Masters Running

Let's have a Sunday Daily - 5.19.13 (Read 50 times)

Posie, congrats to Daniel and his friend!  I'm not sure how many people can lift their knees that high at the end of a marathon!  Way to go coach, and cheerleader!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Posie, congrats to Daniel and his friend!  I'm not sure how many people can lift their knees that high at the end of a marathon!  Way to go coach, and cheerleader!

+1 x 100!

That is one joy of running magazine cover photo Maraposai! Congratulations to all.

The photo of your Will made me smile Robin....so sweet!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mari and crew--hope you weren't going more than 5MPH at that point.  Hate to get a speeding ticket at the end of the marathon Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Holy Trek Trot Tet!

Hi Super Granny!

Though the man has every right to be proud of Prime Rib, I'm concerned about the H&H comment. When is it too early in the year for fines?

Love the picture Robin

Good for Remi!

Nancy, that photo is aces.

Yesterday's 5K was a blessing. Avenger Doggie, DW, DD#2, Honey, DD#1, SIL#1, Noah and Roman all entered. Roman was in a stroller and the rest of us did a Noah Relay. The original plan was for Noah to pace Gramp for the entire 5K and he was fired up.

There were over 100 people and as many dogs. After the starting gun went off, Noah decided to race with Grammy, Aunt Rachel and Honey.

Tag and I have been working with him on a leash. This was his strongest finish ever. Near mile three, I got to embrace the pukey feeling. It's been years. Avenger Doggie and I were close to the last people ones to cross the start line, but we finished easily in the top 10 with a time of 35:11. The thing that makes the most sense is that the sandy trails really took a toll and we run on it often. We went back and forth between 4th and 7th until the near barf. Only the top three were official placers. We got an award for dressing alike, which I don't understand. Then we got a $10.00 gift card for a restaurant. Then we got a frisbee. Finally we were able to run back 3/4 of a mile and have Noah pace us in!

There's finish pictures that I'll share when available.

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I've been waiting all day to hear about your marathon, Posie.  I was kind of concerned about your son and his friend's short training cycle.  From the looks of that picture I, obviously, had nothing to worry about.

I was, also, worried about your long run, today, Holly.  I'm glad to hear your knee held up.

Now, I have to worry about enke's knee, too.

Do I worry too much?

Great job, Tet!  I'm hoping I'll still be able to get out of bed when I'm 70.

Robin--I used to let my kids ride their bikes with me on my runs, too.  It was so stressful!  I was constantly telling them to stay close and to slow down at the corners and to move to the right and to not get too close to the edge of the path and on and on.  I'd have to really pick it up going down hill to keep up with them, then slow down as they struggled up the hills.  But I loved it!  You, obviously, will too.

This was a speed work day but. when I looked ahead on my calendar, I saw that my team has a race coming up on Memorial Day and, since I haven't participated in any of our races, this year, I figured I should try to make this one.  So--I did a long run, instead.  20.3 miles in 2:32:02.  It was a tough one.  It was 76o and partly cloudy, but when the sun came out, it was hot.  Luckily, with 2 1/2 miles to go, it started pouring.  In fact, with the wind blowing so hard, the rain was stinging as it hit me...but it was better than the heat.  Anyway...that's my run.

So...my 5th grade twin granddaughters were in a track meet last week.  They competed against both 5th and 6th graders.  Madi--the one on the left, took 2nd in the 1600 in 6:35--she was beaten by a 6th grader by a couple seconds.  Mallory--on the right--anchored her medley relay team to a 1st place finish.  They're so dang cool....

Okay--I'd better get off of here and get ready for tomorrow.  See ya!

Speaking of music, they had a women's group singing a cappela, who were just awesome. And what made it even better is that they had no instrumental accompaniment.

Spareribs, I love how you never miss an opportunity to mess with us in words.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Great pictures today!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I wilted under the sun yesterday and posted my slowest half marathon.  The weather seemed decent, but it was a little warmer and more humid that I was used to, and oh that sun.  Never eased up on me.  I am totally a shade person.  You would think a 7:00am start would have meant the sun would be low and the sky and not so intense.

On the bus ride back to the hotel, most people thought the weather was good, but there were a few others like me who were wiped out and thought the sun and humidity was tough.  I bet it would have been refreshing for someone coming from Florida.

I did have a good time in the race, got to run around Lambeau and finish for a change.  I took the first 5 miles or so purposefully slow so I could run a strong 2nd half, but instead I was hot and even slower.  I don't remember much after mile 5 or 6 from last year because I was just trying to survive, so much of the course was new to me this year.   It was nice to run past the aid station at mile 9.6 where I quit last year.

I took the big boat (SS Badger) back home yesterday because I love the boat, and odds are I won't be back that way for a while, if ever.  With my daughter back here there is no excuse to head that way.  I certainly am not running Green Bay again.  Home of my only DNF and a PW. Big grin   I guess that's what I deserve as a Bills fan going to Lambeau.  Maybe next spring I'll run the Buffalo half.

mrrun

I wilted under the sun yesterday and posted my slowest half marathon.  The weather seemed decent, but it was a little warmer and more humid that I was used to, and oh that sun.  Never eased up on me.  I am totally a shade person.  You would think a 7:00am start would have meant the sun would be low and the sky and not so intense.

Dave - congrats on your finish - and you got to finish on Lambeau field!  i can't run in humidity either - even at the end of summer when i'm 'used' to it!  many florida races start at 6 am and i still have trouble with the temps/humidity.

marj