Masters Running

Happy Labor Day Runs and Races and not. (Read 551 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, man--after a long day of yard work, bike fixing, post hole digging, car washing, and a run with the high school cross country team--this is best place to be.  I don't know which post I laughed harder at.  You guys are all crazy!

I finally got to run with the high school cross country team for the first time this year.  They ran on a hilly course through tall grass.  The coach stood in the middle of the course with a whistle and blew it for the intervals.  40 second recovery--40 second jog--30 second race pace--and 10 second sprint.  I went with the group that did this circuit 11 times.  I think we got in about 3 miles in about 22 minutes.  Although that must be wrong because it felt a whole lot faster than that.  The trails were real narrow and to pass you had to go into really tall grass.  I tried once--hit a hole--and went end over end a couple times--jumped back up and hauled off trying to catch them kids.  Dang, they're fast.  Man, it was fun!

Now--I have to rest.  After the day's activities, my back is aching, my legs and arms are sore, and I am just plain tuckered out.  I have a 25K next Sunday, so I have to take it easy for the rest of the week.

Okay--that's it from me.  I can't get Avenger Doggie running into a tree out of my head... 

Oh--Enke--your Achilles--I hope you can find somebody to help you with that.  I've been dealing with my mine since 1998!  Mine hurt where they attach to the heal--and I have had so many different doctors tell me to do so many different things.  I really don't know where to go next.  Good luck with yours!

{{{Enke's AT!!}}}

Beautiful pics, Tet.

I, too, would love to be in Tall's kitchen as a taste tester.

Great race, Dave!  Glad your heart stayed intact.

LOVED the video of Avenger Doggie.  What a hoot!

Okay - This is a really long post, and I'm apologizing at the beginning.  So, here we go:

I had a good day today.  And it was full of surprises!

My plan was to get up by 7:00, pack a lunch, and head to Fern Canyon for a walk.  Well, 7:00 came along, and I decided to stay in bed a little longer, which means I didn't get out of here until a little after 10:00.  I'm heading north on US101, and as I get to the 299 off ramp, I see a small dog running down the fast lane of the highway.  I immediately pulled into the small spot between the 299 off ramp and 101, flip on my hazard lights, and start jogging down the highway trying to catch up with the little guy.  Soon, a couple of other people had pulled over and traffic started stopping, trying to not hit him.  He (she?) crossed over the median and got into the southbound traffic.  By the time, two ambulance workers had stopped to help.  Cars were trying to pull into his path to stop him, he crossed back over the median into the northbound lane. I almost had him at one point, but I couldn't grab his leash and he got away from me.  Crap!

Another vehicle pulled over and the guy jumped out with a leash, and a Lay's van driver and a CHP officer pulled over.   The little guy took off up 299 eastbound (he wasn't running hard, but he was keeping up a good pace).  By now, I'd been on the chase for about 15 minutes, so I ran hard back to my car, gunned it onto 299, and got ahead of him.  Meanwhile, the CHP officer and the Lay's guy, both of whom had been too far down 101 to use the 299 off ramp, had taken off and entered 299 heading west toward me and the dog.  I got close again, but he crossed over the median onto the eastbound side of the highway, and then the Lay's guy and I both started to catch up 'cause the little guy was getting tired.  Within about 5+ minutes, we managed to get him cornered 'cause he was so tired, the Lay's guy caught his collar, and the CHP officer finally caught up with us.  All in all, about 20+ minutes of pup chasing down the highway.  I even had one guy yell at me to get my *&^% car off the road.  Butthole.

The dog was a real sweetie once we caught him and he realized we weren't trying to hurt him.  Unfortunately, he had no tags.  I hope his owner finds him and pays more attention to his safekeeping. I swear, if I could have a dog, I'd go get him tomorrow from the shelter and bring him home.

I got back on the road, and about 15+ minutes later, a Great Egret flew up from the side of the road.  I barely missed him, and my guess his feet were only a foot or two above the top of my car.  Scared him so bad, he pooped all over my car:

Having missed the Egret, I continued on my way, and about a mile outside of Orick, I came across a herd of Roosevelt Elk, at least 30, with one baby hiding behind a log:

It's not often you see the bulls and cow together.

Again, back on the road to Fern Canyon, turn off onto the road to the Canyon, and about 6+ miles in, most cows right on the side of the road:

I counted at least 13 cows.  The one above wanted to get across the road to the herd, but she was very wary of the cars.

I finally got to the Canyon, and managed a couple of pics before the batteries crapped out.  I must've put in the wrong type of batteries in my little camera because it died after only about 5 pics.

I climbed up to the ridge that goes around the Canyon and took a different trail than I've ever been on before.  Ended up being a really great trail with lots of climbing and some great downhill sections.  I mostly power hiked, but did a little bit of running.  All in all, about 7.5 miles in approximately 2.5 hours.

It was a great day.

(PS - I tried to rotate the last two pics, but it doesn't seem to have taken.)

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Leslie, that's so cool! You did a lot of running, what with pup chasing and your hike/run. And those elk are amazing! Never seen them so close to the road. How's your foot now?

Enkie, sometimes it's hard to tell what makes the AT get irritated. But take care of it now... that can be a bear to heal up. 

No run today, but lots of hours in the garden. I've had problems with voles all season and the traps I've set out don't seem to catch anything anymore. So... the best defense is a good offense. I started digging the potatoes today. Dug up 4 rows and have three to go. Most are pretty good, but there are a lot of chewed up spuds. Dratted vermin. Also pulled up all the beans and pulled some carrots and beets. I usually wait till a little later and do it all at once, but that's just too big a job, so doing it a little every day for the next week or so. 

How's your foot now?

Um, rather PO'd . . . . but it was worth it!  I'll just have to take it easy the rest of the week. Smile

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Wildchild-I was the first doggie over all. And best dressed too!

You guys are all crazy!

Okay--that's it from me.  I can't get Avenger Doggie running into a tree out of my head... 

I get that from dad's side. Isn't digging fun? Mom hollers on me for it

Fatozzig!!! Did you make those big big deer go run run run???? ACK!! All those sticks too!!!!!! WOW!!!Take me there and we can find more big big deer and get 'em get 'em! and we can play stick too!!!!!!

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Marathon Maniac #957

My watch was 22:08.  Official time listed as 22:10.  This was my 3rd best 5k as an adult.

Congratulations!

Yay, TomWhite for total bliss!

Leslie and Tet - great pictures!

No run for me for Monday.  Instead, I hooked up DD's trailer bike and we rode for over two hours on the river trail, which included many stops and starts.  Blustery cool day for the first time since spring.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...thanks guys//

.........wildchild//.......in my line of work,

I have to get across the idea

in the shortest sentences

and

easy to read.......

so,

yep I do write everything like this.....

.............hadn't thought of it before......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....