Masters Running

Thursday - 2/12 (Read 35 times)

Dave59

Happy Valentines Day Eve Eve...

3 miles on the treadmill at the gym for me. Never has one man sweat so much for so little....

Lower back and hips (especially my right hip) has been sore for a while.  It seems like a lot of work to run, like someone is holding me back, or I have a parachute tied on me.  Since work is driving me crazy I made an appointment with a crazy doctor this afternoon to see what he says.  I think he is part chiropractor, quack, and dietician.

I am supposed to run a half marathon on Sunday but I am still sore from the one I ran a few weeks ago so I decided to switch to the 10k.  Then I saw the forecast for Sunday morning is for -10° and I think maybe the 5k is calling my name.

Have an adequate, normal, ordinary day.

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave and everyone else!

Dave, it sounds like you need a good sports massage therapist for what ails you. It may also help (if you don't already have and use one) to get a foam roller to help keep your muscles looser. Meanwhile, good luck with the crazy doc this afternoon.

Aamos, I'd really like to head south for a bit for a respite. But I'd only have to come back and clear all the snow that will inevitably fall while I'm gone. So, thanks for the offer, but Spring will be here...sometime. I'm glad your body is (re)learning teamwork and patience.

Roch, I'm glad your run got you funkless. And I hope that carries over through today.

Leslie, I have a nephew who is a welder. Unfortunately, he's in an area where there is little demand for his skill and he doesn't want to move. You are right and he is missing out on some terrific opportunities; another example of the choices we make.Nice job of getting pumped from your workout yesterday!

CNY, I'll never tire of your stories about your family. They have endured so much, and accomplished so much. Nice 10-miler for you yesterday.

Aamos, Truck Day here is in late Spring when there is, of all things, a tow truck festival at Hampton Beach. Sunday morning of that weekend always begins with a long, long parade of tow truck going up the ocean road for a couple of miles, flashing lights and blowing horns. What a hoot!

Twocat, I'm glad your foot is OK. My typical salad doesn't have kale (not a big fan), but I'll throw everything else in it: mixed lettuces, squash, zucchini, cuke, red pepper, celery, carrots, turnips, tomatoes, gorganzola, pine nuts, dried orange-flavored cranberries, avocado, and whatever dressing is at the ready.

I saw this morning that the Idatirod sled dog race course has to be changed this year because of the lack of snow. I also saw that we may get another 12" or more this Saturday/Sunday.

I got my wish this morning, and had dry pavement, for the most part, for a change. So I took advantage of it and had a good tempo workout - tiring, but very satisfying. 6.6 RW miles in 10F temps, and under a bright half moon (until the clouds moved in and all but obscured it).

Keep smiling, and have a greta day (or follow Dave's suggestion...)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I saw this morning that the Idatirod sled dog race course has to be changed this year because of the lack of snow. I also saw that we may get another 12" or more this Saturday/Sunday.

Would this be what you call "ironic"?

The pavement may be dry around us, but anything resembling shoulders and space to run is non-existent.  So I matched Dave with three miles on the TM.  The three mile lake lap never feels that hard.  On a positive note--I finally managed to get my MP3 charged and had music the whole way. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Good morning friends.

Dave, good luck with the 5k.

Jay, delighted to see you are joining Rosie Ruiz team again this year.  Anyone else?

Tetsujin, got your care package from Japan.  Thanks. Love the 100 joyful marathon shirt.

No running for me this morning, but I did run 6 miles plus core workout ladt night.

Cheers

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Another treadmill runner here.

Not a fan of treadmill running at all...but the Boot Camp class that takes place there keeps me entertained.

Pound Patrol here at work. We had our first weigh in on Tuesday. I was down 6.2lbs. I figure I can lose about 10lbs, give or take, and stay at a reasonable BMI.

Sayhey! MM#130

'morning' all,

Favorite quotes of late:

Kevin's "Would this be what you call ironic?"  above, and from yesterday, Steve's: "I've suggested that he hire an adult, regardless of their age."

Got your pithy going on today, my friends.

Yummy salad talk.  I usually just sprinkle some fruity balsamic vinegar (pomegranate is good) on my kale in the bowl, wait a bit and toss in the rest of the stuff.   The "wait" is when I'm making lunch for the next day, setting up the coffee and breakfast for the am, etc.   Maybe I'll get more attentive on a weekend.

Hey DAve, I have a little back thingy, on the right side (that's NOT the side of the bum ankle),  right around where the waistband of a pair of hiphuggers would be, but on the back, not the side.   I can feel it a little when I start out and I can massage it a bit.  Let me know if your doc helps you at all.  Anyone else know what that spot it?

See, Slo loses 6.2 in the first week.  Men have no idea how hard it is for wimmins to lose weight.  (good job)

We're having electricity issues.  Blamed the AC guy for it, perhaps erroneously, but he was there and right after, things started acting oddly (limited microwave power, blinking lights--all very Friday the 13th-ish).  The AC company was a mistake we made when we first got here, so it's a good time to replace them anyway.  Hope the electrician is a keeper.  He has the BBB ok AND he's from New Bedford/Fall River so I'm optimistic.  And he's Anthony, and I like that.

I am so lazy!  Just 3 again this am.  And I have no ice/snow excuse.   (was below 50 here.  Just the facts.)  Of course, now I can go see the Speedsters tonight.  Still not running with them the whole route, phasing in a little at a time.

happy Thursdays!

Anticipation and all that, and grins,

A

ps honk honk!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We're having electricity issues.  Blamed the AC guy for it, perhaps erroneously, but he was there and right after, things started acting oddly (limited microwave power, blinking lights--all very Friday the 13th-ish).  The AC company was a mistake we made when we first got here, so it's a good time to replace them anyway.  Hope the electrician is a keeper.  He has the BBB ok AND he's from New Bedford/Fall River so I'm optimistic.  And he's Anthony, and I like that.

Hope your electrician comes and finds something quickly.  That sounds like you might be missing a neutral or at least a very unbalanced load.  neither of which are very healthy for electronics.  I might suggest unplugging sensitive items.  good luck.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I, too, liked Steve's comment of hiring an adult, regardless of age.  The older we get, the less we're seen as an essential part of the workforce, and that makes absolutely no sense to me.  The other thing that makes no sense to me is employers are quick to dismiss the resume of someone who hasn't been working for more than a year.  Do they see it as lack of motivation?  Or can't they see that perhaps you've been looking for a job and there hasn't been anything, especially in this economy.  Dunno.  But my niece, who works in HR, has confirmed this, as well as a friend who does the hiring for her office.

The other thing my niece pointed out is that you shouldn't up on your resume the years you worked at specific jobs.  HR/employers look at that, do the quick math to determine how old a person might be, and will dismiss the resume if he or she seems "too old" for the position.  My brother/her father, who is 51, is having a hard time finding work, and she specifically told him to take off his resume anything that could point to how hold he is.  Reverse discrimination, but how do you prove it?  Again - dunno.

8 miles this a.m. with 3 miles of tempo for Miles 3 thru 5.  After yesterday's hard bike workout - ugh!  My legs are officially toast.  Despite that, I could feel that for once I was keeping a nice even pace for the tempo miles and it didn't feel too bad.  I usually push the first mile too hard and crap out at the end.

Tomorrow - thankfully, it's just core/ST and the legs will get a nice rest.

Okay - I need to get some work done.  . . . although the closer it gets to me leaving on vacation next week the harder it is to work.  One of the places I'm looking forward to going to is Donkey Balls in  Kona. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave, what race are you doing? I had a friend who was thinking of going up to Boyne to ski this weekend -- until he saw the Sunday forecast for -15F (and that's not wind chill!).

Jay, you're late getting in here again.

Aamos, those are the kind of power problems that can fry computers and other electronics -- be careful! Or it may serve you right for presenting unwanted facts about your weather conditions. :-)

Leslie, nice 8-miler.

Sure am glad I ran yesterday, because today there's a ferocious sub-zero wind-chill going on and the mercury's headed in that direction as well. It was chilling enough just to walk from my car into the rec center to use the pool. I had a good workout of 1150 yards and know the distance exactly due to trying out the pool swim features of my new watch. What's even cooler is that it can somehow detect the specific stroke and showed my cool-down at the end where I always take off my goggles and do a couple of lengths in a lazy backstroke vs the freestyle stroke for the rest of the session.

Hope the rest of you can get outdoors for a run today, but if not there's always something you can do inside!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Nice 10 miles, CNY.

This morning, the temperature was in the single digits and it was windy (I'm approximately half way between roch and Dave).  I got in 6 miles on the TM at an average pace of 10:38.  I started at 5.4 mph and after each mile, I'd bump it up .2 mph for a minute then back down .1 mph for a .1 mph gain each mile.  The only exception was the last mile where I kept the .2 mph bump until the end.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I have a late work day today.  I am due in New York City at 4:45 for a workshop, meaning listening to a paper and commenting on it.  That plus fighting with the law professors about the issues being raised.  Of course, I am right!    It will be fun in its own way.

A clipper system blew through CT today and dropped some more snow.  What it will really drop is the temperature!  After today we will be lucky to see 20º until next week!     I figured it was today or never to get in my 20 mile run this week.  The idea of doing 20 miles either on the TM or in temperatures in the low teens is totally out of the question.  Fortunately, I had my zombies for the run along with a ghost to help me up the final big hill (at mile 18 of all the darned inconvenient places!).

Pandora plans to sell their listener's interests to political organizations seeking to use the data to target possible supporters.  On the way out to mile 11 I listened to a station called Pop and Hip-Hop Power Workout Radio and from mile 11 to 20 Country Fitness Radio.  It will be interesting to see who writes to me during the next election cycle!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mustang sally

Bad faerie

My favorite sports medicine guy ever is licensed as a chiropractor but I think he's actually a witch doctor.  He creates amazing improvement out of the smallest adjustments.  He also knows his limits and does not hesitate to refer away a problem he can't help.  I really miss him.

Not much news but to agree with others that temperatures in the Great Lakes basin are plummeting.  But oh, the sunshine!  I was so happy walking about in bright shining light on my way to the pool (where I swam 2000y, a really fine workout).  Now, of course, I am sitting in a dank basement work-space, but that's life in IT.

Coach has 3h of cycling scheduled for Sunday, when temps are supposed to barely break 0F.  I don't know how I'll do it on the trainer and keep my marbles... maybe it will be worth it to go out bundled up in the relatively mild (mid-teens) temperatures predicted for Saturday.

Sayhey! MM#130

OK, here's some humour at my expense (y'all are worth it).....

who knew there is something called the main breaker switch that lives OUTSIDE the home?

I had of course checked the breaker box inside.........

so all safe and sound, and wanted to thank y'all for your help, concern and advice.

most appreciatively,

A

Everyone set for tomorrow?  Put away the ladders and all.....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I am in a stupid eating funk -- don't know what's wrong with me!!  I just keep eating even tho I'm not hungry -- junk junk junk!!  It needs to stop!!

Spin class this morning followed by 2.2 on the treadmill -- did 2.2 yesterday as well after a yoga class.  Heel is feeling better -- ice it after my workouts (some of the time).  Had my left foot - last 2 little toes - caught in a door the other day as an employee pushed to open the door I was pulling to open from the other side at the Apple Store.  Can you say OUCHIE!!  Poor little toe is all purple but I can bend it and still able to run on it ok.

Trying to embrace this snowy weather but I really just want to cry uncle!!

Happy THursday all!!

denise

Had my left foot - last 2 little toes - caught in a door the other day as an employee pushed to open the door I was pulling to open from the other side at the Apple Store.  Can you say OUCHIE!!  Poor little toe is all purple but I can bend it and still able to run on it ok.

Denise, that sounds like an injury that's at least worth a free iPhone! And it doesn't sound like you're in an eating funk but rather an eating frenzy! Hard to curb at this time of year, and don't ask me how I know.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"