be a lot to learn when I get to it...

Love the golden pics from the weekend party KSA. It looks like RE enjoyed himself! We still haven't gotten Mia in a baby pool (we have one) even though a dog friend was in it... and it was 90 out... nope.

3 dark miles around the neighborhood for me. That's all I've got for now.

Anne

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting discussion on Medicare yesterday!  I've been on it for a year, and DH just signed up last month.  We agree with those who say don't get Medicare Advantage!   It does save some money on premiums, but locks you into a network, so you can't get coverage if you travel, and they can deny claims and "manage" your care.  The insurance companies advertise it heavily, which clearly means that's where they make money.

I checked on how many miles I need to end the month on a prime tomorrow, and I needed either 1.6 or 15.6.   One of the things I find fascinating about prime numbers is how much variation there is between subsequent primes! Sometimes they're close together, and sometimes they're far apart. I ran 8 today, leaving only 7.6 for tomorrow.  It was cold and windy, in the high 20s with several inches of snow on the roads, but I got it done.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Carolyn, perhaps medicare advantage plans are different when it comes to medical care if traveling, or perhaps this is a recent change, because the med adv plan that DH will be enrolling in covers emergency medical care worldwide for a $120 co pay, regardless of in or out of network coverage.  We don't travel much anyways, but it's a nice option to have incase we got in a car accident/brought to a hospital when we do travel out of our area.

Tammy