Masters Running

Thu Nov 6 Runs and Workouts (Read 543 times)

Aamos, you are so cute! Loved the picture with Ernie?? was it? joining the 0 miles club for awhile, hopefully not too long. I see I have good company here. {{{evryday}}} hope your back gets completely better soon. I have less pain, am more ambulatory today, heading in the right direction. I'm never going to lift more than 20 pounds ever again, maybe. I did this same thing a year or two ago, but it seems a little worse this time. The joys of ageing! srlopez: Uli Steidl.....swoon.....he once asked me "what is your number", in his sexy German accent. Of course he didn't mean telephone number, he meant bib number as I crossed the finish line of one of the Cougar Mtn races.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tall, thanks for posting the photo. Beautiful. Amy, I heard about your weather on the radio. Ouch. I hope it improves before long. I got to run when it was 58 and drizzling only lightly. Perfect!! My running partner stopped at 4 miles, but I kept going and made it for 7 in 1:16:40 - average pace of 10:58, which is good for me at that distance. My last mile was 10:30, though! Fabulous run, and I felt like a "real" runner - light steps instead of plodding along. Those are occurring more frequently now! I can't believe that I can run 7 miles and it feels truly easy. This week I've done 3, 4, 10, 0, and 7. 6 tomorrow would make 30, so I'm going to go for it. It's raining harder now, so I'm glad I went earlier. Mainerunnah, did you get very wet?
        Holly - Big "House" fan here, too. But I think on the West Coast it's only on Tuesday evenings. Bummer. His crappy attitude reminds me so much of my Hub, it's comforting. Big grin Humid and wet here today. Made for a very sticky run. Suppose rain even harder this weekend, so it'll be another soggy trail run on Saturday. Hope you don't mind me nosing in here, but I love reading all your posts.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

DickyG

A jogger in prescott, Arizona ran a mile with a fox clamped on her arm and then drove herself to a hospital. The woman told deputies she was on a trail near Prescott when the fox attacked and bit her foot. She then grabbed the fox by the neck when it went for her leg but it bit her arm. She wanted the animal tested for rabies so she ran a mile to her car with the fox biting her arm, then pried it off and tossed it in her trunk and drove to the hospital. When questioned, she stated "well, my pace was off by about 45 seconds but the fox definately had a PR". Tet:
          ps to dickyg, . . . I mean, superstud - did you start mary'ing in the seventies too?
          Actually, I ran my first marathon in 1964...my goal was 2:55...missed it by about 40 minutes...and so it goes. Tammy:
          I'm feeling okay I guess. I did get a referral to a podiatrist for my achy feets
          You too? What is it with this group? Hope its nothing serious. Tramps: Your remarks about your hope for the younger generation was very well said...my youngest daughter voted for the first time and she took it very seriously, studied the issues, etc. But you also said:
          None of us here are world-class athletes...
          Speak for yourself, pal... Enke:...and you too? Go over & sit next to Tammy and all the rest of the walking wounded. Amy: OMG! Yeah...those SD winters are brutal...sister-in-law & family live in eastern part of the state..it's tough..it's almost 60 degrees warmer here. Ran 4.2 miles this morning in 37:18 (8:53)...but I overheated badly and had to walk about 4-5 times..it was 77 when I got home. Footnote on the election: According to this morning's papers, they have to certify, recount, and do all sorts of other stuff...there may not be a final winner until well into December. DickyG

Marathon Maniac #3309

enke, welcome to the non running club... hey, today is a buy one, get one free day...any other takers Wink Seriously, hope your back running soon and your back feels better! Geez Amy....nag nag nag (now I remember how it was being married Big grin. Ok, if the Doc gives me a diagnosis tomorrow, I will probably have a full report early tomorrow afternoon...ya happy now Tongue fatozzig, nose around here all you want....and post more Smile DickyG....STUD....has a good ring to it Cool You said "Actually, I ran my first marathon in 1964...my goal was 2:55...missed it by about 40 minutes...and so it goes" How old are you, about 140 Big grin. Funny, you only missed it by 40 minutes...at least YOU finished Angry Hey Bill, I remember how bummed you were after your last Marathon. Sooo happy to see your enthusiasm for running right now...and speedy to. Good luck Sat in your race...make sure your RR is happier than mine! Mariposai, thanks for the Hugs Wink My foot and leg is thinking hot tub Tammy Holly, yeah that is odd...boy, the dreams we have sometimes Confused Erika, can I have my pop cycle today...perrrrty please Smile Hey, while I'm at it I have a question to ask ya. Do you wear a flotation devise while pool running or tread water? I may try pool running, but I might as well just swim because I am good at that. I bet pool running is like watching paint dry, huh? Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, for those of you with time on your hands, go to Amy's link for the NYC marathon and look up our other racers: Mainerunnah 12437 Twokitty 10440 (I like that nickname Tim coined for you!) Erika 17018 http://www.brightroom.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=34924

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

DickyG--I actually had heard about the fox story today....gee, could it be b/c I'm stuck in the house with the stoopid TV on for weather updates (it's been muted now and I am listening NPR, mercifully). Oddly enough, the eastern part of SD is the area that usually gets the huge snow storms, but not this time--Sioux Falls is at 40 so just has rain, may pick up 1-3 inches. In the meantime, Deadwood, about an hour north of here, has gotten 40 inches. fattozig, mind? we welcome anyone who loves our posts.....that means you fit in here, do you mind us thinking that? Wink Holly, be careful, if you admit the DH, tet will be wanting in, too! Do let me know where you all will be, as what area of town, and I'll check out the hotels around there. ok, well, I'll prolly be back as the cabin fever climbs!
                Masters 2000 miles
                  Did you see that article that someone in the U.K. think's it's time to remove all Latin phrases from the English language?
                  That reminds me of the congressman (I can't remember his name) who, back in the 70's, introduced legislation to get pi changed to 3 because his daughter was having trouble in math. Sheesh. I, too, thought of Tall this morning during my run, but didn't ask about him because of said lack of blood in brain at time of post. Imagine how prescient I would have seemed had I remembered!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tim, I've tried pool running a few times this year. I use an AquaJogger flotation device that the Y has on hand (hee, hee - my main problem now is that it's hard to cinch it tight enough since I've lost so much weight!). I'm not a water person at all, but it's not bad. I did a Google search on it to get some ideas of form and interval training. I found that I had to really concentrate to work hard enough to feel like I got a real workout.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

It's raining harder now, so I'm glad I went earlier. Mainerunnah, did you get very wet?
                        Oh yeah, I went out at lunch time and it absolutely poured with a very strong North East wind which was especially bad on my return along the beach. Oh well it's still better than what Amy is getting out there in South Dakota....we'll get that soon enough...YUK! 5.02 miles - 42:11 - 8:25 - Heavy rain and strong NE winds off the water! Hey you can use the same link for my NY Marathon Photos - Bib # 12437 http://www.brightroom.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=34924
                        TammyinGP

DickyG - I don't think my sore feet are anything too serious. Doesn't bother me when running and they are just mildly sore for about 24 hrs after a run. I might have a bit of PF starting. I'm just trying to nip it in the bud in the early stages so it doesn't become a big deal. They've actually been feeling better over the last couple days. I got new insoles for my shoes, my chiro worked on my feet a bit and it going to again tomorrow. And I stick with running every other day for the most part. I'm not a big mileage person anyways. I'm so gullible. All this talk of a "No Running Club" . . . I thought Tim really did create another user group with that name and went searching for it. You'd think I was blonde or something . . . oh wait . . . Black eye nevermind. . . Roll eyes

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'm so gullible. All this talk of a "No Running Club" . . . I thought Tim really did create another user group with that name and went searching for it. You'd think I was blonde or something . . . oh wait . . . Black eye nevermind. . . Roll eyes
                            Big grin....Your too cute Wink But ya can join today for 1/2 price Roll eyes Tim

evanflein

Tammy, have I said lately how much I like You? Smile Aamos, yes we're looking at renting a house so we can spend less overall and have a home base for hanging out, cooking, etc. The one we found so far is 4 BR, so plenty of room! We're still looking though. DH loves to do this sort of thing, he found us a really nice beach house in Hawaii for much less than hotels (three families shared). We'd love to have you and DH join us! Tim, yes you need the flotation belt to maintain proper form. Well, it helps. Keeps you up in the water so you can do your RUN and not just tread water. It's not treading water. Repeat that. Sort of like... we don't jog, we run. Ok? And the Popsicle comes after the dr. appt report. Geez Carolyn... was hoping to keep those pictures under wraps. Actually, some of them aren't too bad, but my awful green shirt that I tied around my waist got all turned around and looks like some sort of funky running skirt. I didn't realize it had done that... Looks stupid. There were two guys taking pictures at the finish, and the second guy said the first guy's shot didn't work and he wanted to take some more. So I have like 8 finish shots. Roll eyes Our weather here is absolutely perfect for winter running. Clear bright sunny days, temps in the teens, snow is all cleared or packed down. Oh man.... Sad And I'm stuck in the pool. Rats. 30 more minutes of pool running last night, tonight I think I'll try the stationary bike, some weights and then the pool. Steve, my quads are sore after this race and that hardly ever happens to me. But my left quad was hurting during the race so I obviously stressed something. Feeling better today though so I'm going to try the bike.
                                fattozig, mind? we welcome anyone who loves our posts.....that means you fit in here, do you mind us thinking that? Wink
                                Nope, not at all! But you guys are keeping me from getting work done. Bad posters! Evil grin

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance