Masters Running

Over 50 does speed go first (Read 315 times)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I can run for 2 hours. My strength is good.

But I have lost what little speed I once had.

Also I used to be able to touch the rim and now I can't touch the net.

Is this common for most runners over 50.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Walk-Jogger

I can run for 2 hours. My strength is good.

But I have lost what little speed I once had.

Also I used to be able to touch the rim and now I can't touch the net.

Is this common for most runners over 50.

I think it's like most things in life, "use it or lose it". While there is the inevitable erosion of absolute maximum potential, you can work on and reclaim some of that speed. My 12k race time this year was only 1 minute slower than when I was in my 30's, not that I was particularly fast back then, and my 100m sprint time  now is only slower by just over 1 second from my 30's. I work at my running a lot more diligently these days in order to keep my speed. 

Retired &  Loving It

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Everyone's different but I think you're right on track.

For 25 years of my running marathons through age 58, I could still slip under four hours every once-in-a-whlle.

You don't want to hear what it is like now, 11 years later.

However, my main nemesis (also 69, but a slim/trim goddess), who was running the same four hour marathons with me when we met in 1990, just ran 3:58 at this summer's Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon (compared to my six hours).   

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Tom, if you make your log public it would be easier to comment.  Hard to respond without knowing what you're doing/what you've done.

Be safe. Be kind.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Tramps i just changed it I did not know it was set to private.

I am hurt right now.  This past year i have only been running 10-15 miles a week and lifting about twice a week.

I would like to get up to 30-35 in 2013 and start running faster. I know i also need to lose 25 to 30 pounds.

Tramps

I would like to get up to 30-35 in 2013 and start running faster. I know i also need to lose 25 to 30 pounds.

Hmmmm....sounds like you might have answered your own question here.  Heal up, build a base, lose some weight, and THEN start thinking about speed. You may not have the speed you had 30 years ago but you might be surprised at what you're able to do!

Be safe. Be kind.

lamerunner

Your mileage sounds a little low, but yes for those of use who have been running a while, yes, the speed fades. Training helps to a point but you gotta watch the injuries too, so it is a balance...

Dave59

Tom -

I lived in Charleston from 1981 to 1999.  I ran the distance run in 1989.  Are you still in that area?  I actually still work for a company there: HealthSmart, formally Wells Fargo TPA, formally Acordia National, formally American Business Insurance, formally McDonough Caperton Insurance Group.   (As you can see I've been working for them since 1984.)

I work remotely from Michigan and a few times a year I go down there for a week of meetings and stuff.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Sorry to buck the opinions of my elders.Wink  I have found my speed increased since 50 but then I didn't race much prior so perception is probably skewed.  I also have to admit  my injuries have increased as well even when I am careful and train right. 

That said  I found running 400 intervals  on indoor track helped to improved my speed.  Training with 40 something faster runners also helps. Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

No more marathons

Sure, the age graded calculators at http://www.heartbreakhill.org/age_graded.htm

would tend to indicate about a 1 minute 20 second slow down from 40 to 50 year olds who run a 5K around 20 minutes.

In addition to that slow down, I've also found it difficult (OK - damn near impossible) to put the same intensity into training that will get me to the same percentage on the age graded chart - so sort of a double wammy.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Dave i have lived in charleston my whole life. I first ran the distance run in 1977

and ran it untill 1991. From 2000 to 2007 i just did the 5k.