Masters Running

Mondaily 8 Jan (Read 41 times)

C-R

Where is everyone?

Nice potatoes Steve. Now I'm hungry.

Just a quick ride for me this morning due to a dental checkup. All clear for another 6 months. Will run tonight with the club crew and looking forward to tonight's football game.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...mornin' CR.....

hit the Y yesterday and it was packed

30-min on the StairClimber, since it was the ONLY equipment not being used

==========

erika and lamerunner//........I was very impressed with both of you talking about getting back to Running

apparently

I am a Big SissyBoy................the two hips were the only surgeries I ever had

and

when the surgeon said ''If you Run on it, I'll have to cut you open again in 10-years''

I said

''Well, it was a Good 42-Years while it lasted''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Morning Masters! Today was a maintenance run 4 miles at a reasonable pace, unlike yesterday.

tomwhite, one of my good friends uses the stair climber but I must tell you that to me it looks like a dangerous unit. He says he need to cross train as he's getting ready for the Boston again. I look at that ans tell myself it's why I run HMs. Have a greight day all!

Thanks, Norm.  I've been wrong with my picks through the playoffs, so I pick Michigan!     Steve- that barbecue sauce sounds amazing.

5.5 miles this morning which turned out to be more than I should have done.  I still have this little bug or cold that is lingering.  It is truly minor, but it still affects me.  Had to take a bunch of walking breaks starting at 3 miles.  I made it home, though.

Robert Earl goes to the vet this morning for one last heartworm check/bloodwork.  If he's clear- which he should be after the onerous treatment, we can schedule him for neutering.  He's not going to be happy about any of this.

I can't hold a candle to Hotel Jay, but we have some houseguests coming Wed-Saturday.  We're going to see Garrison Keilor at the Ryman on Thursday evening.  I guess he's off of the shit list and touring again.  We've seen him a few times at the Ryman and it's a great show.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

sub7, considering how much I don't run, I guess I can't lose that much cardio. I think you were thinking of someone else.

Steve, nice peaches!  Also, been meaning to reply to you re my tinnitus. It went away slowly on its own over about 3 years. I suspect the brain rewires to not receive the signals so much. I feel like I probably have a normal to slightly higher level of that background noise now when it is quiet. One doctor told me "everyone over 40 has tinnitus". Yeah, but, I had inner ear inflammation (post-flu) and labyrinthitis for 9 months and the tinnitus was pretty bad at first.

Yesterday I did a 4 mile walk with MBE, which included window shopping for a new car for him. I don't think he is ready to part with the cash. I hope to buy a truck in a year or two. Would really like all-electric. Would really like Toyota to come out with an all electric Tacoma model.

Will be going to a pub this afternoon to try to get a seat to watch the UW/Michigan game.

Raining an inch here today, but I hope to get out for 3 soggy shoe miles later.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Tammy - wow, that is scary!

Steve - looks yummy!

No run for me today.  My hamstrings are sore from my weights workout yesterday, so I thought a rest day was in order.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP that was some fright you got.

SteveP that does look like a very sweet barbecue sauce. I bet the kids love it!

I am heading out this afternoon to see my friend who was in the ER with some heart issue. I hope to get the lowdown when I see him. His DW is worried, and he should be too. As SteveP wrote an epiphany would be good. No run on my schedule today. Just some upper body weights. That and crying about the ski conditions I am going to fly out to this week. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Forgot to say, Tammy, how scary! Did you guys figure out what caused it?

3.27 wet, cold miles in steady rain, 39 F. The first mile was kind of miserable, but then I warmed up. Had the shoe squishies by the last half mile.

I kept it easy and my avg HR was about where I wanted it to be.

Also, Garmin was pleased and promoted my training from "maintaining" to "productive".

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

yep

Love those SteveP pics........

===========

40s but cold wind

.....40-min at city park,,,,,,,,,,,trailboots,,,,,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mmmmm!  That peach BBQ sauce sounds wonderful, Steve!

Hope both Kim AND Tammy are feeling better today.  Geesh!

I got nuthin' and with the way I feel this afternoon, don't know if I'll do anything after work.  I'm on a run of not sleeping and last night was a doozy.  And for the past week at work, I've come in every morning and gone straight into my boss' office for 2+ hrs to work on tasks lists and other things through a new program we have to try and get this department in shape.  I told him this morning that I was working of fumes and I'm just about "fumed out".

So now I'm going to finish my lunch and lay my head down for awhile . . .

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Good afternoon, folks!   I hope people are feeling better!  Some scary stuff going on here.

I took this morning off (from swimming) in order to drive my DD and her DD (Magdalena) to child care, where DD works and her DD is now one of the new charges.   From all reports, Magdalena's first day in child care went well, and we're going to pick her up in just a few minutes.   DD's first day back to work after several months of maternity leave...well, we'll be getting the lowdown on that in a couple of hours.   For tonight, at least, we have the pleasure of having them over for dinner.   We thought this was going to extend for the rest of the school year on Mondays but no such luck for us.   We'll see if I get a chance to get in the pool this evening after dinner.  The pool closes at 8:30 so for a worthwhile swim I need to be in the water by 7:30 at the latest.   It's even possible I'll get a strength workout too, but I'm not really hopeful about either, to be honest.

We got new furniture delivered today.  We made out like bandits.  It's a ginormous sectional with a sleeper.  Everything combined, delivered (with two large mirrors that were both marked down over 90%), was less than the sectional we bought just two years ago and are re-gifting to our DS#3 to congratulate him on his great first two years of studying for his Master's Degree.  I had to take the front door off to get the "old" one out last night, but the new one came in without that inconvenience.   DW was saying Wow!   Wow!  Wow!  in a good way, so I think that although I was on the s-list over the weekend, I'm back in her good graces!

Well, gotta get ready to go get our granddaughter.   Woohoo!

BTY

Marathon Maniac #957

3.27 wet, cold miles in steady rain, 39 F.

Brr!

Leslie - hang in there...

BTY - 90% off - sweet!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dnaff

Leslie, take care of yourself.  That kind of burnout is a quick recipe for illness.

BTY, pretty cool that your daughter and granddaughter are in the same place.  I'm sure day one was much harder on your daughter than it was on Magdalena.  Babies and kids can be more resilient than we expect.

So, I rode 40 minutes on the bike trainer today.  It is not a fancy set up; just the cheap version that gets the back wheel off the ground.  I set my tablet up in front of me and watched a youtube of cycling.  I'm not getting any indication of speed or effort, just watching the Italian scenery go by.  With an experiment of one day, I'd have to say I enjoy it more than cycling outside.  There were no potholes or distracted drivers.  With a 10 day forecast of nasty weather looming I'm happy to have this.

evanflein

Dnaff, yep, that's one of the things I like about indoor cycling: no cars to deal with! And I believe it's contraindicated to read whilst riding a bike outside. Smile

Tammy, that would've totally freaked me out. Any idea what happened if not his heart? How is he (and how are you!) today? Scary stuff.

Smoked peach barbecue sauce. Hmmm. Do you make a huge batch and can it? I tried a mango barbecue sauce years ago that was good and I've always thought it'd be fun to have some on hand.

Hey Twocat, I made that roast potatoes recipe last night. It was very, very good. BUT, next time I make it I'm cutting it at least in half. Holy cow, 4 lbs of spuds makes a LOT. The smoky meatloaf was perfect with it and we sent ample amounts of both home with Riley and his parents. We'll have leftovers tonight for dinner, and I have a dinner's worth of meatloaf in the freezer.

Did all my PT stuff this morning, then rode my bike for 45 minutes or so. Feels good to get a full workout in. Looks like it's stopped snowing for a bit so might get out for a walk this afternoon since it's warmed up quite a bit (upper teens now). 15.1 miles done.

Tammy, I just wanted to say that I can't imagine how stressful the incident with your DH must have been! I hope you get to the bottom of the cause and get things back on track.

Will be going to a pub this afternoon to try to get a seat to watch the UW/Michigan game.

I'm sure you'll be cheering for Michigan, right? 

Karen, I finally visited our new local Tractor Supply a couple days ago and was very impressed by what they have there. There are a few things that I would have gone there for if I knew that they carried them (e.g. rope and cabling sold by the foot; nuts and bolts sold by the pound). It'll be interesting to see if they make a go of it since this is pure suburbia and the name of the store doesn't imply that they'd have what people might be looking for.

We've been watching the short Netflix series You Are What You Eat, which features a study they did with something like 20 sets of identical twins. They took all sort of data on them, then assigned one of each pair to a vegan diet and the other to one with more meat, cheese, etc. to see the effect after 8 weeks. They also underwent strength training and some other activities. Four of the sets are featured in the show and there are a number of other segments on nutrition (unfortunately I now know more about CAFOs than I wish I did!). Anyway, it's got us both thinking about our eating habits which are generally a lot better than most but still room for improvement.

I'm not sure that I got us off to that great of a start yesterday. I started off by fixing a big slow cooker batch of red cabbage and apples (very delicious) but then served it with pork schnitzel patties (German specialty from Aldi) that were of course pan-fried in cooking oil. Lima beans and salad helped restore the balance, maybe.

No formal workouts again today, but I got some more work done in the basement and then ran out for a shopping trip in anticipation of wintry weather tomorrow. It's hard to get these workouts in when I have other things to do. How did I ever manage to do so much when I was working full time?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"