Masters Running

40s 50s 60s On the Run - w/e 08/28 (Read 400 times)

“There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all.”

If anybody has an extra lung, I'll take it.  I've hacked up both of mine so far.  The Humboldt Crud.  Yes, that's the official medical term.  The doc even calls it The Humboldt Crub.  I'm going to see her today to at least get some cough  medicine as it's killing my asthma.

Hope you all are healthy.  Have a great week -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

you can use both of mine for awhile.  Apparently, I have no need for them. 

But don't get to attached.....I've got plans for them.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hey folks,

Hope you're feeling better Leslie. Get that crud outta there soon.

Hey Ev, how come you're not running?

Nice 16er for a long run last night. Temps are down and there's a hint of fall in the air. Must be coming up on marathon season.

C ya's

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Humboldt crud, heh....but ugh, I hate those colds that turn into a wicked cough. I used to get violent coughs, what has worked for me is a sudafed first thing in the am and a benadryl before bed. That benadryl knocks me out and I wake up a little "hungover" from it, but it sure beats sit up all night with extended bouts of coughing. Sometimes I add an expectorant at night. Good luck.

Ev - what up? Taking a break?

Joe - sounds like you've got things under control, seems like you're very relaxed and just having fun!

Getting some good miles in myself, finally starting to feel like a runner after some off weeks in July due to backpacking/travel/summer cold. Did and easy recovery run last night and ended up flying along (well, for me it was flying) - nice!

Later...

Ex runner

Ev, I'll have those lungs back to you in about a week -

Bronchitis and a sinus infection.  I feel like someone ran over me, backed up, and went at me again.  SIL/BIL coming in for an overnight stay.  Told 'em they may need hazardous suits. Dead

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Ev, how come you're not running?

Let's just say I'll be back to it soon!

Yeh, Les, they're yours for about a week.  Then I'll have some good use for them. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Kind of a shakey day for us right coast folks. I was parked and listening to the sports radio in my car following lunch when I felt the car shaking. First I looked at the trees, wasn't that windy. Then I thought maybe one of my co-workers snuck up and were effing with me. Nope. First EQ I ever felt. My DD was with a freind from Italy inside the Empire State Building. Sheesh. I picked a good day to stay closer to home.

Nice 8er tonight. 2 with Buddy. 2 easy, 2 at 7:40, 2 easy.

Glad you and yours are OK, Joe.  I hate earthquakes.  They scare the crap out of me, regardless of how short or long.  The last one we had (less than a year go??) really made a mess around here.

Still home sick.  My ribs and ab muscles are sore and exhausted from coughing.  Great core workout, though!  SIL/BIL left this morning, which did not make me sad.  Love them both and I absolutely adore my SIL, but it took way too much energy to even just sit and talk.  Took her to see Shorty last night, and although it was weird for her, it wasn't as traumatic as she thought it would be, and they had a good 1/2 hour talk.  I think they're both looking forward to sitting down together in a few months and really getting to talk to one another for the first time in a very long time, if ever.  I see a number of good things coming out of this mess. Smile

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Over 30 mpw last week with a 10k @ the Chase CO Fair on Saturday. I didn't really want to race it as I was afraid of injury and had not done any speedwork. I asked Jonathan the organizer if it was ok to run without racing it, and he told run because I could. So I started slow about 10 mm then ran every mile a little faster cept one as I saw one exceptionally dry corn field that needed water (too much coffee). I ran 56 and change for a less than race effort and could walk normally that nite so a success. Overall winner ran a 42 and was from my over 50 age group, I think he is actually over 55, I think second overall was also from the 50+ group.

Tearing out some old buidings and fences on the farm now and getting ready to seed wheat.  More later, better get moving.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

So I started slow about 10 mm then ran every mile a little faster cept one as I saw one exceptionally dry corn field that needed water (too much coffee).

OK, when I first read this I really thought you had stopped to fix some sort of irrigation equipment mid-race.  Just didn't realize it was THAT kind of irrigation equipment.  Too funny!!  And a very nice "not race" race for you!

Joe, glad that you survived the shake, rattle and roll!  No way would you have thought earthquake.  I'm not a "the end of the world is coming" kinda gal, but all this weirdness does make one wonder sometimes.  Looks like you are in a nice, but relaxed groove on your running.

Ev, you got heat wave up there?  We're still pretty steamy down here.

Arla, I love your summer adventures!  I suspect the break sets you up well to have more of those floaty runs come fall.

Leslie, hope you are kicking that crud to the curb along with the inlaws.  So glad to hear that there is new growth coming from this horrible experience.

Trusting Cindy is off on some crazy adventure or chasing grandkids or all of the above!

Tri training continues for me....and it seems that my first OLY distance race on 9/5 has a hilly bike course.  Oh joy (not), considering biking is my weakest link.  But goal for this one is to survive, and have a better idea on things going into the next one on 10/2.  I've also signed up for my very first "away" half mary.  Carlsbad, CA on 1/22/12.  I'm hooking up with a group from insulINdependence (www.insulindependence.org) and really looking forward to it.  Job ended a couple weeks ago, and I'm not going to look for anything for now pending the FIL's situation (may need to prep his house for sale).  So I have more time to play, and am going to wring all I can out of it! 

Progress Trumps Pefection

Carol - Enjoy your play time, and good luck with your upcoming races.

Jim - Yeah, at first I thought the same thing Carol did.  Heh heh.

Still trying to beat this crappola.  Has totally kicked my butt.  I was exhausted after my shower.  Where does all the snot and mucus come from?!?!?  Good grief!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Yea Carol can come out to play! Way to get it done Carol. Still bearing the heat as well.

Jim- I too thought that you had decided to put something in order during your race. Orderliness must be your MO.

Keep on purging Leslie.

Rainy 5.5er today on my hilly course during lunch. High-tailed it down south to batten down the hatches on the sailboat for the forecasted hurricane coming Saturday night. Likely the coast towns will be under mandatory evacuation tomorrow, so it had to be done tonight or else. Sails and dodger and any canvas comes off. Spinnaker pole,anchors, all put below. Halyards wrapped tight. Batteries charged and bilge pump tested. Shore power disconnected. Double bow and stern lines and add more spring lines. Keep our fingers crossed, remember how wise it was to have gotten insurance on the boat, and see what happens. Unfortunately, although most sailors tie everything tight with a big storm coming, in a marina with many boats, it only takes one that's free to wreak some havoc. Anyway, they're calling it a 100 year storm with the east side of the hurricane ( strongest winds) to pass right over us. Hopefully, like many times before, all the preperation will be for nothing and the thing will turn out to sea.

Earthquake and hurricane in one week? Yikes.

Joe - Am keeping you and everyone else on the East Coast in my prayers.  Stay as safe as possible, friend.

Still down for the count, although I'm getting better.  It's been a long time since I've been taken out this bad by an illness.  I had thoughts of going for an easy walk around the block, but I'm not so sure I'd make it at this point.  I do plan to attend my Al-Anon meeting, so we'll see how I hold up from that.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I got more exercise today than I have in over a week: shoveled 7 mole hills, then mowed the front and back yards, washed my car, and vacuumed.  Then it was off to the movies with Karen, a quick Mexi dinner afterward, and now I'm totally pooped.  I must say, I blew some absolutely amazing snot rockets while mowing and washing!  I have runny nose issues anyway, but with this sinus infection - dang!  heh heh heh - - TMI??  Big grin

We went and saw "The Help."  Really great movie.  Highly recommend it.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance