Masters Running

Columbus Monday, 10.12.15 (Read 37 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - the ferry ride, definitely a very cool option.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks TW.  Both my dad and ex wife are from Kentucky...so I enjoyed that.

I especially agreed with #28,,,,,,,,,,,,even tho I'm told we all sound alike

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

marj, which half are you doing that has the hills?

Chilly Newton half on Nov 8th.  Ran 14 and now enjoying the beautiful October weather.

Happy Columbus Day
          Happy Indigenous Peoples Day
          Happy Canadian Thanksgiving

That about covers it

Tufts 10K is always run on the Monday of any of the above three. It was first run in 1977 as the Bonnie Bell and that changed to Tufts 10K in the '80s. It is a womans only run, but each year I see a few more men on the course. Today was a bit rough - I started out with a 10/min pace and was feeling very comfortable with this, but in spite of hydrating well, the heat and sun got to me. Mile 4 I ran a bit slower and then at 4:75 I got a left calf cramp. So I did my 2' run/3" walk the rest of the way in. Afterwards, I wandered around a bit, and then took Charles St to the MGH subway - this is old stomping grounds for me. Along the way I chatted with Shannon - who I just met - she also hails from CA, lives in Somerville, and occasionally runs Monday SRR group run. So we may join up there in the next few weeks.

I think that Marj didn't run today and would like 5 year age groups for such a large race AND is not able to run Gobble X 3 'cause on that day she is cooking a turkey. As half Canadian - I may not to Canadian TG, but would be hard pressed to actually cook an American TG feast.

Any Canadians, living in the US, here feel otherwise?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

mrrun

I think that Marj didn't run today and would like 5 year age groups for such a large race AND is not able to run Gobble X 3 'cause on that day she is cooking a turkey. 

and I can't run the Jingle Bell run, because I'm taking GD & DD to Nutcracker!

and I can't run the Jingle Bell run, because I'm taking GD & DD to Nutcracker!

Okay - then Saturday at Freshpond it is Wink

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

(waving hi)  A beautiful fall morning here, too.  2 little miles with Herr Wegetarian.

mrrun

Okay - then Saturday at Freshpond it is Wink

+ +

Miss you all when I'm not jumping in here on a regular basis. Have to admit, it's been a rough week with rib/sternum pain and not being able to run - think that's what keeps me away at times. I was so miserable after that 18 mile run last Sat. that I went back to the dr for a f/u - no broken ribs or anything serious, but the pain is ridiculous at times. We closed up the camper today and I was really trying to be careful about lifting too much.  I really took it easy all last week - worked 2 of my 3 shifts - and did 1 hour on my indoor trainer Friday. Also went back to the chiro who is using laser therapy on my sternum to help reduce inflammation -- I'll try just about anything right now!!

It was such a beautiful day here this afternoon (but a bit too hot at noon for the Tufts 10k women) so I dragged my indoor bike trainer outside and rode for 3 hours in the shade....I just couldn't bring myself to spend the afternoon riding in my basement and I definitely could not take a chance on a real ride - it would be disastrous if I fell again now. Felt so good to push myself for that length of time - hoping it somewhat replaces my last long run for Dublin.

Congrats to all the racers this past weekend and to all running/walking/moving period!! Have a great week ahead my friends!!

denise

moebo

Wow, quite a busy day of posting here!

Jay, I hope that your hamstring/glute issue feels okay tomorrow. Sounds like the Graston technique might be the right fix.

Robin, glad you were able to finish that long run. I hope your calf twinges are all gone!

Sorry to hear about the calf cramps for you at the end of the Tufts 10K, La T, but good you were able to get through it.

Congratulations to Aamos on an excellent warmly moist marathon (and to CNY and Ilene, too, on theirs)!

Tselbs, didn't you run faster than usual another time not long ago? Maybe today wasn't a fluke!

No running today, but a lovely 15-mile lakeside bike ride with BF, enjoying the fabulous weather and near-peak foliage. I love this time of year.

Looking forward to running in the morning. Not looking forward to the work week....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I hope you feel better soon, deez.  That is one injury I cannot even relate to.  I think it's cool that you took your trainer outside.

As I watched the temps stay in the upper 40's and the wind pick up to 25 to 30 mph, I was not looking forward to my run tonight.  But--I went out and got it done.  After doing 1.75 miles in 14:07, I did 6 x 1 with .25 recoveries between each.  I did the 1 mile repeats in 6:24 - 6:25 - 6:07 (had the wind at my back on that one) - 6:17 - 6:20 - 6:25.  With a 1.2 mile cool down, I ended up with 10.2 miles in 1:12:09.  I have one more tough workout before MCM.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya.

Mariposai

Moebo, please take pictures of your fall foliage and post them here for us. Your bike ride sounds so relaxing.

Denise, ouch, take care of the ouchie sistahh. Take it easy, this also shall pass.

What an amazing racing weekend we had here over the weekend!

Look at my idol Marj, she ran 14 miles today. Hurrahh!

MikeE, your training postings always inspires me. You are so dedicated and such a gifted runner.

Funny, I had the day off today, but I decided to use the quiet Monday to work from home on a very complicated budget for work. I got so much done in 6 hours, which at the busy and noisy office would have taken me two days or more and a lot of frustration. Day well spent and now I can freely take a day off when I want to to comp for today. The Easy Pacer and I did enjoy a lovely 6 miler this afternoon. The weather is just gorgeous here.

Here is to a successful week to all!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Love the surprise TomS.

SteveP

moebo

Denise, I hope you are better soon!

Mariposai, here are a few photos. They definitely do not do the landscape justice, but you get the idea.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wow moebs, that's way more justice than we get out here in the  PNW

let's see some more from everywhere.

thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)