Masters Running

Let's Take Thursday By The Tail 3/21/24 (Read 35 times)

It's not a complicated roof structured, but I'm guessing part of the expense is the estimated repair of the 2 spots.  Like The Hub keeps saying, it's a rough estimate.  The guy pics and measurements, then gives that info the people who do the real estimates.  Praying it ends up being less, but that's also why I want to get multiple estimates.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Up at 4:00 AM to see Cindy off to Florida and . . . out for a 3.4 mile run.

I was awake at 3:15, . . ..

I was walking Robert Earl at 3:30, . . ..

. . . I'm afraid to ask what time Jay got up.

In the meantime, it was still dark at my 6:00 am round-about of the 'hood so, to me, it seemed early.

Leslie - having had such bad experiences in getting ready to sell with roofer who "forgot" to install the aluminum drip flashing around the bottom edges, leaving thousands of big and miniscule pieces of shingle and tar paper all over the yard and place for me to clean up, etc. that we complained (for naught) to the Attorney General , if you're going to be selling in the future, maybe just patch up and reduce listing price.

Celebrated the 10th day of exciting sumo matches including a newly-promoted rikishi wrestler into the top makunouchi division of 30 or so contestants winning a record-tying 11th straight win in his first time up there thereby matching the 11 straight victories over the more experienced rikishis by the champion yokozuna top rikishi when I was in Japan in the sixties and our homestay took us to see one of the matches bac when I didn't even know what they were.

On the way back from solar shade surveying at Lowe's where t hey wanted us to have their subcontractor come out and take measurements that I already did, bring by samples of the sun screen densities available (as they had no more of the free sample patches for taking home on our own) etc., stopped by Sumo Express for late lunch Sumo rolls and Poke Bowl that were okay, especially compared to the samlon shashimi, cocnut sheimp, tuna sasnimi, Cailofrnia Roll, vagetarian roll, etc.lunch and am now checking out e-bay for standard 72" roller shades that'll work just as well for less than $100 compared Lowe's $480 at, to boot, 45% off.

ps Holly - Scrabble, Scabble, Scrabble, especially when kids little learning new words. DW and me too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

the roof guy is recommending we re-roof the entire house since it's at least 18 years old and the 2 spots are going to be significant repairs.  His rough estimate - $30,000. 

The folks who fixed the leak in our roof said we will probably need a new roof in 2-4 years. He said it would cost about $13,000 (in case we wanted to start saving now.)  I wonder why it is such a big price difference.  California vs. West Virginia?

Marathon Maniac #957

Maybe it'll work out for the best because I have a swim meet on Saturday morning, my first since last June (!!!!!!!),

Nice - good luck!

Tet - I brought a Sumo tangerine to work for my afternoon snack.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Leslie, my roof also needed most corner edges redone - wood completely rotted from all the rain - new wood and a few boards on top. Don't let them scare you into thinking this is a super big job for them (then again, I don't know the details). It was either fix my roof, or sell as is as a tear down. Glad I chose to fix up as I was not ready to move.  I got an estimate for replacement windows from one place for about 35K, and went with 10K windows that look fantastic.  Friends of mine did their own window replacement for about 1600.

Holly, both my kids are heavy into video games (ex's influence) etc.  My DD even bought a special Pokémon T-shirt to wear. She's definitely nerdy, my DS less so.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

anneb

We just got a new roof last fall - $13,500 (Chicago - I always think we are higher for services/everything really). No repairs.

The folks who fixed the leak in our roof said we will probably need a new roof in 2-4 years. He said it would cost about $13,000 (in case we wanted to start saving now.)  I wonder why it is such a big price difference.  California vs. West Virginia?

Anne

Much of our neighborhood, including us, got new roofs this past summer due to some hail damage.  We just had to pay the deductible on our insurance.  Are you sure your roofer can't find some damage from storms or hail?  Ours was about $26K otherwise, I think.  We upgraded a few things which we paid for ourselves.

Good luck BTY.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

early run (for me) at 11am local time. Ducks game at 1pm.

5.25M, first 5k progression run 8:30-8:00-7:30 then a run/jog back.

Taking a cheat day from the set today.

May be an image of lumberyard

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

It's not storm damage - and by the way everything is more expensive in California, especially Northern CA, or so it seems.   But I digress.

The guy explained that it's his opinion we don't have proper venting to let the air out of the attic.  Plenty of vents on the eaves that lets air in, but no way for it to escape.  The two spots that are bad are where the stove and bathroom vents are.  It can't be a coincidence that the 2 areas of the house that would have the most moisture venting out are the 2 spots on the roof that are visibly rotting.  So are the vents themselves leaking into the attic with no way for the moisture to escape?   *sigh*

I called another roofing company today, so I'll have at least 3 estimates.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I got in 6 miles then lifted weights with Zac.

The snow is coming so I have to get to bed so I can get up and shovel.

Sorry about the roof problems, Leslie. 

Okay—gotta go.  See ya!

Hi friends - 5 very chilly, windy miles this morning with the SS crew!!

Church, prayer group and lots of errands- Costco with dh and the outlets with mom. Scored a couple new pairs of Saucony for 39.99 because the store is moving out of this outlet - love a good sale!!

With my running and walking miles today had close to 20,000 steps!

Delicious dinner cooked by dh then had my hairs cut! Looking forward to having my grand girls overnight Sat and having a little 11th birthday celebration for Maria!!

Sweet dreams Masters!!

denise

SteveP

Not recap except to say Leslie’s roof repair about made me choke.  I checked the cost of materials between my area and hers. It’s not apples to apples.  What is available to me is not available to her and the prices seem to be at least 25% higher in CA. 

I’m posting from a phone today. Dunkin and I were having a riot on the dunes.  I love how he climbs peaks and surveys the landscape. We got 2.9 miles in. Then we picked up DW and got another mile and a quarter.

SteveP