Masters Running

Thursday 7/17/2014 (Read 34 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all,

This is a first...never started this thread before.  Where is everyone?  Great runs to all who follow.

This morning it was 63-64F, a slight breeze, and no humidity.  In other words it was perfect running weather.  Before I knew it, instead of running the scheduled easy, I  found myself at tempo pace.  Also wasn't sure if I was schedule to run 5 miles or 6. So I ran 6.  Overall time was 48:04 at around a 7:57 pace. One split was actually 7:36 which surprised even me.

Two days in a row, I had a great run.  Hoping trend continues this weekend.

Enjoy the day.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning Shadow!  Nice couple of runs for you, that last two days.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Great running this morning, Shadow! Isn't amazing how much good weather contributes to our motivation to have a good workout?

Nice of you to pop in to say 'hi,' Mike.

It rained most of yesterday, including some serious downpours in the afternoon. But it all moved out to sea, starting in the evening, and we started to dry out and cool off. This morning, the humidity was still up there (90%), but the temps had cooled to 63, and there was a nice light breeze - not as good as Shadow's weather, but much better that we've had in a while, so I was happy with it. I took a slightly different route for a COP, and went 63. RW miles at a decent tempo pace. I have to go to court this morning for the first hearing in a case - a property owner is suing the town because we are asking them to file for a permit if they want to do forestry in our wetlands. As chair of the conservation commission, the town attorney wants me to be there. This involves an interpretation of state law, and it'll be interesting to see who prevails. I, of course, think we will. Stay tuned...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...good to see ShadowRunner checking in....

=========

..double wgt sessions today........with PT exercises if I can remember to do it......

good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Hi early posters and all who follow,

we've been on the left coast for one week for nephew's wedding and tourist stuff and I haven't been online much.  I was hoping for a Jay summary, but I'll limit to belated bday greetings to Posai and Wildchild.

Ran 3 miles early and now have to look at the pile of mail and all the other stuff that one comes back to, including major bathroom renovation going on.

have a lovely low-humidity day!

marj

Tramps

Nice run, Shadow.

Looks like we had lower humidity than Jay did.  That's a rarity.  And it was relatively cool too.  Doesn't get better than this at this time of year!

Even the deer were frisky this morning.  I saw 5 of them in a line dash across the road and then leap effortlessly over a horse fence, making an arc of several airborne deer at one point.  Pretty cool.

5 miler with 4@ MP-ish.

Enjoy the great running weather, those of you who have it.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Great to see Marj here.

Shadowrunner, thanks for starting the thread for us. Nice running!

Tramps, 4 miles at MP, nice!!

Good luck at the court today, Jay.

No running today for me. We have a lot of forest fires around us and the smoke is really, really bad here, so I decided to rest my wings today.

This may make running the 50k this weekend impossible Sad.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

G'day!

Thanks, shadow, wow, you were zoomin' out there.  Keep it up!

Jay, for the uninitiated (or, just call me stoopid ), what is "do forestry?"  Is he planning on leveling a copse of trees?  Burn them out?  Plant stuff?

Glad you are resting the calf, Erika and also good to know Mari's being prudent about her lungs.

marg and henrun can compare renovation jobs.  Whose will finish last??

Following your respective leads, I didn't run this morning.  Feeling a bit wonky about it, must admit, and hoping to get to Speedsters tonight for a bit of a jog.

So glad the bean recipe worked for you Steve.

twocat, I know.  Remember when we went out and ran a pre-marked course (i.e., one we measured with the car odometer) and just timed ourselves with the Timex stopwatch function?

We just watched a documentary last night, "Bicycle Dreams" about the Race Across America.  Crazy event, makes Western States and Death Valley look tame.  Anyone else see it or know about the event?  They ride from San Diego to Atlantic City in less than 2 weeks.  Cut off is 12 days; the top finishers do it in way less.  Insane.  They barely sleep, they're out in all kinds of traffic, weather, altitudes (e.g., the Rockies).

I got it from the library, but I think it's on Netflix.  Worth seeing it.

Drama in our town: new run shop (The Elite Runner) opening August 2nd just a real stone's throw from the existing one (Run Florida on McGregor).  Seriously, the new one sponsored a 2 mile fun run last night and we ran past the other shop. They're that close.   I truly hope this doesn't get ugly (as in, taking "sides" and all that).

....I did the fun run and tacked on some extra miles for a total 10K.  My first two were 9+ pace, warming up, finding the new place, etc.  The fun run miles were 8 minute miles.  Then a very fast lady from our running group joined me for the run home and those two came in at 7:50.

Love Thursday; hope you are having good ones.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay, for the uninitiated (or, just call me stoopid ), what is "do forestry?"  Is he planning on leveling a copse of trees?

Nothing stupid about teaching new words to old dogs <<<(that would be me and proud of it)>>>.

Thanks.

posie - Is the photo from over there or from what you see from where you are over there?:

ps - no particular reason but does your forestry DH know what "do-forestry" and "copses" are?.

07/20/2014 Leavenworth 8-hour Ultra
                    07/26/2014 White River 50-mile, Crystal Mountain, WA
                    08/09/2014 Rainshadow Angels Staircase 60K, Carlton, WA

08/09/2014 First Call Summer Maerathon/50K, Bothel, WA
                    08/20/2014 Transcendence 12h Ultra, Olympia, WA
                    08/16/2014 Hamster Endurance Runs 24h/12h/6h Ultra, Bellingham, WA 
                    09/02/2014 Sporty Diva Bad Azz Back to Back 50K , Chehalis, WA
                    09/06/2014 Volcanic 50K, Mt. St. Helens, WA 
                    09/21/2014 Self-Transcendence 7h Ultra, Seattle,WA  
                    09/27/2014 Cle Elum Ridge 50K    
                    10/04/2014 Baker Lake 50K, Bellingham, WA 
                    10/11/2014 Defiance 50K, Tacoma, WA  
                    10/19/2014 Evergreen Grand Ridge 50k/26.2,Tacoma, WA  
                    10/26/2014 Cougar Mountain 50K, Seattle,WA 
                    11/01/2014 Carkeek 12h Ultra, Seattle, WA 
                    11/08/2014 First Call Veterans Day 50k/26.2, Bothell, WA 
                    12/14/2014 Rainshadow Deception Pass 50K, Oak Harbor, WA  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Hello Shadow!

Yes Holly, no joke.  The elevators say "Howdy!  Second floor..." etc.

Twocat, re your comments yesterday on "research", right on!  BTW, I'm on a thread here in a discussion group called "RA Bloggers" which is quite interesting.

Since the Saint has come back to running and is running each day with me, her longest so far has been 7.1 miles.  Today we did 8, which is her new longest, same as mine so far, so she is really progressing.  Re my regular, or should I say former RP, she is in FL for the summer and then when she returns, they are moving, so this is all new for my wife and me to run together and a great way to start our day.  And on her days off or workdays, I run with some other people or go by myself so I am meeting new RP's.

It is going to hammer here any minute, all day of rain and lightning, so we were very fortunate to get a good run in and have it done.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

I took a slightly different route for a COP, and went 63. RW miles at a decent tempo pace. 

That's quite a long distance for a Thursday, Jay......

Ribs - nice that you can run with Louse.  And those elevators would annoy me.  I get aggravated enough at some of the grocery stores that are putting up videos by the checkout lines now.  Must we be constantly hit with a barrage of sensory stimuli and advertisements?   Weather.com, too.  I'll pull it up on my computer to check the weather while I am still half-asleep and suddenly the computer is blaring with a video that is playing from one of the tiny weather windows.  

No run for me today, 45 minutes or so of weights and core instead.

Happy Thursday!

ETA - Nancy - that looks scary!  I hope it clears up for you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

this is all new for my wife and me to run together and a great way to start our day. 

Wish I could convince my DH of this! Though I must say, I really do enjoy my "quiet" time

That is an eerie looking sky Mariposai. Good luck with your race.

Welcome back Marj.

Two local running stores that close? You are lucky Amos. We only have one and a bunch of national chains. And nobody who works in the shoe dept at the chain stores ever seems to know much about what they're trying to sell....

I totally agree Holly. I really like "noise-free" places. Wish that when you got put on hold during a phone call you wouldn't be forced to listen to "stuff" all of the time.

I've been opening the Y every day since the person working opposite days as me quit a couple of weeks ago. That means getting up every morning at 3:45 to be to work by 4:30. I am TIRED! I decided to mix it up today and did 40 minutes of cardio, 30 minutes of weights and core work and swam/pool ran for 30 minutes. Now I think I need either a nap for a big cup of French roast coffee!

evanflein anybody that is patient enough to wait out winter in Alaska is certainly patient enough to wait out anything else!

stumpy77 pretty cool that Louisville plays call to the starting gate!  I know I would get a bit of a chuckle out of it.  Good for whoever thought to do that.

Fletch_NC not a bad group to be in!  My guess is your training is a lot better for their presence.

shadow runner it seems to have been quite some time since we saw the sun here in New England!  Glad it is back.  Nice pace today too!

tetsujin209 things work without batteries!  How!?    Maybe they were just those rechargeable ones that you cannot change?  Those could be mistaken for a watch without batteries.  You know, like a Garmin maybe.  

Mariposai you have a good heart.    (Once again, yes, I think I am funny.)

SteveP how many Billy's are there?

coastwalker just be a bit patient.  (Maybe talk to evanflein.)  The dry sunny weather is coming your way!  Have fun in court!

tomwhite okay I got  the PT exercise part.  Personally I have a memory like a steal sieve so I hope yours it better.

mrrun major bathroom renovation?  Maybe this is a good time to go on another trip.

Tramps I do not know about where you are but here those deer are a big problem.  I no longer think how cute, but how much environmental and other damage is that pack going to do.

AamosY running without a Garmin?  Is it possible?  People did that?  I might have done that!  No, no, no!!!!  About those two running stores, just think competition!  One way or the other, local runners are guaranteed to win no matter what!

Spareribs thanks.  I will look into RA Bloggers.  As to running, very impressive recovery you have going there!  Heck, you are now going as far as I am and I did not have surgery!  MTA:  Just looked over the thread.  The problem there is you are the only actual professional writer on it!  I thought about adding my two cents but putting up with resulting uproar is not worth it.  You are 100% correct, the point of writing something is to have people read it.  When it comes to a blog or anything else shorter is always better.  Your 600 word cap was great advice, too bad so many there are so self involved that they will not recognize it.  In my profession, I tell my colleagues to get to explain their first real result within their article's first 3 paragraphs, and this is for a paper that may well be 60 pages long.  Why?  Because, many readers will not go past the 3rd paragraph if they are not hooked by then.  Plus, the vast majority of readers will never get past the introduction's first two or three pages so it better contain everything you really want to communicate!

Holly S. after yesterday's intervals your legs deserve a break today.  Not like in a broken leg or anything but like a vacation break, but not like a real vacation where you know there are several days off . . . I think I better just quit here.

Today my Garmin was charged!  Heck, my DW's was as our backup too!  Just needed one though.  Off for 8 miles with zombies in chase.  But, there is a problem with my cell phone's GPS and either the carrier belt I have or the way I have it in the belt.  Does anybody here know if it matters to the GPS if a phone's front face is towards or away from your body?  The cell phone's distance calculation is way off from what my Garmin has.  Now a Garmin's accuracy may not be good enough to measure a race course with but it is not that bad either!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Great recap Twocat!!

I slept in a bit but managed 5.7 miles with 4 at tempo pace before church and prayer group this morning.  Certainly felt easier without the humidity this morning!!  Had a root canal for a tooth abscess this afternoon and now I must toddle off to bed for a nap -- no likely the aftereffects of the lidocaine and drilling Sad

denise

After being away from here for over a week, I'm not even gonna try to catch up.

Congrats on the B2B great runs, Shadow.  Nice feeling, huh?

Ribs - How wonderful that you and your DW are running together.

Jay - 63 this morning??  Dang, son.  You ARE speedy.

Posie - Yuck on the air quality.    Fire season is going to be ugly here, too.

Well, as some of you know, Mt. Hood didn't go so well for me.  I posted a short report in our forum.  But live and learn, eh?  I did have a great, relaxing time, though.  Drove up to Portland last Tues, found a fantastic Goodwill store in Eugene, OR, which I hit on the way back, too.  Probably the highlight of my travels.   Karen was moving Tues, but by the time I got there everything was in her apt (as I had planned), so we unpacked a few boxes, then Wed left to go camp up near Mt. Hood for a few days before the race, and her sister joined us on Thurs.  Sunday when we all got back to Portland, we knocked out almost all of the rest of her packed boxes.

Today was my first run since Saturday - an EZ 3 that felt good, except for a little bit of knee soreness.  It'll pass.

That's about it.  Later, Dudes and Dudettes ~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance