Masters Running

Wed Nov 12 Runs and Workouts (Read 521 times)

Aamos, that is such a great news about your DH. Please let him know that we are his cheerleaders Cool
    He is so looking forward to meeting so many of you in June!
    Masters 2000 miles
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Aamos, thanks for the update on your husband! I'm glad he's doing well. I'm SUPPOSED to be packing, ha, but I had to post my mileage. 7 miles this morning, at 11:08 pace. Now a 7-mile run feels like a 5-mile one used to! DH can't believe that it's so bread-and-butter for me now. We're off to the Boston airport tomorrow at noon. DD is flying to London with my parents on American, and I'm going British Air (had to do with frequent flier tickets). A whole 6+ hours to myself! That may be my favorite part of the entire trip! Our next flight to Johannesburg will be together. Hoping to get one more run in tomorrow morning, since I'm at only 20.5 miles for the week now. I would love to get 30 miles in for a third week in a row! You guys are such a bad influence on me... Wink

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Have fun Teresa! We all look forward to your reports .... and pictures!!! Greta job on the 30 mile weeks too! Great news about your DH Amy!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

7.5 miles in steady rain, I stopped because I really had to go to work. Am I the only one out here who loves running in the rain..? Have a good day everyone! Francesca
          Mariposai

Am I the only one out here who loves running in the rain..? Francesca
            no... we are two...I also love running in the rain.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Wow, Amy, so soon? Guess he is really, a healthy guy. I'm paraphrasing from something I read on the internet " the pain associated with low back strains can sometimes be very intense. This is a good thing, as the pain acts as a "brace" or "splint" to prevent the spine from moving into vunerable positions." Now isn't that a clever way to spin the patient's pain into something good? My "pain splint" is still attached. I wonder when I get to remove it. Doctor's appointment isn't until Friday, so I really have nothing to say. After the first two days of this strain, I stopped taking anti-inflammatories. That was a mistake. Yesterday was no fun but today I'm doing better. On the bright side, the weather has been dreadful here. Rain, wind, floods. On the bright side, I read two books this week. Holly - she sounds so similar... I had an interesting parent teacher meeting for my DD recently. I told the teacher I didn't know if DD could read much more than the simpliest words, like K level (she is in Grade 1). I said she refuses to read the take-home books to me, won't even try one word. Teacher said, wow, interesting, yes she can read, she is a pretty good reader (meaning average for her grade), sometimes even helps the other kids. We were both stunned. I guess my defiant little DD knows who she can manipulate.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Amy wrote:
                when I ran Okoboji this year, it started raining midway through and it really saved us. I've run it before, and it's always hot, but the rain just cooled things down so it was the most enjoyable oen there I've had, even tho I had to take off my glasses and run sort of blind.
                Did you get lost this year? Does Pedey rhyme with Petey? Keep that arm down. No saluting.

Am I the only one out here who loves running in the rain..? Francesca
                  I love running in the rain, unless it's a torrential downpour. I find that to be a tad unpleasant. Smile

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - she sounds so similar...
                    We must be very careful never to let these two meet. Wondertwin powers - activate! They could do untold damage if they decided to join forces.... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Am I the only one out here who loves running in the rain..?
                      me too coming from a cooler rainy coastal climate, I love doing anything in the rain, especially when it's a nice warm rain in the fifties like now and not down in the low forties and thirties and worse like some of the winter events.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Am I the only one out here who loves running in the rain..?
                        Since my schedule is flexible, I almost always avoid running in the rain. As a result, I have little experience doing so. However, it doesn't take much rain to learn that it's annoying to have all those water droplets on my glasses (which I have to keep on so I don't run into a phone pole or something Tongue ). I also learned that wearing a hat makes no difference. Hypothetically speaking...if I were to, say, run a marathon in the rain in the mid-50s...would you suggest doing anything different in terms of clothes or anything? I usually wear double-layered Wright socks for long runs but would these get water-logged and heavy in the rain? What about Ipod Shuffle which, now that I have one, I might bring to a hypothetical marathon. I'm thinking putting the unit in little plastic bag and clipping it to my waistband underneath my shirt should take care of it, right? This is all hypothetical, of course. Big grin ETA: I miss Thunderbolter.

Be safe. Be kind.

How about one of those little hats with the umbrella attached on top? Seriously, I would still wear a hat. Use extra vaseline on your feet. I would for sure wear a pair of injinji socks--they have toes, sort of like gloves for your feet (if you think of regular socks as mittens). The best advice is run with someone to run with who doesn't mind that the plastic runner's rain cape you are wearing that makes you sound like a very crinkly and noisey running loaf of bread as you slog along. If that person knows the course and is kind enough to steer you around it because you can't see/are directionally challenged, you are a very lucky person. Having been so blessed once in my life, I now have the good graces to respond with good humour to my good friend who did all that and more for me in Abilene some whiles ago that "No, I did not get lost this year in Okoboji!" Big grin grins, A ps: Pedey is short for Pedroia, the Sox 2nd baseman.
                          Masters 2000 miles
                            We must be very careful never to let these two meet. Wondertwin powers - activate! They could do untold damage if they decided to join forces.... Big grin
                            Again, ladies, think screenplay! Have them meet in your story and let the special effects begin! TIm Burton to direct, maybe?
                            Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Tramps, a little tip that Steve gave me about protecting I Pods and such from sweat and rain....plastic wrap. It has worked well for me .....well hypothetically speaking of course Wink Yeah, wearing glasses in the rain is a pain in the rear, and sweating too... especially sweating a lot like I do. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hey Tramps, a little tip that Steve gave me about protecting I Pods and such from sweat and rain....plastic wrap. It has worked well for me .....well hypothetically speaking of course Wink
                                I use plastic wrap, too. You might be able to wrap it so any opening is on the bottom (depending on where the earphone plugs in). Just don't use that sticky glad plastic wrap, I forget what it's called. It was pretty hard to get the adhesive off the unit afterwards. But do you really want to use an ipod during the race? I run all my training runs with an mp3 player but I haven't yet raced with one. But that's just me...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com