Masters Running

Friday 1/18/24 Winter Weather Runs and Workouts (Read 39 times)

When I hear doctors giving advice based on a what a "room full of them would vote for", my reaction is, "so you actually have no studies suggesting anything, one way or another." If they did, then you would not need votes. Just to see, I went to Google scholar to see what I can dig up on hip replacements and running. Basically nothing. One study looking at people with hip replacements who ran the UTMB (!!) was interesting, but did not indicate if such high intensity exercise helped, hurt, or did nothing to the joint's long term use. Amazingly, quite a few finished the race. Here is the money quote, "The race was finished by 3 of the 6 runners with a total hip arthroplasty (THA), all of the 8 runners with a hip resurfacing arthroplasty (HRA) and 3 of the 4 runners with a total knee arthroplasty (TKA)." If you want to read the paper, it is at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877056820302930.

RCG sorry to have jinxed you into overdressing. Or maybe I just stole your good judgement for the day! I went out for 5 miles in 26 degree weather and called the outfit about as well as I could hope.

The race I planned to run on Sunday has been postponed a week due to ice on the course. That is fine, I can run it next week and it is supposed to be about 10 degrees warmer.

Has anyone run the Wilmington NC marathon? It takes place on February 24 and I am planning to sign up for it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I need to look into this 'Yellowstone' series thing so I can have a good excuse for my hot flashes; thanks RA women!

Nothing again for me, except some sprints up and down my hallway to test the knee (all ok). Too many last minute work requests messing up with my exercise plans. Looking forward to a nice meet-up with Tet, Marj, and Henry tomorrow!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I actually like the Indian chief- or whatever his title is.  And 1883 with Tim McGraw is fantastic!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I liked the way the surgeon spoke to Ralph. The room full of surgeons example demonstrated that the studies don't give us a definitive answer and these physicians had varying results with their patients. Their patients' outcomes led them not to recommend running as an activity beneficial to post total hip replacement patients. Dr C knows Ralph's running history therefore he felt he could give him a bit of hope regarding running.

I've not run Wilmington NC. The route looks like it is parallel to a highway for a while.

There are some nice beaches near there. But it could be cold.

Oh. Wait. You're from CT. Nevermind about cold.

In other news. Marianne and I thoroughly trounced the men at bridge this evening.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I guess I never realized how much you women like horses.

I got in 6 on the treadmill, then lifted weights with Zac, then took Debbie out for her birthday… today, is he actual birthday.

Okay—that’s all I got.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"The race was finished by . . . 3 of the 4 runners with a total knee arthroplasty (TKA)." 

Twocat - I wish Dr Knee would say something like that instead of always being so constantly negative and noncommittal, "it depends on the person," etc.

Fortunately, PT Torture-man more than makes up for Dr Knee and, even though I just finished seven weeks on the walker, after putting me on the cane for the last three days since last Tuesday's session that I figured would last well into February, when we went out to do the stair work for the first time, after a couple of tries that weren't that bad, he said, "give me that cane and try going up the first flight without it" adding that "your legs are strong enough that you don't need it" so "start walking without it, maybe just keeping it for balance on uneven surfaces, etc." so that's just what I've been doing all day, perfect timing for tomorrow's meetup up with the king and queen of our RA running group fot them to think that I'm perfectly normal, after all

ps deezie - and Dr  torture didn't even add "for your age."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I guess I never realized how much you women like horses.

Happy Birthday to Debbie.  The Hub's is tomorrow, but he got his pizza and ice cream today.

30 min of core and mobility work this evening.  Tomorrow it's a 100% chance of rain and a lot of wind.  Should make for an interesting run.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Holly - Thank you for getting things rolling.

Tammy - I hope the horse has been found by now.

Rochrunner - I love your itinerary.

Tetsujin209 is stepping into rebound mode!!!

Happy Birthday Debbie!

Happy Birthday To Be Shorty!

Friday, I slept until nearly 3:00 AM!  I woke up with zero hip pain.  My treadmill routine and online PT would very much aggravate this, and I really wanted a break from the pain.  I hit it anyway.  2 miles on the mill then the online PT as well as my homework from the in-person PT.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

The room full of surgeons example demonstrated that the studies don't give us a definitive answer and these physicians had varying results with their patients. Their patients' outcomes led them not to recommend running as an activity beneficial to post total hip replacement patients.

I don't agree.  It is likely that few of these doctors are athletes, fewer still are runners, and the same goes for their patients, so most of them would be giving an opinion, not based on actual outcomes.  We have all had non-athletic doctors give us overly cautionary advice because they lump us in with their overweight, sedentary and/or elderly patients because they are not accustomed to people who work out on a regular basis.  I agree with Matt that an actual study would be much more helpful.

Happy belated birthday to Debbie!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly / RCG - for sure.  Any doctor who recommends anything is subject to getting sued if it doesn't work out, ergo so mine won't give any assurance about running, or anything else, other than "it depends on the person" but it would be nice if they would, at least, give some hope by referencing the kinds of studies twocat linked of just facts and not opinions to a particular patient that can be sued on.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I don't agree.  It is likely that few of these doctors are athletes, fewer still are runners, and the same goes for their patients, so most of them would be giving an opinion, not based on actual outcomes.  We have all had non-athletic doctors give us overly cautionary advice because they lump us in with their overweight, sedentary and/or elderly patients because they are not accustomed to people who work out on a regular basis.  I agree with Matt that an actual study would be much more helpful.

I understand what you and Matt are saying.  However. The way in which Dr C spoke to Ralph was completely appropriate for his situation. These surgeons have to clearly explain the pros and cons of post op activities. Someone who needs a hip replacement for any reason should be treated with respect and given the evidence based information available at the time. Dr C prefaced his comments with studies that have been done.  There are a lot of variables that cannot be controlled in medical studies using real patients. How would one fund such a study? Who would volunteer to be in the control group? These surgeons are not the ones conducting the research. How could they be?Anyway. I understand your negative response.  The physicians have to take conservative positions when prescribing post operative care. They risk malpractice claims if a patient has a bad outcome.

Also. Value based medicine protocols reimburse on outcomes, not procedures. If a surgical practice has a certain number of readmissions, they can be dropped from the network.

We have to realize the world in which we live. We have to take responsibility for making the correct decisions for ourselves. As do the surgeons.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

I like your fuller explanation, and you do make good points - thank you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."