Masters Running

Sunday Runs (Read 422 times)

Divechief, enjoy your run and sing that Johnny Cash song while you're there.  A few years ago driving up from the Sacramento airport to Bend for the Haulin' Aspen trail marathon, I did a trail run and I think it was just north of the city on the Sacramento River, maybe at Lake of the Woods State Wildlife Area.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite – I refuse to click on a link to a song that Claire sends – I know too well what that may lead to….

MikeE – having worked for years with various probate cases, I can tell you, the families afterward are sometimes just unbelievable, scrabbling for ridiculously silly items.  Families are torn apart and lifelong enemies made, all over velvet-Elvis paintings and the like.

Yesterday’s golf scramble went well.  This was mostly men that my DH works with, with just a few women.  I am not a terribly good golfer, but did well enough not to embarrass myself.  Another woman and I split the $30 Longest Drive prize (since there were so few of us it wasn’t too hard), and I won another $15 for Closest Drive to the Pin on one of the holes.  Very cool. 

18 slow and sluggish miles for me today, but in a lovely morning, though.  I think the late-evening post-golf pulled pork extravaganza was maybe not the best LR fueling.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

After yesterday's 10 mile race at 8:45 pace, I bagged my planned 20 today (I know, I'm a weenie)

But I did run 18 miles at 8:34 pace!  (3 laps around the lake)

Passed 5 wild turkeys (if I had my camera I could have had a shot of Wild Turkey!), 2 muskrats (in love) and one bunny (all alone?)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

perch//......Congratulations on a Great Run....I was too ShellShocked to register that yesterday......

nice running.

ya weenie

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

SteveP

SteveP - Don't forget about Bigfoot.  Oh wait, that's only out here in the northwest. . . . . . supposedly . . . . . .

This is 15 miles from my house and was updated today. I used to go running through there. This time of year, the flies are too bad. Nice 8 miles trail loop if you don't mind being torn apart by a rabid Sasquatch.  

http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=28805

SteveP

Nice 8 miles trail loop if you don't mind being torn apart by a rabid Sasquatch.  

Mm hm.  Yep.  Watch yer back, SteveP.

Divechief - What part of "north of San Francisco" might you be exploring?

Holly - Pulled pork extravaganza: YUM!

MikeE - I'm thinking your DW's family is somehow related to my mom's &itch of a sister.  Talked about greedy.  She tried to say that because my uncle was adopted by my grandpa (my grandma's 3rd husband), he wasn't entitled to anything.  And Holly - we had a case where the fight was over the wooden spoon the mom used while making spaghetti sauce.  Lots of $$$ expended over that. Roll eyes

No workout today.  Instead, I spend the day spraying down the outside of the house in preparation of scraping and sanding some spots to get it through the upcoming winter.  I was going to use the power washer, but I couldn't get it started.  It must be related to our weed eater.  I hate that thing. Evil  One time The Hub literally stopped me with it raised in the air, ready to chuck it across the yard.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dove

The Dovenator

Quick drive-by post.... 56.38 miles....3rd masters (out of 30+), 5th overall woman. I felt strong the whole way and flew the last 3 miles (sometimes things just come together at the most unexpected times)

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Maniac 505

Divechief - What part of "north of San Francisco" might you be exploring?

Leslie:

I plan on hitting the coast somewhere around Fort Bragg.  I have no itinerary.  I expect to spend between 4 days to 7 or so days traveling back to Seattle.  Just depends on how much I feel like doing on the way.  I made a similar trip over 20 years ago.  It will be interesting to see if anything has changed much.  I will probably cut inland around Olympia instead of driving up the Olympic peninsula and taking a ferry home.  (I forgot my ferry pass, so I would have to pay)  connectivity might be spotty after tonight and I will have to post from my phone so I will read all the messages but we will see how much I can post.

Dove:

Congrats on the race  You are AWESOME

Quick drive-by post.... 56.38 miles....3rd masters (out of 30+), 5th overall woman. I felt strong the whole way and flew the last 3 miles (sometimes things just come together at the most unexpected times)

Starting with my run at 5:30 a.m. your time, I was sending strength your way.  Glad it worked.Wink  And what Divechief said.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Woo Hoo, Dove!!!!  Way to go, Girl!!!!

Dive - Well, if you pass through Eureka, honk! Smile

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

The whole talk about who gets what when grandma dies just kills me. Some people are just amazing. You wonder how many of those hard fought-for items end up as garage sale fodder later on...  Oh, by the way, MikeE, my DH wants the candelabra... and if she doesn't have one of those, he'll take the salad shooter.

Woohoo Dove! That's a wonderful race for you! I hope you write a race report, because that sounds like a really impressive run you had. Congratulations!

Happy travels, Dave. 

We had another rainy day today, but it seemed like a good enough break in the clouds that I could get out for a run of some sort. DH drove me to a popular starting point to run up Ester Dome, and I took off in a light sprinkle that lasted about the first 1.5 miles. The trail was slick but runnable... but still, I walked a lot of it. To be expected; I'll do that during the race as well so it's all good. The out-and-back was pretty muddy, and it looks like someone had a blade back there to try to level the trail out, but they just made a mess. The turnaround always seems to be sooner than I expected, and I hit the sign and ran back up the hill... then walked. Did the run/walk thing back to where the trail meets the road, and DH was there waiting for me! It was raining a bit, and the athletic club was closed, so he'd come up to meet me to see if I needed a drink or a ride or anything. I'd decided to run down the road instead of the trail (too slick!) so DH drove down a bit and waited for me, as the rain picked up and I got soaked. I was ok though, and met him at the starting point again for a ride home. 12.7 extremely hilly rainy miles, overall avg 9 m/m. Here's the elevations profile....