Masters Running

Saturday Springy Sprints & Runs 3/7 (Read 389 times)

Teresa, nice photo!! They should be proud. Holly - also try to remember what it was like a few months ago when you were having trouble stringing two of those miles together. Very impressive run! I did 6 on the TM, after driving thru a giant slushy (rain first, turned to hail, which turned to snow). It was hot and crowded as you'd expect and so I only managed two tempo miles at 6.7mph and the rest were easy. Then 15 min on the bike, and 30 min on the stairmill. Tomorrow, I want to do 16, and it will be snowing!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enke--you say that like it's a bad thing Wink Holly--I'm envisioning a fast 5K for you. Very nice consistancy on the MP miles. Hope it's not too warm for your race. PJ--I'm reminded of my FIL's method for estimating the time a home project will take: "take your first estimate, double it, then take the next higher unit of time" and you;ll be close. Wink Teresa--Congrats to your DS and teammates. That's a pretty impressive time. and even though he's disappointed about his 2 mile, under 5 minute miles is nothing to sneeze at. Hope you saw me waving back. Happy Sunday runs to everyone. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Teresa, what a good looking boy, and congrats to him and his team. Okay Holly, two more of my cents and I will shut up. Unlike Stumpy, I am not envisioning a fast fiveK for you because I strongly hope you will not taper or adjust your workouts to accommodate it. Train right through it and keep your eye on the real prize which is the marathon. Let us suppose you are running 50 mpw, and now you have a fiveK next Saturday. It would be very tempting to ease off your mileage, take Friday off, etc., all to have this race be successful. In fact, you should do the opposite. Be sure to run on Friday, although don't do any speedwork except perhaps some strides, and approach Saturday's race as if it just another training day. Don't cut back on mileage at all. Your race will be harder this way, and your time may not be as fast as it would be if you gave yourself a bit of rest, but it will help your training immensely. There is also the possibility that you will surprise yourself and have a great race. Don't rule it out. Larry, I am not ready to race. I am in Phase One of three phases of my recovery plan. Phase One means that I am going to cap my weekly mileage at 40 and no more, and run 40/week until I am sure I am comfortable with that weekly mileage and not fatigued. I am pleased that I am not feeling that right glute/ham injury any more at all, thanks to the good core work I am faithful about doing. In Phase Two, which I expect to begin around April I am going to gradually begin adding some quality miles, just two workouts a week, one on the track and one on weekends incorporating a few faster pace 800's and miles into my normal long run. This phase will last all through the summer. None of this speed will include VO2 max work, but I may run an occasional race just for the fun and social aspects of it. I miss racing and really only run to race. In Phase Three I am going to sharpen with speed, run some key races and kick the asses of all the slow people who are passing me on the running paths today. I estimate I will be there by November. Thanks for asking. Spareribs
          Teresa - Great photo! Holly - You'll do great. Listen to Ribs, for one thing, and another, don't forget you'll be tapering before the marathon, and you definitely gain back energy. I feel the same leading up to a trail run, but have to remember that I get at least 2 weeks of tapering. Home and Garden Shows - I always want to spend waaaay too much money. And speaking of gardens, I walked around my front and back yards today and realize I have lots of work ahead of me. Some of my plants didn't make it through all the various freezes. Oh well. My first trail run in over a month today. Did 5.60 in 1:24:27 before I called it quits 'cause my tummy was getting sore, but nothing some ibu didn't help take care of. Karen is in recovery mode after a 50k then a week of skiing, so we walked the ups and ran the downs. And boy were my quads tired! But it felt really good to be out there again after so long. The Foggy Bottoms Milk Run is tomorrow, so the regular running club that puts in a few miles on Saturday wasn't there. We basically had the forest to ourselves. Very nice!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

I ran marathon #199 today. Flat bike trail and ok (cold) weather. And it was one of my 10 slowest ever, not counting the insanely hard trail races. Of course, I stopped at M20 for about 15 minutes to eat soup. This is a true story.

teresa....nice pic of the runners (and your son). Lopez....congrats on 199 4 easy miles for me this afternoon....80F and windy. run, run, run for the roses quicker it opens, the sooner it closes man, oh, man, oh, friend of mine all good things in all good time. RH
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job, SR! I guess after you've run 198 marathons, a few minutes here and there don't mean much! Do you have special plans for your 200th marathon?
                xor

Good job, SR! I guess after you've run 198 marathons, a few minutes here and there don't mean much! Do you have special plans for your 200th marathon?
                  Not really. If I wanted to pick a special one, I'd have to time it out juuuuust so... or wait. I'm not waiting. Assuming real life doesn't get in the way (knock on linoleum), it'll be Little Rock next week. They do a great job with their race, so it's a nice coincidental choice. Then I'm going to spend a week helping to take care of my dad. I kind of wanted to make Yakima (4/4) be my 201st. My friend Jack died last year from the same little condition that I have. He managed exactly 200 marathons in his life and I'd like to do his 201st for him in front of his friends. Alas, I'll probably run 1-2 in between Little Rock and Yakima. Close enough. I'll still do Yakima in my Jack shirt. Unless Jack's widow doesn't want me to do that. In which case I'll be in paink.

dg.

I ran marathon #199 today. Flat bike trail and ok (cold) weather. And it was one of my 10 slowest ever, not counting the insanely hard trail races. Of course, I stopped at M20 for about 15 minutes to eat soup. This is a true story.
                    congratulations. you are amazing. slow? well, weren't you sick just a few days ago? what kind of soup?
                    xor

congratulations. you are amazing. slow? well, weren't you sick just a few days ago? what kind of soup?
                      I have been sick, but I'm mostly better. It was chicken noodle. But it tasted like it was from-scratch soup made by the top soup gourmet soup person in the world (and, no, not the soup nazi). Amazing how stuff tastes soooo good when you are really, truly hungry. Some days are fast. Some days are slow. Some days it rains.

wildchild

Carolyn

And some days it snows! (Hey, that rhymes!) SRL, congrats on #199. The 201st for Jack sounds like a really nice idea, too. Teresa, nice pic of your son and his team. I didn't feel like running in the snow, so I went to the rec center and did 5 miles on the indoor track followed by upper body weights. DD stayed home, as she's still sick, poor kid. Tomorrow she's talked me into taking her and a friend to the new Watchmen movie - the IMAX version.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.