Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 1.6.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Twocat, I had a lot of work to do right off the bat (hi, Steve) yesterday morning, so there wasn't time for either a workout or to post here. Thanks for starting off, and congrats on completing your first 10K of the year.

Great advice in your column yesterday, Ribs, especially about doing your own research and taking charge of your own health, which includes regular checkups/screenings.

Leslie, we do the strangest things at 1am, don't we? Good luck at "Pick your Poison!" Interesting/scary story about the Old Rattlesnake Bar Bridge.

I'm glad you're continuing to heal, Aamos.

Nice run, Steve. I'm glad the mosquitoes weren't bad. I've seen videos of cats taking over dog's territory and not giving up. Poor AD...

I have to go to a town Budget Committee meeting tonight to explain and try to get their support for a couple of warrant articles that will be in this year's Town Meeting ballot. Of all the town committees, this is my least favorite, and there is one guy who I just don't like at all. I'll try to behave...

4.5 RW miles in 13F temps (WC at 0) this morning. I switched from a windbreaker to a jacket, and wore some slightly heavier gloves inside my mittens, and was cool but not uncomfortable. I had a good workout too, so it was a good start to the day.

Have a greta Tuesday - and stay warm!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hope he doesn't read this, Jay.

Just a scosh over 4 miles for me this morning at about Jay's temps.  Enjoying my new running jacket, but came close to over dressing with adding a fleece vest under it.  This is the first time out in the dark in close to two months, what with injury, travel, and vacation from mid-November on.  Surprisingly, I was the only one running the lake, but there were several of the regular walkers out.  If the forecasts hold, I'll be able to do a MMTD run on Thursday morning just by thinking about running.

Tough coach, Tammy.  And to think, he's just getting started.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning guys and all to follow. Remember to breath deeply at your meeting tonight Jay. And "let it go..."

Nice run in the dark Kevin. What kind of new jacket did you get?

Gotta agree with everyone. That interference call in the Dallas-Detroit game that turned into a non-call was ridiculous. Even Suh was crying! And did anyone catch the national news last night? The video of Governor Christie in the Jimmy Jones box was hilarious! Try to explain your cheering for a team in Dallas when you govern a state that has 3 teams right in the vicinity.

More miles than degrees for me this morning (if I can count running inside). It was -2 with a wind chill I don't even want to talk about. Off to the Y for 6 miles on the track. That's 84 laps, people. I was going to run on a treadmill, but they were all full. Then 30 minutes of weights and core. How can I already be behind the 1,500 mile pace bunny  on January 6?! I'm not letting that happen this year!

Still no hole dug for our new condo. It's just been too cold here for digging/pouring concrete. DH is adjusting to the fact that we will be homeless, probably now until at least April - maybe longer.

Slo

Dallas vs Detroit...wow, that was a terrible call, or should I say call reversal. They had it right to begin with.

I didn't have a dog in the hunt other than the outcome of the game determined who the Packers play. The way Dallas started out (terrible) I was rooting for Dallas.

This weekend...Go Panthers...and Go Pack Go!

Two days...no run. Just didn't have the will power to put up with the double digit sub zero temps yesterday or the slippery roads this morning.

Marathon Maniac #957

If the forecasts hold, I'll be able to do a MMTD run on Thursday morning just by thinking about running.

Yup, here comes the deep freeze here, too, moving in tonight with a low near zero.

A snowstorm in the wee hours left 5 inches or so on the ground, our first snow storm of the season.  The schools are closed because the roads couldn't be cleared in time for the morning classes, although I expect by now it's probably not too bad out there.  Heeding the forecast, I brought extra files home last night and asked the boss if I could work from home today.  Have I said how much I love being able to remote in from home?

8 miles on the TM watching Prometheus.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Nothing about a middle-aged married guy with the Batman bedspread? Really?

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jeanne--I got a One More Mile jacket at the Richmond expo and my DW saved it for me for Christmas.

Men's Brave The Elements Jacket

They also make fleece Not-So Tights (that I also wore this morning.  they are one of the few (only?) places that make Tall, so that they don't look like capris on me.   And reasonably priced on top of it all

Two days...no run. Just didn't have the will power to put up with the double digit sub zero temps yesterday or the slippery roads this morning.

I don't know, Slo.  You might lose your Man Card over this one.

In case you all missed, it SteveP is going to tryout out for the next Olympics.  He seems to have gotten extremely fast in his old age.

Poor Tag!  But he's smart.  Don't mess with a cat with 'tude.

6 miles this a.m.  Tried to keep it easy since Thursday I'm supposed to put a little extra kick in my miles.  I am working my way into speed work a little differently this round.  Coach has me doing stat bike work with intervals thrown in.  Tomorrow is supposed to be an hour with 3-5 min intervals of each min getting progressively faster.  I'm liking having a workout that's not constantly pounding the pavement, and we're working on figuring out a way to keep the bike exercise in the schedule, even when my miles start to climb.

It sounds like a lot of you are headed for a cold snap.  Hang in there!  I think what we were experiencing last week is headed your way, even though obviously we don't get anywhere near as cold as many of you do.  Bundle up and try to stay warm!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Don't mess with me Mike E.!  Remember that you weren't able to run for two hours on Sunday whereas I ran a half hour more.  That's why Lucy and I needed the recovery run. She was exhausted listening to me complain.

Cowboys would have won no matter about that call.  The Lions were gassed by the 4th quarter and did nothing right. But I agree it was a bad call.

But now the big came comes and I have to say I get a bit tired of hearing the frozen tundra stuff, as if all the Packers grew up and played all their football in Green Bay, and anyone coming in there isn't going to be able to take the cold.  And as wonderful as Aaron Rodgers is, he's 2nd to Romo in QB rating this year.  I'm taking the Cowboys in this one and their 8-0 record on the road this season.

A bit over 4 miles today at easy pace with the Saint. We did 2 with Lucy and she couldn't do any more (kind of like the Lions), so we put her in the car and ran two more.

Spareribs

Henrun

I joined the MMTD club and ran just short of 3 around our local reservoir. By the time I got out snow flurries were added to the mix. I dressed well but should have worn mittens instead of gloves.

Re football: we all know it's going to be the Patriots vs. the Packers in the Super Bowl.

I'm taking the Cowboys in this one and their 8-0 record on the road this season.

He's .1 higher but if you look at the rest of the stats, it's a no-brainer. How about a side bet Ribs? If the Packers win, you have to come up with a training program to help a 62 year-old woman finish a half marathon (in May) in two hours or less. If the Cowboys win? I'll send you some of the best brats and Wisconsin brewed beer you've ever had

P.S. The Packers are 8-0 at home. And as sick as you are of hearing about the "Ice Bowl" and the "Frozen Tundra" Ribs? They're replaying the Ice Bowl game on one of the local channels here at 11:00 PM tonight. Would you like me to DVR it for you?

Slo

He's .1 higher but if you look at the rest of the stats, it's a no-brainer. How about a side bet Ribs? If the Packers win, you have to come up with a training program to help a 62 year-old woman finish a half marathon (in May) in two hours or less. If the Cowboys win? I'll send you some of the best brats and Wisconsin brewed beer you've ever had

That's a pretty tough bet to turn down Ribs.

I'm assuming that beer would be New Glarus Jlynne. We stopped on our way home and stocked up.

TammyinGP

4 mile RAL: 38:20

9.52, 9.40, 9.29, 9.07.

surprised myself that i was continually faster each mile. Wasn't really paying much attention to my pace.

Tammy

C-R

Hey all.

I can't believe no one is talking about our Colts and their run to the SB. Of course pesky Denver stands in the way to the conference championships which would be great if it were a Colts vs Ravens game. Those people in Baltimore still have a thing about Mayflower moving vans in 1984.

Good luck with the committee meeting.

I've been battling e-mail issues all day. Our IT desk (in Phillipene's) is confused about my Lotus Notes not working. Yeah. We still use Notes. Amazing how unproductive my job is without e-mail (other than phone).

Good runs everyone. Plan on getting one with kiddo at the indoor track later this evening. Yeah. Its cold here.

Cheers.

Oh and that was the goofiest call/non-call at the Cowboys game I've seen in a while. But Detroit not going for it on 4th and 1 was really poor coaching. Sort of like running 3 miles of a 5k and not trying your hardest on that last .1.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm going to root hard for the Packers and then hope to steal that plan, since that's also my new year's resolution.  And while I doubt I can keep up with a 62 YO (HA-I still don't believe it) who does warrior runs, I'd love to give it a shot.