Masters Running

TGIF Runs Aug 22 (Read 382 times)

In my view having to actually pass the baton in a running relay makes it a "real team sport" as opposed to swimming "relays." In the latter you just wait for the other guy or gal to show up and then off you go. Other than patience there is no skill involved. Having these guys drop the baton is I think good for the sport of relay running. It shows you cannot just put a bunch of fast people together and win. They really have to be a team. Although I do wish this "good for the sport" event had not happened to our guys and gals. Black eye But such is life. Today is my weekly running day off. Just some time in the gym. My DW has a tennis tournament to go to tonight with some friends of ours. It is a pretty good one that many use as a warm up for the US Open. I hope she has fun. The Jogger 4 days off! Not a bad "job" if you can get it! Big grin perchcreek nice run especially the 6 at sub-8. WRFB good recovery run. Mariposai see the benefits of living 3 hours east! Go to Europe for a week and you can even start the thread! breger1 good MP run even if you had to cut it short. btb once suggested I try doing more of them. stumpy77 lots of people doing striders in their workouts. Nice going. Tramps after a missed run I thought you were supposed to hop around on one foot for an hour? Confused Did you hear differently? Big grin hopeful4ever good luck to your second cousin with his book sales! It is a tough market out there I hope it does well. CNYrunner it looks like the running weather should hold up for the rest of your trip. Nice run as always today. SueT48 if you are like my DW your idea of "survive the weekend" on your bike will be to not grind everybody else into the ground. Women always seem to be stronger bikers than they claim! nonoruns wow tough morning! Glad you managed to get out despite everything. Holly S. I tell you we have the exact same metabolisms and stomachs! I, alas, suspect that the lack of weight loss during high mileage training has more to do with intake than output. Sad DickyG very nice hill run. 3am at work! Shocked Glad I do not have your job. I would be collapsed at my desk or wherever.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lamerunner

Easy five this morning between yesterday's ten and a likely long run tomorrow. Nice to be back in the coolness but the Olympics are killing my sleep. Maybe a swim later. Anyone hear from Spareribs?

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

That baton hand-off reminds me of our Ragnar Relay in AZ. The "Baton" was a slap bracelet. You have it straight and you just "slap" it on the next runner's wrist..... simple, right? ....If it curls around the wrist and not the other way.... Here's me handing off to Erika Big grin http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/lateboomer/hand-off.jpg

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Ha, Twocat! Funny you should say that. DH gave me instructions last night - to stay behind all of the rest of the riders in my group so I'm not tempted to set the pace ;-). DickyG - yes, it is an organized ride of sorts. I'm meeting a group of friends from Michigan, and we're doing a Vermont/New Hampshire bike tour with "Bike Vermont". We're staying at a B&B on the Connecticut River (which reminds me I need to dig out my flyrod). I can't believe you stayed up until 3:00 AM and still did your run this morning - tough guy! {{{{{{{{{nonoruns}}}}}}}}} - not a good start to the morning - hope the rest of your day is better. Have fun in the race on Sunday.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

wildchild

Carolyn

Nono, I just HATE waking up to the sound of a dog barfing... but after a morning like that, your day can only get better, right? Holly, I have to disagree about running when you're sick. I think its better to rest, not to run for increased blood flow. I think that might work when you're getting better, but not when you're in the middle of an illness. DickyG, I liked the BMX racing too. Nice to see something different for a change. I wish NBC would show a bigger variety of sports. Perch, at least you didn't drop the bracelet on the handoff! (And it wasn't on international TV!) I think the athletes at the Olympics have a lot of class for how they deal with on-air interviews right after their races. The announcers are such doofuses! "How do you feel about dropping that baton?" It shows real class to answer coherently and show team spirit, and not assign blame or tell the interviewer what you really think about their lame questions. No run yesterday, but I'm planning another trail run in the state park on the way home. Twocat, yes, the hills are small mountains. Some are kind of big mountains. But its so much cooler than in the flatlands this time of year.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Steve! That was funny, I remember fumbling with it for a bit then just grabbing it and taking off. I'm sure if we had a real baton to pass we'd be dropping it and losing it in the dark! Holly, yep, I think it's true! I know when I was doing a bunch of varied workouts (elliptical, bike, stairmaster, weights) I was 10 lbs lighter and didn't have to constantly worry about gaining. Just seemed to stay there at 132 no problem. When I go to running exclusively, or mostly, the calories in/calories out thing just doesn't seem to balance! Efficiency? I don't know, but I'll bet that's a lot of it. Especially all the long steady runs where you just dial in a pace and go.... I guess your body just learns to economize as part of the training, which is actually valuable for marathons but not so good for weight control. Nonoruns, I think that's the worst thing to wake up to. With us it's usually the cat gagging on something awful... Lovely. You are so good at rolling with the punches on these things. Glad you got your run in, and yep, your day can only get better, right? Twocat... heh. Ain't gonna be no stinkin' race report. That was just a fun run at the last minute, best part about it was the gift card for being #3. Think I'll buy some more bagels this weekend... And my "hill" would be a mountain to lots of folks. I'm not in as hilly an area as Carolyn, but close. Hope the Beers have a great time with Mariposai! Can't imagine not though, she's a total delight. And Byll, I've met all three of them and I wanna do it again!!! Maybe maybe maybe next month... On the thought of cross training at the gym... that's the plan for today after work. I was hoping to go with DH, reminded him several times last night and today to take his stuff and we'd go right from work. But he'll probably forget. Or ride his motorcycle... And he said something about taking the boat on the river this evening and getting dinner at a stop along the way, which would be fun but would kill the gym plan. Oh well, we'll see what happens I guess. Our gym is opening a new "Express" club real close to work soon. No showers or pool, but changing rooms and equipment so you can pop in for a quick workout and go. That will be nice...

I Can Go The Distance

8 miles easy again today in 1:21:08 a 10:09 pace. I did the first 4 miles on the street and the last 4 at the track. LR/Wave run tomorrow. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Henrun

A beautiful morning called for a fun run despite my summer cold Clowning around. Subwayed to the Charles, ran 5 miles and ended up at Fanueil Hall mingling with the tourists and subwayed home. Beats the boredom of doing the same old routes. Love being an urban runner.

King of PhotoShop

Bit of a problem with one of my medications. I quit it too soon and it was giving me some discomfort, so the nurse said go ahead and take it and wean myself off it using my own judgment. That won't be hard to do, since I don't like to take medicines. So today I feel good again and walked for 90 minutes, estimating five miles. As to running while sick, I think it depends what kind of sick. I've always run through colds, but never any other kind of illness, certainly not the flu or a virus. (So I don't get attacked about this judgment, may I add that my opinion in this matter is not backed by any studies.) Karin, hope your MIL feels better. As to Olana, I ran a tenK there once. You start in the parking lot and run up the hill on switchbacks to the big house, then fly down to the finish. Hell of a race. I outran a guy there who was a rival. Driving up in the car the song "Disco Duck" came on the radio and he reached over and shut it off, saying that he hated the song. So on the way up the hill I got behind him and kept singing "Disco, disco duck....disco, disco duck." Nothing worse than trying to run up a steep hill and having a guy right behind you singing Disco Duck. File that tactic away somewhere DickyG. Yes, I am excited too about the Beers and Mariposai. That's going to be a lasting friendship I bet. Three of the world's kindest people. hally called me the other night and left a v.m. that said, "sorry I missed you; there's someone here who wants to talk to you." Dang! I knew she was having dinner with Mariposai too. Maybe I can catch up with her tonight. Spareribs
                      At least Perch you didn't stop and shake her hand for several seconds, which is what I did to Johnny. Wondering why he still had his hand outstretched (he wanted his mag-lite back). I'm of the run while sick camp, as long as there is no significant fever. But sleeping more is the number one way to get over any illness, IMHO. I had a cracker of a run today. Perfect 55F. Got up at 4:40am (probably a first). Did 14 miles with 6 miles of hills @ HMP. My Garmin says I ran those six miles at 9:15 pace, and I am still in a giddy state of disbelief about that. Splits for the fast 6 were: 9:19 (mostly flat) 10:09 (3 hills!!) 8:46 (mostly flat) 8:21 (gentle downhill) 9:19 (looonnng gentle uphill) 9:42 (steep uphill) Last time I ran that route at what felt like HMP, it was 9:45 or 9:35 pace, can't remember. I sense a PR coming...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My friend and I ran 6 hilly miles this morning - it feels good to do hill work again! It was 57 when we started, but 70 and very humid by the time we finished (1:05:51). But we DID it! Now it's time to get ready to go up to our little cabin tomorrow - our first time this summer, since we've been so busy. Not looking forward to cleaning it out! Have a wonderful weekend! Teresa
                          Spareribs lol actually there are studies to support your position! Here is one that summarizes a few about when it is and is not safe to exercise while ill. Calling in Sick: To Exercise or Not to Exercise When Illness Strikes Basically, if you have a cold (NOT the flu!) run all you want. It will not hurt or help. P.S. Sorry Ribs if you think my replies about whether a study exists or not is an attack on your position. Generally, I mean it as a caveat to my position. My views, it seems to me, should mean far less to anybody if I am just basing them on personal experience and nothing else.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Happy Friday everyone. Checking in late - 3.5 miserable miles this morning at a 10:03 pace. Hot and humid at 6:00 AM and a sore leg that didn't want to cooperate. But, I volunteered to work a 5K race tomorrow so I wanted to be sure to get some miles in anyway. Then, went to the golf course with DH and DS2 - and promptly hit my first drive into the water. Tight lipped The round didn't get all that much better. But at least I got more sleep than Nonoruns did last night. Ahhhh....mothers with babies live in another world, don't they? Hang in there, it gets better. (Then they turn 16, start driving and you can't sleep worrying about where they are!) Roy - nice to hear from you again! Have you been on vacation, or have I just been missing your posts? Interesting discussions about running through illness. What's the old adage, "below the chest, let it rest?" I also figure if you can run and breath without coughing and blowing your nose, it's all good! Went to bed last night before the men's beach volleyball game was over. Was pleased to see that they pulled in the gold. Thank goodness - no more Chinese cheerleaders in red bikinis! Have a great weekend, everyone. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #957

on the way up the hill I got behind him and kept singing "Disco, disco duck....disco, disco duck." Nothing worse than trying to run up a steep hill and having a guy right behind you singing Disco Duck.
                              Big grin Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Rest day for me. I drove the 60 or so miles down to Flint and picked up my packet for the 10-mile run tomorrow. And I picked up a new shirt and odds and ends at the expo. It has been beautiful weather the last few weeks. The mornings have been in the 40's and 50's. Tomorrow though is going to be brutal with 70's and high humidity.