Masters Running

It's Friday! 8.14.15 (Read 34 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Twocat---agreed!

I love the combination of running and work travel. I've met great folks that way (remember our morning runs Holly?!) and I get to see so much and enjoy new places. There are many times when I'll run to my meeting spot, so I really know here I am going once it's official business time. I find that so helpful in this day and age of the GPS that isolates the route and make me lose a sense of where I am in the big picture...I miss paper maps! In the last week of August I'll run in MD, NC, and CO  all in the space of five days and then in early-mid September I'll run in Scotland and England and all thanks to business travel. Anyway....fun stuff and allows me to keep on keeping on.

I also agree, but I think you guys might also be working on a more civilized schedule.  Or be more dedicated.  7am starts and 7pm finishes at a lot of plants (and a 1/2 hour drive to some) help kill my ambition for Jay o'clock runs.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - the news said that the balls last 10 years, after which they are gathered up and recycled.  Don't know about the protection from rain, but they did say it would save something like 300 million of gallons of water per year from evaporation, and also protect against algae forming, and protect against the chemical reaction that can happen when chlorinated water gets sunlight, making a poisonous by-product.

DH and I are heading up to Lake Erie to visit friends, do a little boating.  Hopefully I may get a run in, but we will see.

13 miles for me today in 70-ish degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I also agree, but I think you guys might also be working on a more civilized schedule.  Or be more dedicated.  7am starts and 7pm finishes at a lot of plants (and a 1/2 hour drive to some) help kill my ambition for Jay o'clock runs.

Well....I recall many a 5:00 am run with Holly or even earlier when I would meet up with SkipAZ.....My work day at Lafayette College yesterday started off at 7:30 am :-P  Hill repeats commenced at 5:00 am.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...after being scared by Posie and being yelled at by Twocat...I have decided to take, at least, the weekend off from running.  I was really looking forward to doing a 15k with my team on Sunday, but...I think I'd better take some good advise, this time, and see if a couple days off helps.  From what I have read, if it is a fractured pelvis, I will be out for a long time.  Although, I also read that a fractured pelvis would not stop hurting after warming it up....so, we shall see.  I have not done a team race for a long time...I hope they don't kick me off.

Okay--that"s it.  Good luck to everybody who is racing, this weekend...including HermosaBoy, who is doing the race I wanted to do.

See ya!

They say that during sex you burn off as many calories as running 8 miles.
            Who the hell runs 8 miles in 15 seconds?

Spareribs

Thanks, I needed the chuckle.

And even though MikeE has decided to not run based on being yelled at a couple times already, I feel the need to add my 

I did run after work on Wednesday.  I had to think about which day it was 'cause I keep thinking today is Saturday since I'm down with my dad and not at work.  Went about 5 miles and ended up with a nice blister under the callous on the ball of my foot.  There's a fine line with keeping my callouses at bay where they get really sore and cause problems.  Anyway - enough of that.  This morning I did the 3-mile loop by my brother's house.  My legs felt dead, so I said no to two loops.  Tomorrow I'll give two a try . . . but it's soooooo boring.

Down here with my dad and let's just say that it's freaking hard.  My admiration for my brother just continues to rise as I realize what he is doing - how he is sacrificing - for my dad.  Our prayer is that one day we will be able to look back on this and have a good laugh at everything we've gone through.  Right now I am sitting with him while he goes through his 4 hrs of dialysis.  The nurse is extremely nice and showed me his numbers and thoroughly explained the process.  She has to sit here for the whole 4 hrs.  I'm sure we'll be getting to know each other. 

And thank you for all your continued prayers and thoughts.  It really does mean a lot to me.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Stumps - runners do not need to be civilized, or even normal.

Even for entirely undedicated me, J-o'clock has provided adventures that otherwise never would have happened, including in China, Singapore, London and lots of cities in Japan, primarily as a way to go to places and sights somewhere at ground level with the locals before the city woke up and my business began too.  I still remember many of those trips as much for the runs as for the business.
              This winter, it helped me discover up to a hundred or more senior citizens gathering on grounds of Osaka Castle for their daily version of the national morning radio/television exercise program.  I used to despise the program with three nubiles in leotards bending and stretching as if they had tendons of rubber but I was right at home with the greying ones, few of whom could their toes, or most anything else either.
              Best trip of all was to a first-and-only meeting in Hawaii in 1987 that started on a Monday in Kailua-Kona two days after the one-and-only Hawaii Ironman I somehow sneaked into at the last minute when higher-ranking age-groupers from qualifying IM”s could not come after all. Except for the previously-scheduled business meeting, there would have been no way to make it. I can still hear, “YOU ARE AN IRONMAN” ringing over Aliʻi Drive in Kailua-Kona but it's more-and-more like a dream every year.. .

For now, however, north-south-east-or-west, up-or-down, right-or-left, rain-or-shine, Seattle has many memorable routes too.   I can't keep up to anyone anymore as in 2006 along Lake Union with Mariposai but my bike let me keep up for jtv in Boomer days and mariposai along Elliott Bay earlier this year.in case anyone has any time on their feet during any future Seattle trips, . . . and I’m here and not somewhere else. 
              ps - how many states have you run in for fun, karin.
              Thanks for the memories.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

OK, more dedicated it is. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo_Hand masters or Ph.D.  I am asking because there is a world of difference as to what each means for the future.  A masters and they could end up nearby.  A Ph.D. and now you are talking about a likely trip to who knows where to see them.

About running on business trips, for me it is often when I go to give seminars.  Some groups have me meet someone for breakfast and keep me busy through dinner.  Once, past dinner to drinks all night where we closed down a bar.  Then the next day I gave what in my profession is called a "job talk."  Fortunately, it was one of the best papers I ever wrote, I would say about #4 to date, and I managed to get an offer of sorts (long story) despite having had no sleep and the hangover from hell.  The point is, you can run even with a crazy schedule!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

this morning's distant lightning and thunder finally found its way to Seattle with an all day rain that could not be denied for a late afternoon run back along this morning's same 4.5 miles.  First time I can remember WARM rain out here that was commonplace every morning in Singapore, and the HHH summers in the Michigan and Japan in those days.  Back to the eighties tomorrow.  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)