Masters Running

Two's-Day Nov. 25th Runs and Rests (Read 794 times)

#artbydmcbride

It is amazing the human body, the way it differs in its response to training stimulus in various people. Even at the level where it gets injured differs from person to person, but gaining or losing weight is exactly equally easy for everyone, isn't that right Dark Horse? Big grin

Runners run

JustAl

Just want to point out, I never denied this. Hormonal imbalances, metabolism, heredity, laziness, TV-watching habits, trick knees, addiction to Snickers bars, etc., etc., are among the million and one factors that impede ability to successfully lose weight. However, they are all just excuses. The fact remains, everyone can lose weight by eating fewer calories. Dark Horse
      Wow. I have never known anyone who knew everyone.
        Early run, late post as we left for the day soon after my run. As I read the dailies, I am amazed at the cross training that some of you do. Mariposai and PDR, I'm continuing to send good vibes your way as you deal with sad situations with parents. Sarge, nice half on Sunday in spite of the hip pain. Also, congrats to your wife on her being 2nd in the 5K. stumpy, congrats on your longest run since January. lame, congrats to you and your XC girls on being second in the regionals and heading for nationals. nono, good luck on beating your knee pain soon. Nice long runs for perch, mariposai, enke, and Peter. Good job on the speedwork for WRFB, Holly, and fatozzig (on hills). This morning, it had snowed several inches, there was a wind, I needed to get done quickly so we could leave for the day, and I was feeling wimpy. Therefore, I headed to the basement and did the TM while watching the local news and the Today show. I set the infernal machine to 1% and 6.2 mph (9:40/mi) and slogged through 10 miles. It sure got hard before I quit but it's done. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          I don't have any more to say on the topic of the day. If you don't like the way I deliver the message, let me refer you to Lou's less controversial formulation. 7 miles on the treadmill at 8:01 mile pace. Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
          TammyinGP

wow tselbs - way to multi-task with that long run and mental fortitude workout today!

Tammy

dg.

eatin' popcorn watchin' the fun Cool
              xor

Funny thing about the popcorn smiley. I've been staring at him for years. He unflinchingly keeps going after that next handful of popcorn. No matter how long I watch him. You'd think he'd be porkier. And if that popcorn is buttered with that awesome fake oil butter stuff, he's probably got other issues. My mother has (ok, had) a wooden leg with a kickstand.

#artbydmcbride

Dark Horse, you are right, as is Lou, that more exercise and less food is the only way to control weight. But I don't believe it works in the same ratio for everyone. Only folks who have been skinny all their lives seem to cling to that and feel morally superior to anyone heavier than them. If we all had the same metabolism then what about genetics, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and just plain old differences? They aren't excuses. My sister is heavy, and when she cuts back on calories, her body very efficiently cuts back on energy usage. Some folks need to struggle much harder than you to get and stay thin. Believe it or don't. I don't believe you can't run more than 20 miles a week without getting injured. Big grin

Runners run

Donnie says vacuum!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    JustAl

Ileneforward, Thank you for your thoughtful answer. You have a keen way of showing without telling. A very long time ago, an oncology patient of mine was taking in very few calories and not losing weight. In fact, she gained weight. But that was because she was third-spacing fluid and excreting nothing. Then again, she wasn't running either. I guess that would be what is called an outlier, or maybe just a poor example.
                        Dark Horse, you are right, as is Lou, that more exercise and less food is the only way to control weight. But I don't believe it works in the same ratio for everyone.
                        You are correct, Ma'am. I do not believe anyone here has argued this point. Aging, with its typical slowing of the metabolism, is a particularly significant factor. At age 20 I could eat a gallon of ice cream a day and not gain weight. Now ... well, I think I can gain a pound by looking at a gallon of ice cream. I tell you what, I wish Tallrunner were 45 pounds lighter and 20 years younger. With that engine he has, and his toughness, he might threaten sub-2:00 for the marathon. Running the times he does, at his age and his weight of 204 pounds or whatever he hauls around these days, makes him a genuine freak of nature. Dark Horse
                          Whoa. Non sequitur.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Whoa. Non sequitur.
                            Not at all. Read more carefully. Of course, my comment about gaining a pound by looking at a half-gallon of ice cream was only a joke. Dark Horse
                            xor

Not at all. Read more carefully.
                              Why must it ALWAYS be the other person's issue? ALWAYS. Could it possibly... perhaps... maybe... be because you didn't express yourself clearly enough for others to follow the points you wanted to make? Maybe?

Marathon Maniac #3309

I lost over 100 pounds in a very short period of time...want to know the details, and how keep'n it off is easy?...no excuses, ha. (and keeping it off rather nicely btw) Some people do "seem" to know it all. But until you have "been there, done that" you don't have a freaking clue...I could write a book on this issue. If you are looking at running as a way to lose wieght and stay slim...forget it. But I have simple solutions to what seems to be a difficult issue. # 1 - buy NO junk food for home...you will eat it. # 2 - don't listen to DH, even if you...never mind... # 3 - say I am sorry in the morning, for what I said tonight. # 4 - the rest of the story, if people want to know the truth. Mary, will Email you tomorrow am...think you understand. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!