Masters Running

Sunday, April 10 Runs and Races and Stuff (Read 430 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Well I wish I had as good of a report to give as the rest of you. Unfotunately, I had my worst marathon ever. It was 70 and 25 mph winds at the start. Jeff Galloway was there and was warning everybody to take it easy with this heat. He said for every 5 degrees over 60, you should add 30 second to your mile pace. Well, obviously, he didn't mean a seasoned marathoner, such as myself. They started marathoners, half marathoners, and matathon relayers at the same time, so I knew people were going to go out fast and I told myself, "don't go with them!" 1st mile was downhill with the wind to our backs. I went with them. 6:14. I said, "look, you idiot, slow down right now!" (I talk to myself a lot during races) 2nd mile was 7:09. Well, I didn't slow down that much. 3rd mile 6:19. Okay so, obviously, the mile markers are worthless. 4th mile 6:55. That's more like it. 5th mile...get ready...5:14. Why do they even have mile markers if they're this far off? 6th mile 8:49. Whatever. 7th mile 7:24. 8th mile 6:56. 9th mile 7:24. And this is where it all goes to crap! The person assigned to tell people to make a sharp left wasn't there. I went straight. I didn't realize I was wrong until I got to 7 minutes and there was no marker, yet. All of sudden the woman leader came running back down the path cussing up a storm. I turned around and we both ran like crazy to get back on course. We cut across a field--I sprinted across that field--and when I hit pavement, my quads instantly seized up. I've never had that experience, before. I finally got back on course, yelling at a traffic controller along the way. Mile 10 12:20. There's really no reason to give anymore splits...mentally I was done. I am very dissapointed in myself for, basically, quitting. I am also very dissapointed in myself for the way I treated the volunteers the rest of the way. I was ticked. Anyway, 3:40 was my time. Somehow, I ended up winning the Masters division and received a nice plaque from Jeff Galloway. So, I guess, I really shouldn't complain. And, to be honest, this course was a whole lot tougher than I expected. I don't think I would have gotten under 3 even in my younger days. So, that's it. Time to recover and get ready for the next one--I mean two. Man, what a dumb idea that was! Leslie--nice to hear your dealing with your situation.
    HermosaBoy

Sorry for the less than stellar experience Mike.  At least you got some hardware.  No $$$????

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mike E

MM #5615

Yeah, I got $50 gift certificate at a local running store. Went and bought a new watch.
        OrangeMat

MM #6177

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Mike E}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Be kind to yourself, friend. There will be other races. And while I know it's not the point, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that a 3:40 would be a well-coveted time by many in this group.

Life isn't always about Plan A. It's how we handle Plan B that matters.

SteveP

You are amazing Holly

Slo...DD#2 rocks.

Holy Dynamic Stretching!

Love the picture Robin!!!

Ed Whitlock....Wow

You rock even better than yesterday Tammy!!! Sweet!!!! Of course run it for fun...That's the point.

Nice 15 Larry!!! It's good to see you back

Wow Rob...after 8 huh???

Good luck with the spring cleaning Erika..I got chores too. Once I get started it's kinda fun, however...the getting started...

(((((DG)))))...Tag wants to lick your face, but I told him that's bad manners. So he had ice cream instead. Bless your right choices.

I'd be ticked too Mike...Been in that situation during a 10K...Um twice...and during a du athlon actually...once in a tri too. (Deep breaths Stevie...it's ancient history)...I still took 2nd AG in the du athlon though.

Last spring DD#2 bought a camera on line. She took a picture of Noah on one of his first runs with it. The battery charger is sold separately. The USB cord I was able to get at (gasp) Wal-Mart. The instructions were extra.  However, the software to up load it is sold separately. Thank goodness it takes an standard SD card. After nearly a year, here's the look on our grandson's face when he first started running with Grampy:

Noah Running

I stayed up way past my bed time to get this too. Sorry for the size.

Thursday, he said, "Can we go racin' Grampy?'...When I told him that there weren't any races for a while, he replied, "Maybe we can last month......Can we go run run run?" And we did.

MTA: DW, Tag and I went for a trail adventure...Too short, so we picked up FIL and his Samoyed, (The one I accidentally tinted green while they were out of town on St Patrick's Day) We went for a hike on the North Country Trail. MIL got a break......

SteveP

Mariposai

. And, to be honest, this course was a whole lot tougher than I expected. I

Congrats first. Wow...you had a heck of a day, but yet ran a great marathon.

Thanks for regreting to treat the volunteers nicely. I have been a race director to a totally free event, yeap....not a penny charged to the racer, but yet on a strong windy day the directional markers where blown away...and yes!!! I was shewed up by the "anal" athletes...as if I could have control over mother nature...anyway...organizing an race is a huge responsibility and many of us don't remember that our meager registration money does not cover all the expenses...anyway...great race for you Mike.

And a huge congrats to TImbo for BQying!!! and he ran another race today!!!Shy

Anyway, two easy miles with DH, then fun time catching up with friend...then some two hours or *hard labor* to benefit my garden...then schezuan meal cooking for the gang...and now ready to melt under the cozy blanket.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Bummer about going off course, Mike E, but it happens. You still pulled it together and finished well. Maybe not by your terms, but like OM said, it's a time a lot of us would be very happy with! Congrats on the hardware.

15.2 miles for me today, and that gives me 54.9 for the week. Rats. If I'd known that, I'd have gone for another .1 mile to round up to 55!! Oh well. No biggie. Average pace for this run was 8:06, and basically the same as yesterday but with a big hill added and an out-and-back for the additional 5 miles. My miles this week are up a bit, but the average pace for the week was 8:13. Time to schedule (and make sure I do) some easier and/or recovery runs this week.

ETA: DH fixed my treadmill today! So after we got home and had dinner underway, I went down to give it a short test run to see if the tension was right. It was. yay! and .2 more miles gives me 55.1 for the week.  Big grin

I only wish I could run 3:40 Mike, so congrats for Masters Award. 2 mile recovery run today. Temp was 80 and humid here today so the heat was a issue  Run well all.