Masters Running

Holiday Monday Daily, 9.2.13 (Read 44 times)

evanflein

Great run for you, Enke! It has been a long time, but good to see you running well. Cool Bobcat sighting, too!

Ryan runs a 26.2 mile training run? Wow...

Jay, that wine tasting and cheese tasting sounds awesome. DH is a real cheese hound and would've been in heaven! Dinner sounds good, too. Hope your ankle is ok.

Well, I got out for a mid-day run today and after it had rained lightly all night I thought it was done, but nope... I was maybe 3/4 of a mile away from the house and it started sprinkling, then raining a little harder. It wasn't too bad but enough that I wished I'd had my hat. Something about rain in my eyes that I don't care for. But it wasn't too bad, and I didn't turn around and run for home. 7.1 soggy miles at 8:22 avg pace, I'll call it GA. Now that I'm home and all cleaned up, it seems to have completely stopped raining and the skies are lightening up. Figures.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bobcats and bears.  I hope Troy is okay.

Hey Jay, do you have a food review column somewhere?
      You make me hungry for things I don’t even like. <<<(cheeze/wine)|>>>
      Except for at a Cascade Crest 15K in 1990 with Steve Jones and other elites in the running, I’ve never recognized most of the elite runners nowadays. However, I’ve always looked forward to many running legends at R’n’R’s and other marathons: Frank Shorter/Boston Billie/Joan Benoit Samuelson multiple times over the years and at recent Rock’n’Rolls, Jim Ryun, Suzie Hamilton, Scott Jurek (who we used to see a lot when he lived here in Seattle), Dean Karnazes and many more. With regard to IM’s, with entries climbing towards $600 or more (I don’t even know what it is anymore), I vowed off them in 2003 and only did two more as I shifted into more economical ultras when the IM adopted a rule that “shirts and shoes are required for the bike and run courses.”   It got to be too annoying, and stressful, when I was supposed to be having fun, to have to put a pair of shoes in my fanny pack to be able to say I did have the required shoes with me (but “they are too hot,” “giving me blisters,” or some other lame excuse for not wearing them when I’d get stopped multiple times throughout the day on the 112 mile bike course and 26.2 mile run).  Another otherwise shirtless friend of mine got even more annoyed and started wearing a white dress shirt (though not buttoned very much).  Oh well.
      Annual Labor Day half mary today with Ironman Frank (dr. feman) and Duathlon Sylvia..

Last Labor Day, at age 81, frank slipped over two hours for the first time (by ten minutes). He lost another ten minutes to Father Time again this year too.  With two goddess half mary posts pending <<<(OM/ilene)>>>, I wasn’t going to say my time but will say that I lost another of the same twenty minutes I was behind frank last year to end up 30 minutes slower than him this year.  It's also the first time since I've been running with them since we met at the 1987 Ironman that sylvia beat me outright.  Sometimes I think my running age is 15 years older than my chronological age.  Oh well.
      ps twocat: unless it’s got some special meaning or something, maybe find a substitute runner for your upcoming relay rather than feel under pressure of your teammates to excel and risk further injury. Unless you’re showing off for some goddess or something, no injury is worth it.

pps tom - you're supposed to say it was the most delicious corn you have ever eaten or you'll never make the food review. I'm sure it was way better than anything we get around here in the PNW.  Japanese tv when I'm over there is full of food shows, tasting, eating and they always say how delicious someting is,  even eggplant sushi once.  yuk. I thought you were going to say you got 12 or 13, not 12 or 13 dozen. I never heard of that much corn.  Maybe you can trade some to troy for some fish.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

enkephalin very neat!  I have never seen a wild bobcat.

tetsujin209 well Mariposai is flying all the way out to run with the team.  As to worrying about pressure from my teammates to excel?  Not a problem.  If I had to walk the whole time they would cheer me on anyway.  Many teams track road kill, the number of runners passed.  We give runners credit for getting passed too!  Who knows if I walk all of my legs I may actually win the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club version of the road kill contest!  Then again our team captain may give me a walk for my money.  She is trying to recover in time to run but may end up walking her legs.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Yea, Enke!!

And Dave59 - great running.

Corn on the cob, smoked meatloaf, cheese tasting, Jay's entire freaking dinner - - - I'm starving now!

Jay - Have you ever had Humboldt Fog goat cheese?  It's made here.  I'm not big on goat cheese, but they have a mild one I can generally tolerate (can't remember the name).

I'm with Ribs re the Tamster.  What's she's been doing to everyone on FB is just wrong.  Wrong.

Been having lots of trouble sleeping lately.  Friday night/Saturday morning, I didn't get to sleep 'til around 1:30, so decided to make my scheduled 22 sort of easy.  Once I get to the main logging road out in Trinidad, you can take the main road for quite a ways in either direction without a lot of climbing or descending.  Went left and spent the run working on my "I can run at this pace all day" pace, keeping it easy and HR low.  At one point I was thinking, "This is going well!"  On the return, it hit me why: A little over 4 miles of mostly descending . . . . which means over 4 miles of mostly ascending on the return.  None of it was hard climbing, so I was able to work on my climbing endurance.

For the first time in awhile, though, I got to a point where I sure would've liked to have someone to talk to,  Mostly bored, I guess. So off went the podcasts and on came the Rhett Walker Band, and they jammed me through to the end. Smile

Yesterday was mostly a rest day, except for house and yard work, and today was about 40 min of core/strength with the TRX and Swiss ball, then about 3 hours of yard work helping Shorty at one of his jobs.  Lots of raking, squatting, bending over, lifting.  Shorty's off to an AA meeting then meeting my friend's GD at Celebrate Recovery, so I'm enjoying my alone time and catching up on my recorded guilty pleasure shows.  Smile

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for the aniakchak background La"T.

No wonder it looks the same as in those days.

Twocat - do you have to be injured to be on your team or is just naturally slow okay?

You are so luck to take mariposai away from us for another week.

I am not jealous. I am not jealous, I am not jealours.

me too on the  pictures from cycling around BC divechief.

However, watch out for those crazy Camicaze Canucks on bikes.

<<<(you know who I mean)>>>.

ps - where's today's half mary goddesses?

pps divechief - what happened to Bianca?

do you have her phone number?

I might need to talk before the 9/15 Kirkland Tri.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

This has been a long day.  3 hour bike ride with Ryan, this morning.  Then for my speed work, I went and did a pretty intense fartlek workout with the high school cc team.  It's a whistle workout on a 1/2 mile hilly loop--10 sets of 40 seconds @ 10k pace--20 seconds @ 5k pace--8 second sprint--40 second 10k pace.  It was brutal...but really fun.  Then I had to come home and mow the lawn.  Tomorrow is a rest day and I am ready for it...too bad I have to got to work.

Okay--I'm off to bed!  See ya!

Smile  Have a good sleep, Mike.

It's official - Diana Nyad is my new hero!!  The poster girl for not giving up on your dreams and where there's a will, there's a way.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Working out in the fog is the best, Jay

Bless the comeback trail Dave59

((((((Two Cat)))))

Cool bobcat sighting!

Holy Freezer Corn.

We dropped DW's car at one end of a trail and drove the truck to the other end. DW, Tag, honey and I went three miles to her car. Tag and I ran three miles back. We got to a point where beavers cross the trail and Tag sat down and wouldn't budge when I nudged him forward. I went around him and kept going, he jumped over the beaver path.

SteveP