Masters Running

Another new beginning - 8.1.13 (Read 49 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

I'm at a coffee shop in Portsmouth, NH that serves as my "office" when I have meeting in town (as I do at 8 this morning). I was greeted and sold a cup of coffee by Whitney, who is one of the most cheerful morning people I've met. She lifts everyone's spirits, and that is a great gift!

5.8 racewalking, fartleking miles at 4 this morning. 61F, relatively dry, with a slight westerly breeze and a slice 'o moon overhead. The sky was lapis blue to start, and gradually lightened and moved toward orange/red as time (and I) moved along. I worked hard in miles 2, 4, and 5+, and achieved a modicum of speed. I had some aches afterward, but my trusty foam roller took care of that. Nice start to the day.

Have a greta Thursday and August!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Jay.  Sounds like a good morning for you.

Tammy—that sounds tough.  I hope you see some improvement.

Hi Starr.  Good to see you pop in.  Sounds like a busy month and some successful real estate transactions.

Ribs—a belated congrats on your anniversary.  You’ve had an amazing attitude throughout, which I’m sure has been beneficial.

Despite long sleeves, long pants, and work gloves, I somehow managed to get some poison ivy (I presume) from my weekend yardwork.  It’s breaking out now, mostly on my wrists and forearms.  Yuck.

Rain overnight left things very swampy this morning . I did 9 miles with 4 tempo miles in the middle and I was drenched by the end.  Nice foggy scene down by the river, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay and Tramps, and all to follow.

Tramps – my sympathies – I hate poison ivy.

Ribs – another congratulations on your anniversary.  Keep us posted on what the doc says.

71 and humid for my run this morning, the ground wet from the night’s rains, and the gnats in clouds along the river.  I think I inhaled several, got some caught on my eye lashes, and when I got home I found several stuck to the sweat on my arms.  Blech.

After a 1 mile WU I ran four progression miles at (8:54, 8:46, 8:37, 8:24) with 30-second walk breaks in between.  The first mile was hardest, but it got easier as I went.  Felt good.

One week after softball ended and we're already into the soccer season.  I had to run out after work Tuesday to get DD some new cleats before the evening practice (somehow I forgot that she grew since last year).  Tonight another practice, but we know two sets of parents on our team pretty well, so it's pleasant to sit out in the summery evening and shoot the breeze while our kids play.  I enjoyed the 8 seasons I coached DD, but I have to admit it is so much easier now that I am not.......  Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

4.14 miles for me this morning.  I am in the midst of a 3.5 week "Couch to 10 Mile" training plan. Roll eyes  When I signed up for the Crim I was not aware of how little running I would be doing this summer.

King of PhotoShop

My bachelor running life ends tomorrow with the return from FL of my RP, so I will have company tomorrow. All those poor women who ran with me while she was gone are now going to have to go find someone else.  I feel so bad for them.

Pretty steamy out there today and yesterday, but I got in 5.4 both days and it went okay.  Spareribs

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hello all. Scheduled sloth rest day today, so all I've got to report is breakfast today. Scrambled eggs on a fresh pumpernickel bagel, with some blueberry jam on the side. Oh and coffee too, of course. Going to the chiropractor/sports recovery facility this afternoon, so maybe I'll burn a little of that off with the wobble board and TRX.

Nice mile repeats, Holly! I haven't done formal speed work in ages, just weekly fartleks and tempo runs. What's next up on your schedule?

Speaking of schedules, is the Intrepid Racers thread still around? I should go poke around there and update it a bit....

It's a nice drizzly day here today. Not good for MrOM's golf hooky day, but I'm enjoying it. Smile

TammyinGP

The daily update on air quality is at "hazardous" today. Cry  The fires have been going on a week now and little to no containment on any of them. If there's any "bright spot" is that we've had lower than normal temps for the last 5 day (70's to low 80's) so that's helped the firefighters some, but the smoke covering our valley is so thick that they can't put tankers in the air and the fires are in such remote/mountainous areas that most areas are not accessible by ground either.

Tet - the Ave of the Giants meet up marathon is the one next May. There is NO way I could run a marathon in October. I'll be lucky if I can maintain my pace as the pace group leader in next months HM! I'm really glad now that I picked the 10 mm pace group!

Heading the gym after work for some TM running. Looks like that'll be the only place I can run for the next several weeks. The news folks have already said these fires will likely go on for weeks.

Tammy

4.3 miles, EZ

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

8.2 miles, tiny bit of 'speed', and a couple of hills

steve, even though my dad's family is from Scottville, it took you to educate me about Artemis and the witch of Scottville.  ribs, here's to many more anniversaries of your surgery.  starr, "hi".  It sounds like you've been busy.  Tammy, that smoke sounds terrible.  The picture of the campground was lovely, though.  Tramps, what a downer about the poison ivy.

Nice long runs for heme, wild, and evan (and speedy, too).

This morning, it was about 60° and there was a light wind.  I got in 10 miles with some hills.  My pace was 11:14.

Tomorrow morning, we're off to Ludington for our family reunion.  My daughter talked to my wife and is making some noise about me running 9 with her.  After 10 this morning, I don't think so.  However, I threw my bike in the truck and may be able to do two thirds of a tri while she runs.  We'll have to come up with a transition location.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

What's next up on your schedule?

The Erie Marathon at Presque Isle (Erie, PA) on 9/15/13.    I'm very late to be just starting speedwork, though, so we'll see how it goes.  However, I'm going up with the same two women I ran the KY Derby Marathon with, possibly a 3rd as well, so I anticipate a fun weekend regardless of finishing time.  Smile

http://www.erie-runnersclub.org/marathon/info_2013.php

Also doing the Moab Trail Marathon in Moab, UT on 11/2/13 with, you guessed it, these same two Ohio women and also Wildchild and Mtnchck!  Another very fun weekend planned there.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Starr - nice to see you!

Steve - if you will be using the rain to clean your body as well as your clothes, might want to warn your neighbors...Big grin

Brilliant!!! Not the neighbors part..They've been through worse..We can drastically lower our utilities. I can not wait to tell DW your idea. Thanks Holly. Moab sounds great.

Tramps, there is poison ivy soap available. Good luck.

I can not fathom all of your smoke Tammy.

TomS...Have fun in Ludington.

MTA..Not all heros wear a cape.

SteveP

Mariposai

I really, really, really would like to do Moab Trail marathon with Holly, Wildchild and the gang, but my fall plans are set in stone now.

Erika, I just love you girlfriend. Way to go with that last minute race Smile

8 zombies miles this morning. It was a gorgeous morning. I love it when I get glympses of sunshine during my runs!

I got a call from son David today. He is coming to town this weekend for a few days. This could very well be the last time he visits Omak before he goes to Macedonia as a Peace Corps Volunteer.

OrangeMat, it is so great to see you here again!

Tetsujin, don't you go to Japan next May....Clown...the Ave of the Giants awaits you!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

gracias posie. I hope I can see David too before he's off on his Peace Corps adventure.  He's a gem.

I bet you know what your mom felt like now, . . . so proud of you too.

I've driven through those Giants in my pre-running days, . . .  oh they still are pretty much non-running days). and thought of John Muir enthralling to the same sights a hundred years ago but the Vancouver BC marathon may be calling next May.  Otherwise, I'm there.

Speaking of reunions where funalene?

Did someone scare the Intrepid away last week?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)