Masters Running

What inspires me or you? (Read 189 times)

In about a week Flint hosts the CRIM Festival of races.  10's of thousands of people line the streets for most if not all of the 10 mile course. Ten thousand runners will start the race at 8:00am.  What alot of people do not see is that the race actually starts at 7:30 for me,  I have run this race for 11 straight years and I have not failed to be at the starting line at 7:30 every single year.  The 7:30 race is for the handicapped runners, and the wheelchair athletes.  I don't particapate but I have a friend who does so I always see him off.

It is these athletes who inspire me, and that have given me my greatest memories of running.  Sammy Crawford, my friend since we were 12 years old, has cerberal palsy.  He was not born with it, but  he was strangled on a clothes line when he was 9 years old, playing superman.  Sammy has been running the Crim for as long as I can remember.  I seem him out training for the Crim running along very busy roads and I am awe struck by his perservance as he struggles to run.  He is my hero!!!!  Their are blind runners, deaf runners and amputees.  They are my hero's.

One other story from one of first CRIMS.  At the 5 mile mark there are a series steep hills that run almost all the way to mile 6, theyare called the Bradley Hills.  A young handicapped wheel chair athlete was trying to get up the Bradleys, he struggled mightly to get up the first hill.  After a steep downhill he started up the second hill, near the top of the hill, it obvious that the hill was going to get the best of him.  A women from the crowd ran out and started coaching and cheering him on.  He walked the chair up the hill hand over hand until he reached the top.  She ran down the hill with him and cheered and inspired him up the third hill. 

The athletes and the fans inspire me to run every chance I get, because its these memeories that inspire me.

Mike E

MM #5615

Really cool, Derrick!  Thanks.

..these are the Toughest Runners, and give new meaning to ''Keep Training''........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thank you for sharing, MD.  The story of your friend and the young guy on the hills . . . . .

My inspiration is my mom.  She passed away almost 22 years ago at the age of 45.  She suffered greatly from rheumatoid arthritis and everything that comes with it, including joint replacement; having the toes on both feet broken, the tendons cut, and pins inserted into the end of each toe in an effort to straighten them out so she could walk; other major medical issues; and finally succumbing to a lung infection resulting from a last ditch medication given to her to try and reign in the effects of the disease.

My mom couldn't walk a block without being in excruciating pain let alone run, but she rarely ever let others see her pain.  When she was out in public, she always had a smile on her face.  And with her family, she did the best she could to not be a burden us, often leaving her tears for my dad alone so as to limit the affect on my brother and me.  Her worst years were between 1981 and 1989, my high school, college, and two years into my marriage.

I think of her often when I am struggling with anything.  If she could get through all that crap, surely I can get through a bad run, an injury, a life-changing crisis.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks for your story about your Mom Leslie.

My father passed in 97 in a car crash, and brother in 82 also in car crash.  I put their names on my race bibs, at least the larger races I do, so that they are are always in my thoughts.  I also put my DW's name on my bib, because she always supports me.  When I am tired I just look down at my bib and I can gain strength. Thanks MD