Masters Running

FRIDAY, Sept. 19 runs and such (Read 437 times)

Stuck at home waiting for the DHL truck. Important documents arriving which will allow me to escape the country....which I just might have to do seeing as what a $hitdisturber I am. Sending Byll a big cyber hug, so glad you are back. planning on sucking it up for the bike and stairmill today, maybe even the pool. But my evil side is saying, gee your foot is feeling a lot better today...maybe a little run??? And the good side is saying....haven't you learned anything from the wise people here? Just give it more time, idiot! Tim - I was wondering if you could summarize the difference between the two types shoes you were wearing, and how you think it affected your gait, or fixed your sore heel. I am very curious.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

enkie you are so very funny Wink. Be patient there sister. It is hard being a runnaholic and not being able to satiate our craving, isn't it? Trying to abstain from any political, financial or sports comments because I want to be in SR’s good list. I took the foot for a 2 miles test run this morning. No indication of soreness, so I guess resting it for three days paid off. On to taper training mode.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Yes Mariposai, unlike yesterday's post when you tried to fix up Tammy and Johnny again. Forgot to post today's workout: 4 unbearably slow miles on a gorgeous day. Spareribs
          Hello inmates in this asylumn. Youse guys always make me laugh. Ran 5 sunny beachy miles yesterday. I am still on island time after being on Maui for a week. That half marathon was a blast! Ice sponges are just grand.
          mustang sally

Bad faerie

Quoth Econo: "It's the yoga-chatter that puts me to sleep" I saw that. Now get your weight over the entire base of your hands, open the hamstrings, and press the chest deeply down through your shoulders. And breathe, woman. Breathe. Mustang Lurker
            Dave59

13 miles today. 12.5 were tough but ok. Last .5 I had to walk as I started feeling sick with a headache and queezy stomach. It's taken an hour and a half now to start to feel like I may survive.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim - I was wondering if you could summarize the difference between the two types shoes you were wearing, and how you think it affected your gait, or fixed your sore heel. I am very curious.
                Bare with me on my simplistic answer, that was given to me from someone more knowledgeable than me, with technical jargon. My old Nike Triax 11 shoes were supposed to correct an over pronation problem I had, which is basically more support to not let my foot roll inward....more arch support. My new shoes Nike Pegasus 25, are a neutral shoe without any of the support as my old shoes. How it was explained to me is: over pronation is actually a form of shock absorption for the legs - knees - and ankles and feet. With my old shoes I lost this shock absorption because of how the support was not allowing my arches to fall during my landing. And this was also messing with my gait because as I was trying to run mid foot , but these shoes were throwing me back onto my heels. That's why I kept saying my gait felt funky...I was trying to run mid foot, but was landing more on my heel and that is what was causing my pain....I was all over the place with my feet and gait, and kept trying to correct it on my own. My new shoes allows my foot to pronate and is allowing for better shock absorption to my Achilles and legs, than my old shoes....my pain to my heel was Achilles related by the way. I was told a few years back that I did indeed over pronate, but my shoe guy last Sat said I absolutely did not at all. He actually said I have a great natural running gait, that is as neutral as he has seen. Like I said before, I was in lot more pain than I let on, and the only thing I changed was my shoes. This has been going on for months, and the pain had made it's way to my other heel also. Last Sat during my wave run I was hurting so bad I could hardly take it. Then Sun I ran with my new shoes with heel lifts and felt better. Then Mon night I felt almost no pain, then Weds I took my heel lifts out and had a awesome / pain free long run with fast speed work on the track.....it had to be the shoes. (I remember a while back Ribs telling me, "Tim, it's not the shoes"... he's not as bright as people think Big grin) Just kidding Ribs, because I realized you thought I was tired and just going through a injury. Sorry if this is sloppy or hard to understand...I typed this quickly at work on my lunch break. Any more questions enkephalin, just ask away... because I would love to help others if I could. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

13 miles today. 12.5 were tough but ok. Last .5 I had to walk as I started feeling sick with a headache and queezy stomach. It's taken an hour and a half now to start to feel like I may survive.
                  Oh, Oh . . . were you hydrating yourself? Theresa - you are going to do great! I'm excited for you!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Mary! I appreciate the encouragement.
                      afternoon crazy masters folks!! Wink so no run for me today -- i'm joining the slugfest in the hottub!! my back is really acting up again - so frustrating!! it's not quite as stiff as yesterday, but the pain goes down to my butt today so i think i'm going to just do my abs and PT stretches........have to work tonight so don't want to be limping down the halls. deb - hope you're feeling better soon!! to all our weekend racers -- have a wonderful time!! enjoy your races!!

denise

Thanks Tim, your post was very clear! It is amazing your heel problem fixed itself so quickly. I was contemplating switching to a neutral shoe, from stability...but after hurting my foot I realize I really need that extra stability on the left foot.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks Everyone! I'll be sure to post a picture of me after the race. Hopefully I will be the " Not Dead" one with the sexy pink compression wrap on my cranky calf... Tongue

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

That half marathon was a blast!
                            inquiring minds wanna know . . . . <>RR/RR)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Now get your weight over the entire base of your hands, open the hamstrings, and press the chest deeply down through your shoulders. And breathe, woman. Breathe.
                              Ribs! Where's the bouncer? Who's watching the door? Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Tim, your post was very clear! It is amazing your heel problem fixed itself so quickly. I was contemplating switching to a neutral shoe, from stability...but after hurting my foot I realize I really need that extra stability on the left foot.
                                FYI, I thought all along I needed more support, not less...I was wrong. Heck, I was thinking I needed Brooks Beasts, or some really bad ass heavy 10 pound structure shoe. Just food for thought Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!