Masters Running

Wednesday Sept. 9 runs and milestones (Read 484 times)

TammyinGP

congratulations Mary on your milestone! That's one I thought I would reach this year, but now it's not looking so great. I just didn't get in the mileage I needed over the summer to reach that goal. Tall - congratulations on winning the Master HM! You are quite a humble and talented athlete. Tim - I agree with you on Lance. I have always believed he was clean and continue to believe so. I hadn't heard he was going to do the Tour again.That'll be exciting to see how he does after a few years of running - to see if he's lost some of his cycling fitness or if he's gained because of taking a cycling break and 'cross training'. I will probably run after work tonight. The evenings are cooler now and more comfortable to run in. Since I have a race on Saturday, I'm keeping my runs short this week. Did 4.5 yesterday and probably just 4 tonight. have a good day everyone.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Many older athletes have shown the world what they can do. Who knows? Perhaps his time off may have given him the rest he needed to make another run. I am no cyclist and don't follow it, but I hope he does well. Back to Tall, it seems to me that this kind of course with hills and tough terrain is ideal for a runner of his physical strength. Very happy for you Frank. Did anyone catch Tramps' neologism "regression run" the other day? Good one. Of all the objects that kids can toss around the house, the one I particularly would not like to be hit with is a hockey puck. Watch out for that kiddo. Oh, my walk today? Miserable, slow 4 miles, totally out of sync and uncomfortable! Had I been running, I would have classified this one as a recovery run, as yesterday was a big day. And I'm having a big week. Will I break 40 as Twocat predicted? We will see. Spareribs
      wildchild

Carolyn

Mtnchk, I love your avatar picture of Mairead on her back! My dogs do that all the time. How's the marathon training going for you and Team in Training? Tall, a huge congratulations on winning your hometown half marathon! Hopeful, way to go on the 1000 miles, and what a sweet run this morning! You, too, Holly! Doing the smart thing can be overrated. Tim, way to keep up with those cycling buds! You haven't cycled for months? Sounds like a great work out and a nice way to rest your heel. Peter, I also thought that Runner's World article about running hills was interesting. It made me feel somewhat better that I can't run all of the hills around my house. Most of the hills they list are only 100-200 ft high. The only race hill that sounds tough is the Mt. Washington road race, but that's a "mere" 6,288 ft. at the top. What really amazes me is the folks who run Pikes Peak - it starts at 6,300 ft, and the summit is 14,100 ft. This year's Pikes Peak Marathon winner (the marathon is up to the summit and back down to the base) ran a 3:36:54 which is an 8:17 avg pace. Gordon, good luck on the job interview! I stopped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park on the way home last night for a trail run. Actually I ran up the road and then down the trail. I thought the road might be easier to run up, as there are more switchbacks and it has better footing, but I ended up walking a lot because its so darn steep! Right at the high point of the road, a huge bull elk crossed the road right in front of me. Very cool. The run back down the trail through the meadow was magical, as always. I love that trail! Coincidentally, it's called the Elk Trail Smile Starting elevation was 8600 ft, top was 9200 ft, distance 1.8 miles up on the road and 2 miles down on the trail. Avg pace 12:06. Tonight I have the 2nd race in a trail racing series. Tonight's race is 5.2 miles. Its supposed to be warm today, might be about 80 at 6 pm, so I'm not hoping for a speedy run, but I'm gonna get a PR, as I've never raced that distance! Cool

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I Can Go The Distance

4 miles recovery run this morning in 39:46 a 9:57 pace. My foot felt alot better when I got up this morning, I was not hobbling around like the last few days. Felt fine during my run and still feels ok now. Erika,thanks for the info from Mayo it was very helpful. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Top 'O the World!

Wildchild: That's her being "energetic" before am run! Big grin She is really enjoying this cooler weather!.....I think training's coming along okay...was pushing it a bit hardish (fer me! Wink )..w/life+mileage+boot camp 2 x's per wk+ TNT group started track drills on Weds's....then: had some left foot issues that seemed to come on after Slacker (needed wider shoes + time off)... some other time off for funeral in MN, & then crewing the TransRockiesRun (8/23 - 8/31) - loads of fun, but no down time for running...still, I seemed to come back online okay...took a few moderate days & then I went out reeeal slow & easy on Monday & got in my 18 miler...& feel pretty good just now Smile ....have TNT w/o @ Red Rocks this eve...now, about boot camp!? & Good Luck tonite!! Smile
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats Mary! That is a lot of miles, quite a shift up from last year! :-) Tim, good luck at Indianapolis then. Nice job on the bike ride! btw, I'm a previous bike racer too (if only Lance had been a year or two older, I would have raced against him :-P ). Nice Job Holly...the times when you're running in the flow are amazing! I did 5 recovery miles this morning. I just didn't want to go as my workout last night was tough and my legs felt too heavy. Of course once I got out on the road I felt better and by the end I was feeling great. I'm looking forward to a long run tomorrow. Enjoy your day everyone! Craig
              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
              also on Twitter
                Thank you for all the congrats. It was fun winning my hometown half..now to focus on winning the Army Half team award which will be tough. We have 4 runners lined up as the Zone3Sports Speedsters. We have 3 of us who are gunning for around 1;21 and then Ryan who should run sub 1:18. The team award is given to the combined top 3 times from a team. There are near 150 team's registered. The Cdn army, navy and airforce are competing hard for this one so it should be tough.... An hour EZ today...the shins are a little tight from the pounding on the downhills and from wearing my fast shoes at the race on Sunday. For those that are interested Here's a link to my report on trirudy(our local triathlon site): I am the last one on the list: http://www.trirudy.com/region/OE/list/index.cfm and here is the link in the Sudbury Star, I am about half way down the report after the 5k stuff. http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1189774

Recent Best times: None recently

Wow I cannot believe how many posts there are in the dailies these, er, days. Hard to keep up. Ribs I read about your elliptical workout, you get to call this a recovery day. Hopeful congratulations on breaking the 1K mile mark! DickyG if your kids have not learned to clean up after themselves then, sorry, the space debris is your fault. Ok, I have to get some work down now. Yesterday was a 22 miler with my TP. She kind of faded in the last few miles, poor gal. On the other hand come race day she will likely place in her AG so it is tough for me to feel too sorry for her during training! Today was a solo 12 miler. Later on I will have to add it to my RA Training Log. Good day running all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Just back from a nice afternoon run - I had to run at lunch as DW and I have to show one of our apartments (hopefully we'll get it rented before winter comes) anyways - 6.04 miles - 46:55 (7:46) Avg HR 132 Max HR 154 - 67 degrees and 44 % humidity, a really great day for a run along the beaches of York! I really felt great as I started out on my warmup mile and just started dropping it down a notch for each successive mile. I would have loved to go a couple more miles while still picking it up if I had the time, but work beckoned. Mile splits with average heart rate: 8:22 (119) 8:03 (128) 7:56 (132) 7:44 (135) 7:23 (140) 7:09 (145) :16 (153)
                    Tramps

Tramps said a cold front was supposed to be here...he lied. DickyG
                      I know we avoid partisan politics here, so let me be bi-partisan in my response: (For Republicans) Lying? Hey I was just repeating what the weather guy said. I should have known better than to trust the elite liberal media. (For Democrats) Lying? Sorry, I guess I’ve been watching too many John McCain ads. Tall—great race! Carolyn—your runs sound so interesting; great trails and roads and, now, elk too! Good luck in your race!

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

4 miles recovery run this morning in 39:46 a 9:57 pace. My foot felt alot better when I got up this morning, I was not hobbling around like the last few days. Felt fine during my run and still feels ok now. Erika,thanks for the info from Mayo it was very helpful. Have a great day everyone. Bruce
                        That's a relief. How about one more day of easy work, or cross-training, just to make sure that foot is okay. This is no time for Juan Agosto. Did anyone see Busiman's great track workout in yesterday's daily? He did 1200's with a two minute rest interval and did it well. That's a heck of a workout. No wonder he says his legs are heavy today. Maine, that is a textbook progression. You have your pace nailed right now. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

This is no time for Juan Agosto. Spareribs
                          Hey, that's the same line you used on me Smile Bruce, what race are you training for anyways? And don't forget your monthly dues ya know...Ribs is saving up for some new "running" shoes Cool Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Today I thought, this is what running is all about for me, these rare moments when it comes together and I feel so alive, so healthy, so strong.
                            Wait'll you get to be my age and those moments come, maybe, once a year... Undecided I'm just trying to catch up on everyone while sitting here on my front porch using my laptop over the wireless connection (old retired guy, you know). Mary continues to make big progress with a 1000-mile year in September. The only time I hit that mark it took until about November. Then Tall goes out and wins an HM, Ribs is keeping up with his recovery, and everyone is speeding up now that the days are turning cooler. It's been downright fall-like the last couple of days, so I guess I ought to get out there and do some running. If I burn up enough calories, it will pay for our first trip for cider and doughnuts in the next week or so!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

The Jogger

Mary, you are doing FAB !!!!! Roy
                              wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, you've made me look up two of your obscure references today, and I only managed to decipher one of them!
                                Did anyone catch Tramps' neologism "regression run" the other day? Good one.
                                I found the following definitions for neologism: ne·ol·o·gism [nee-ol-uh-jiz-uhm] –noun 1. a new word, meaning, usage, or phrase. 2. the introduction or use of new words or new senses of existing words. 3. a new doctrine, esp. a new interpretation of sacred writings. 4. Psychiatry. a new word, often consisting of a combination of other words, that is understood only by the speaker: occurring most often in the speech of schizophrenics. I assume you're not implying that Tramps is a schizophrenic. Wink
                                That's a relief. How about one more day of easy work, or cross-training, just to make sure that foot is okay. This is no time for Juan Agosto.
                                This one has me stumped. I looked up Juan Agosto, and he's a pitcher. Please explain.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.