Masters Running

Father's Day runs, the 19th of June (Read 656 times)

8.5 miles on CRIM course this morning after work ,no time, left watch home.  The eldest DS is out of town, Pepperdine and youngest worked today.  So we went DW's father's house this afternoon, then went to dinner at local Italian restraunt then back to bed and off to work.

Seeing this a father's day thread I like to share a story:

My father and I were never real close, growing-up when I was young, less than7, dad was in the Army and was in Korea for most of that time so we stayed with Grandma&Pa, in TN.  When he retired from Army,1966, we moved to MI.  He hired into GM and worked 2nd shift so he was not home alot.  I was always into sports and was big  for my age.  By the 5 th grade I was taller than mom and by the end of 6 th  Iwas bigger than my dad.  My dad was not very athletic and by 12 years old I threw to hard for my dad to play catch any more.  The one thing my dad could do with me was hunt. Not that my dad was a big hunter, but because I was interested he decided that he would take me.  My first day out I got a pheasant ,dad missed several that day.  The last weekend of the pheasant season dad and I went out we put a bird up I missed but dad shot and it fluttered a little and it flew aways then landed about a 100 yds away. We tried for awhile to find it and our dog finally rousted it again. It  flew about 50 yds this time we looked and looked for the pheasant finally after a hour our dog caught the pheasant. We looked at my dad's 1st pheasant and didn't find any injuries, put then we saw a small wound behind it's eye.  HE had hit the bird with 1 BB.  After I was grown and married my DW and I would go visit mom and dad, and every time we visited my dad would bring up the 1 bb behind the eye story.  My wife would say I think your dad is losing it he tells that story every time we visit, and I would laugh.  Dad died in 1997 in car crash on 12-2, 10 days before 71 st bday.  You know I sure wish I could hear him tell that story again!  The moral  to this story is that even though the memory is so important to me now, it was just  as important to my father while he was alive, that one moment we shared together.

SteveP

Happy 22 years PBJ. I think the 22nd  is the "Get the kids off their dead butts and have them get the house and yard in order so Mom and Dad can watch Batman movies" anniversary.

Leslie, the first week day after I sobered up, I joined a gym. It was cheaper than booze and there was someplace I could be during the day. When a person faces a life changing circumstance, the best thing to do is, change your life. It sounds like you have a healthy attitude and are on the right track.

Vibes to Enke!!

Wow Erika!!!

(((((Lamerunner)))))

Those darn kids spoil me. I've reminded them that it's enough that they are part of my life. Though they are now all adults, they still don't listen.

MTA: Our Church hosts a Father's Day dinner that serves nearly 500 people. In a town of less than 1,000, that's a lot. DW and I put in a shift and we saw her ex husband's  Aunt. She's in her late 70's and has been in assisted living for about a year. She always looks sharp for a person of any age. The Church is about 10 miles for the center she's at. DW asked who gave her a ride. Aunt Kathy didn't know. She checked herself out and thumbed a ride to the shindig. DW and I go kind of by there on the way to job #2. As our schedule is flexible, we gave her a ride back when she was ready to go. This woman is a hoot.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

it stayed dry and probably around 50. with a sweet tailwind the whole way. The breeze off Lake Superior was refreshing and the crowds in Duluth are amazing. Really really enjoyed this marathon,

Excellent!

Lamerunner - what a bummer! Glad DD is okay, though.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."