Masters Running

Tuesday 12-6 Runs and other stuff (Read 720 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

streak: day 6

Enke, when you're streaking, do you still tie your jacket around your waist?

OK, back to doing my laundry....

evanflein

Actually... turns out they're still finalizing results and will be doing so for awhile yet. I've dropped to 5th in my AG, but I'm still very happy with that result!

Gonna miss those puppies...

...YAY enke//...........Nice Braggin'

eta

[[[[[[twocat]]]]]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

just let me know where you want me to be and what you want me to do.

...swoon...

I love it when a man says this...

Smile

Mariposai - smokin' run!

Erika - great job!

4 miles this morning in 35 degrees, including 5 x 1/3 mile hill repeats running around my block and the neighboring streets.  Then I stopped home to wake DD just in time for a phone call from DS, asking me to bring his homework to the high school, so that took up my extra running time..oh well, it's always something....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'd brag, too, Enke!  Very nice!

Carolyn - Everyone has the opportunity to attend general ed classes that are offered 3x a week (for every 10 hours of attendance in a specific class, an inmate gets 1 day off his/her sentence), and everyone can take these tests, as well.  The whole test thing is new.  It doesn't sound like they have to get a specific passing grade, and I'm not clear as to why they're being given, unless some kind of grant money is coming in for doing so.  I don't think it's been specified to the inmates either, or I just haven't asked the right questions (more than likely that's the problem Blush). 

So far he's taken an English and a couple of math tests, and is now taking a history test.  Shorty's done some really stupid things (stating the obvious), but he's actually a very intelligent person.  He says the tests have been a challenge, but he's enjoyed them.  One of the math tests took him about 4-5 hours because of its length.

The jail is filled to capacity about 90-95% of the time because they've stopped sending the parole-violators back to San Quentin unless they've committed an egregious act.  People are getting released 2 to 3 days early because of the max capacity, and I think this may be another way to justify letting people out even earlier when room is needed.

This whole ordeal has been interesting and highly educational, to say the least.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

an amazing likeness

Milktruck. Is your profile picture from the Portland Marathon this year?  It looks very familiar. We were there.

Yes, from the Oct 2011 Maine Marathon / Half Marathon. Wet 'n cold 'n windy. Yuck. But the bib on sideways is special.

...we now return you to your regular daily chat without interlopers.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mike E

MM #5615

Tell us what you saw on your run today?  If it was on the TM or it was dark, you'll have to be creative...

I got home late, tonight.  I went out with "the guys" to happy hour.   We, of course, sat around and complained about the raw deal we were getting.  We talked about how things used to be when things were good and how far we've fallen.  Believe me--it was not a happy hour.  By the time I left, I was feeling like, "Why do I work so dang hard to do anything I do?  What sense does it make when everything can be taken away so easily."  Well, I got home and remembered that I had said that I was going to run, tonight, so I could "tell what I saw on my run today".  I was not too happy with that dang wildchild for goading me into running, tonight.  I ran ten dang mile last night--I only run every-other day!  Why am I even thinking about running?  Since it was about 7:00, and I wanted to watch The Biggest Loser because they were running a marathon on tonight's show and I figured I could tell you all about how inspiring these people are to have come so far in their quest to lose weight and lead a healthy life. 

I have two TVs in my workout room/office/get away from DW room--one placed in front of my stationary bike and the other in front of my treadmill.  I turned on the one in front of the bike to watch while I did my little warm-up thing that I do before I run and found that I wasn't getting a picture!  Well that ticked me off.  Comcast has been having issues in our area, and it was really ticking me off.  The TV in front of my treadmill isn't hooked up to cable so I turned that one on, since I would be watching it during my run, anyway, I guess it wasn't a big deal.  I started the treadmill--set it at a nice easy pace--and start my dang run. 

What?!  Michael Buble?!  What the heck is going on?  No way am I going to watch that crap.  They have changed The Biggest Loser to 8:00!  I turn the station and nothing is on.  I decide to watch Glee and see why everybody seems to think that show is so great.  Ugh!  It's a bunch of singing crap!  This is not what I wanted to be doing!  Dang that wildchild!

Well, I left that stupid Glee show on and I started looking at the other sites around my room...here--let me show you...hold on--don't go away...okay here you go...this is what I saw...

I have no idea what's in those Asics boxes but I know they used to have running shoes in them and they represent about 3200 miles of running.  I started looking at the soccer pictures, there, and started thinking about, not only those kids and my grandkids in those particular pictures, but of all the kids I have coached over the last 25+ years.  And then I looked at that white "thing" on the top shelf, right in front of me.  Madi, my granddaughter, made that just for me.  I rememberd how my daughter told me how little Madi wanted to make something for me and her dad gave her those pieces of wood and she put them together and painted them for me.  I can still see the smile on her face as she watched me unwrap it in front of her and proud she was of it.  All of a sudden, I realized that I didn't have it so bad.

So--that's what I saw, today, on my little 4 mile run.

Thanks Carolyn!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sounds like a GREAT run Mike!  Well done!

wildchild

Carolyn

Thank YOU, Mike!  Smile  Thanks for the smiles you bring to all of us.  Hope we can do the same for you.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Love your run, MikeEy!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."