Masters Running

Saturday, April 14..... (Read 414 times)

Dave59

A tough 10 for me.  I didn't wake up early so I needed to fit my run in sometime during the day.  Just after breakfast, my wife unexpectedly took the grandkid out for a while so I decided to give it a go on a stomach full of bacon, potatoes, and pancakes with fresh Michigan Maple Syrup.  I had on and off foot pains, knee pains, and of course some on and off stomach discomfort.  But it's done.  Tomorrow I travel to the Charleston, WV office for a week of work.  It's tough working in the office when you're used to being at home.  I have to sit and try to pay attention in meetings instead of spending the time doing stuff around the house.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I was going to be running marathon no. 150 in the last 36 years at Mega-bob`s 500th marathon but got sent over to Japan at the last minute. Though not what I was expecting, especially after last week`s Cherry Blossom (hanami) 42.195 Kilometers, it turned out to be probably the first magical marathon of my life  

it was raining so hard throughout the night that I eschewed the first subway (5am) to the Imperial Palace grounds for an early start as they would probably cancel it anyway. Not. There they were two hours later all getting ready for the 8am start as if they lived in seattle or something and the weather didn`t matter.. 

there was no let-up at all in the rain and wind but it trannsformed last week`s cherry blossoms into little flurries like snow swirling around us with every little gust. We were ran on a carpet of pink pedals for much of the 5K circuit around the palace as our plastic rain jackets, arms, legs and feet, and faces became moving canvases for colorful designs in pink petals.

Happy magical Bostons too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. your DH is on a roll!  Good for him!  My DW also dropped a bunch by diet and running with the dogs (she syas she doesn't like running but does it to warm up... now it's spring and she's still running with the dogs. She's up visiting her mom this week and before she left she said "I wonder where I can run?"  hmmm no dogs.

I just bought a new Garmin 305 yesterday since th battery on mine won't last 10 miles with the light on.  Now I read Holly's post!  Mabe I'll get my old one fixed. That's a good deal!

Hydrate like crazy Boston Runners, slow down and enjoy the experience.  This is your reward race for qualifying so no need to suffer too much (ok.... suffer some.. it IS Boston!)

It's getting warm and stormy here tomorrow so I did my long run with Marathon Pace today after running 10 miles at MP yesterday.  It was a bit more tiring but the splits were awesome:

17 miles with 14 MP (target 8:35 for BQ-10 range)

9:24, 9:28  then the MP miles:8:56, 8:32. 8:29, 8:37, 8:33, 8:33, 8:29, 8:27, 8:33, 8:34, 8:29, 8:25, 8:26, 8:24  CD 9:00 (MP miles avg 8:32)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Holly S. another high five here for your DH!

Good luck Boston Sauna Marathon runners!  Joking  Freaky weather.  Just enjoy the jog and finish happy!

Today my DW and I said goodbye to Mariposai and her DH.  They are wonderful guests and chefs as well!  Early yesterday they shooed me out of the kitchen so I could work and they did a ton of preparation for dinner.  Mariposai's DH was a gem!  For the festivities we made smoked ribs.  He babysat them to keep the temperature just right and the smoke streaming out of the wood box.  Great job!  The ribs were phenomenal!!!  Mariposai chipped in to make more dishes than anybody should ever make in one day!  Every one she did was simply awesome.

Dave59 yep, after you get used to "commuting" by walking downstairs it is tough to head into an office to do essentially the same thing.

tetsujin209 I am pretty sure a run in that kind of weather would not spring forth the word "magical" from my lips no matter what!  Unless by magical it was me looking out from a cozy and dry building!

perchcreek nice MP workout!

Tomorrow I have my first 20 miler on tap!  I am actually looking forward to it.  I am also going to experiment with a location tracking app called Glympse.  You send an email to somebody.  They can then track you for however long you allocated via a web link.  My only concern is that it will drain too much power from my cell, which also provides my musical entertainment while running.  If the phone dies mid run that will kill tracking and my music!  However, if things work out it will allow my DW to better track me during races and that will be handy so I am really hoping it is not a major power drain.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

hopeful, glad to hear things went well with your mom.  Also, congrats on the new Jeep.  bike, great report from the doctor and fantastic bike ride with your buds.  fatozzig, happy birthday to your dad (only 3 years older than I am).  OM, nice picture of your running friends.  wild, you run in some nice looking places.  holly, how fantastic that your husband has lost 22 pounds.  It sounds like a wonderful visit that the posies had with the Twocats.

Nice long runs for perch, Tramps, RCG, hopeful, opie, Slo, Dave, and perch.  Good job on the speedwork for OM.

This morning, I did a 5K race.  The weather was pretty good, temps in the mid 50s and some pesky wind.  The proceeds from the race were for a local school's scholarship program.  This appeared to bring out a lot of people that don't run a real lot but want to support their school.  I finished in just over 28 minutes for a 9:05 pace.  The results had me 30/76 OA and 1/3 in my AG.  That sounds better than it was since they lumped the walkers and runners together in the results.  The other 2 in my AG were walkers and it appeared that there were only about 6 walkers in the race.  I was the oldest in the race.  I got in a mile warmup and 2.9 miles after the race to give me 7 miles for the day.  I saw a few of my running friends but not as many as at a lot of races.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Rosie, congrats to your DSs for running the 3.2 mile race. Sorry your DD is having a hard time - very understandable.
              Holly, congrats to your DH!  Even though I understand how it works when people lose weight, it always seems strange to think about where all that extra fat actually went...
              Slo, nice 20 miler!

Twocat, have fun on your 20 miler tomorrow!

Tet, I agree with Twocat that running in the rain wouldn't be so magical, but the cherry petals (pedals?) sound nice.

I ran my 3rd 20+ mile trail run today - that's 3 in 3 weeks.  Maybe not what most marathon training plans call for, but so far so good.  Plus, I run these way slower than most people run their 20 milers, because of the steep rocky trails.  Today I ran 21.2 miles in just over 5 hours, with an avg 14:24 pace - exactly the same pace as my 1st 20 miler 2 weeks ago.  Both runs were in Golden  Gate Canyon State Park, so very similar conditions.  Max elevation was 9500 ft and min was 7600 ft, with a net elevation gain/loss of +/-7900 ft.  I figure my marathon will be hilly and high altitude, so these long runs are more about running hills and spending the time on my feet, and not so much about speed.

Still waiting for the predicted snow to materialize.  Maybe the weather forecasters are wrong, Hope they're wrong about Boston too.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Greetings from The Pro's....poor Ribs...sitting on the corner all alone.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wild...three 20's in a row...wow!!

uh hum...poor Ribs? Smile

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

! Wishing all of our Boston racers safe travels and fleet feet to our weekend racers!

Great picture of the More girls OM....you look great, as always. Carolyn, your trails are just beautiful!!

Quick post and will have to come back and read through here later.

Mary - Very glad to hear things went well with your mom.

I headed out the Trinidad for 16 this morning all by my lonesome.  Karen is refusing to get up early to run anymore, so I'll be doing most of my runs solo or partially solo from now on.  She finally got out there when I had about 4 miles left, so only ran about a mile with her.

We park at the house of a co-worker of hers.  They have a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Luna.  Sweet dog, but older than Charlie and definitely not in as good of shape.  Unfortunately, Karen let her follow her the 2.5 miles to the A-line where I met up with them, I guess expecting me to take her back with me.  Well, she obviously couldn't do 16 miles with Karen and Charlie, so yeah,  I had to get her back to the house - - which ended up taking forever.  First, she wanted to go with Karen and Charlie so bad, twice she just laid down in the road and I had to coax her to get up.  Then it was well over a mile's worth of coaxing to get her back to where we turn off the A-line.  Then it was 2.5 miles of slow going 'cause she just got exhausted.  Needless to say, I was quite irritated.  A really good run got totally derailed, but there was no way I was going to leave Luna out there to get back by herself.

A to-the-point email was sent to Karen - don't take Luna with you anymore.  I have no doubt she's going to be one sore pup tonight and tomorrow.

I probably could've done the 16 in about 3-3.25 hours.  Instead, it was 4 hours.  I feel more sorry for Luna than anything.  To compensate, I raided a whole bunch of doggie treats out of Karen's car and gave them to Luna.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Picture courtesy of Mariposai.  One person in this picture is Mariposai and the other Twocat.  I will leave it to you to guess who is who!  Big grin

Mariposai and Twocat

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - you make that sound so magical!  I sure wish I could run with you someday....

Perch - sweet!

Twocat and Mariposai - great picture!

Wild - 3 20's in a row - awesome!

Leslie - I would have been a bit annoyed, yes.....(((Luna)))

Spending the evening reading about heart catheterizations and stents and angioplasty, etc.  Poor DH is a little spooked about the whole thing.  He hates hospitals - they literally make him feel sick when he enters them.  He even tried to get out of coming to the hospital when I gave birth...both times...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BlazinCajun

Just received this advisory from the B.A.A. Not sure who would take a deferment. Still hoping the cool front comes through. Lot's of thin and in shape folks around here in Boston - It's very easy talking to them - we all have something in common.

Andrew

Advisory From Boston Marathon Medical Directors to Entrants in the 2012 Boston Marathon

Saturday, April 14, 2012 as of 11:30 a.m.

We are looking closely at the current weather situation which is projected  to be quite warm. The B.A.A. is closely monitoring this situation for for race day decisions. If the temperatures reach certain levels, running will put even the most fit athletes at risk for heat injury. 

We are now making the recommendation that if you are not highly fit or if you have any underlying medical conditions (for example-cardiac disease, pulmonary disease or any of a number of medical problems), you should NOT run this race. 

Inexperienced marathoners should not run. 

Those who have only trained in a cooler climate and who may not be acclimated (for at least the last 10 days) to warm weather running conditions should also consider not running. 

For those very fit athletes who decide to run, you should take significant precautions: 

Run at a slower pace and maintain hydration.
                          You should frequently take breaks by walking instead of running.

This will not be a day to run a personal best.  If you choose to run, run safely above all else. Speed can kill.

Heat stroke is a serious issue and is related to intensity of running as well as the heat and humidity.

Good hydration is important but over hydration can also be a problem. Thirst is an indication that you are under-hydrated. You should maintain hydration levels slightly greater than your hydration program in your training, but not excessively so.

Even the fittest athletes, that take precautions can still suffer serious heat illness. Recognizing symptoms of heat illness in yourself and others is critical , this may include headaches, dizziness, confusion, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. If you experience any of these, stop running immediately and if symptoms persist seek medical attention.

Boston Marathon Co-Medical Directors,
                          Dr. Pierre d'Hemecourt and Dr. Sophia Dyer 

BOSTON MARATHON UPDATE

Due to warm weather in Monday's forecast, a deferment option has been introduced. 

Due to the unusually warm weather forecast for the Boston area on Monday, the B.A.A. will defer the entry of those official entrants to the 2013 Boston Marathon for participants who decide not to race.

This applies to official entrants only who either have claimed or will claim their bib number packet at the John Hancock Sports & Fitness Expo through Sunday evening at the Seaport World Trade Center in South Boston. Runners must claim their bib number for deferment to be an option.  

In order to receive a deferment for 2013, race participants may not start the race. 

No refund for the 2012 entry will be given.  All entry fees for 2013 must be paid. 

In addition, the B.A.A. will keep the finish systems open an additional hour on race day.  Whereas the finish systems generally cease just prior to 5:00 p.m., this year the finish systems will remain open until approximately 6:00 p.m. 

Please go to the B.A.A.'s web site - www.baa.org or www.bostonmarathon.org - for the latest information. 

The B.A.A. thanks all participants for their cooperation in this matter. 

GOOD LUCK PARTICIPANTS!

Sincerely,
                          B.A.A. 

Andrew
                          ------------------
                          God, my Lord, is my strength;
                          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                          and enables me to go upon the heights.
                          Hb 3:19

and the Boston festivities are underway!!  had a wonderful evening with my running group's pasta party tonight - we have one full bus of runners and another full bus of volunteers heading in to Hopkinton Monday morning!!  Soooooo exciting!!   Looking forward to seeing the RA crew tomorrow afternoon at the Lir!!Smile

still sick with this darn sinus thing but not as bad as last weekend fortunately - did an easy 5 miles this morning for the first time since my disastrous 1/2 marathon last saturday -- will be happy when this sinus cold/infection/congestion leaves me alone!!Angry

OM - have a wonderful race tomorrow and cherish the time with your friends!Cool

Holly - congrats to your DH

great pic of Posai and Twocat!

denise

SteveP

there was no let-up at all in the rain and wind but it trannsformed last week`s cherry blossoms into little flurries like snow swirling around us with every little gust. We were ran on a carpet of pink pedals for much of the 5K circuit around the palace as our plastic rain jackets, arms, legs and feet, and faces became moving canvases for colorful designs in pink petals.

Happy magical Bostons too.

Sweet!!

Good luck on your 20 miler Two Cat!!! I can not see the picture, however, there is no doubt it's wonderful.

You are kind to animals Leslie. Nice

When it comes to surgery Holly, "I stress, therefore I am". They should sedate your DH before he even gets to the hospital.

We're trying to get ready for a week in FL starting Saturday. Silly things keep coming up. DD#3 got her exhaust repaired to $25.00 in part. Tag installed a doggy door in the patio door screen. One of the kids got him worked up and wanted to see him run into the screen. I guess it didn't even slow him down......I know that not every idea I've had has been wonderful. The offending child (young adult) put in some sweat equity on the repairs. We still got an hour on the trails.. It was getting dark by the time we got back to the truck. Kinda nice.

SteveP