Masters Running

Sunday May 31 Runs and Whatnot (Read 499 times)

xor

26.2 miles (2 easy, 17 @ marathon pace, 9 easy... and no, not because I hit any form of bonking wall. Rather, because the 17 MP is what my workout called for today).  And 3 miles walking to/from my hotel.  

San Diego Rock and Roll is one of the big TNT races... and today I learned a really odd quirk.

Unlike other rnr full marathon events, SD only has a full... no half.  Their website says this in several places, and their slogan is even "...the full experience".  They are proud that it is specifically a full.

Except.

Well, I think TNT does their own half.  As I was walking from the finish back to the parking area (a half mile walk), I noticed lots of TNTers walking the other way... I assume to cheer on their friends.  Many of these folks had full marathon bibs and a medal.  Now, I'm not the fastest guy out there, but I finished at 3:37... if all these people had finished in front of me and had time to walk the 1 mile round trip to the parking area and back, then there were a hell of a lot of 3 hour marathoners of both genders.  Some who surely didn't look like the typical 3 hour marathoner.

So I looked more carefully at their medals.  They were different.  (mind you, there WAS an official relay, but their bibs were a different color and their medals also not like these).

Huh.  I also noticed after the halfway point that the course got a bit less congested.  However, I did not notice a special finish line.

Something fishy happened here.  Big time.

Edited to add: no, it's not like I saw a few people walking back and might be overreacting.  An event this size DOES have quite a few 3 hour types... but seriously, it was a TON of folks and they did indeed have different medals with purple lanyards (ribbons?).  TNT's color is purple.  The normal medals for the full had red lanyards.

13.1 miles on a little jaunt from the town of Dexter to Ann Arbor on an IRC day. Plus, met up with MarkGuy and got to see dg for the 2nd time within a few weeks (eat your heart out, Ribs!).

RR to follow, but it was all good.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Was scheduled for 10, but my calves hurt so dang bad, I could only manage 7.5.  I've been walking around as much as possible today, but every time I get up after being stationary for awhile, I look like I'm walking with cob up my puttootee until my calves loosen up again.  Agh!  Good thing tomorrow is a rest day.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Dg - I keep meaning to send you the pictures of our landscaping efforts, but then I keep adding more plants and having to take new pictures...

Ribs... love that RR.  

Teresa, 23 years rocks!!!

Your day sounds great Walt

Lossen  up quick Leslie

We had an early mass this AM because of local graduations. DS is one. The last one till GS in 17 years give or take. Tag an I went for an early mile on leash. I held one end, he held the other. It wasn't hooked to his collar. On the way back, he saw the house and started pulling me the other way. After church, the was a brunch for graduates and their families.

DW and DS drove to graduation. I walked the mile or so up there.  DW got all tearey eyed. I got to thinkin', "no more conferences". Then...the plays are done. The superintendent is a runner. The kids and some of the parents ask about racing for themselves...Then I started tearing up. And the kids getting their diplomas. Then more food.

That's (left to right) DD#3, DD#1, DS#1 and DD#2

DS#1&#2

Then I tilled the garden and hoed around a bit.

SteveP

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations to your son and family, Steve!  Wow, I would be teary-eyed, too.  Getting 4 kids through high school is a big accomplishment!

Slo

Congrats Steve.....Thanks for the photos

I just got my 1st graduated......she'll be off toHawaii on the 3rd of June.

Two more to go then I can buy that 2 bedroom house !

wildchild

Carolyn

Perch, welcome back!  We've missed you.
                Teresa, happy anniversary to you and your DH.
                Ribs, you're such a sandbagger,but congrats on the 1st OA - you're a podium finisher!
                Nice racing too for the Saint, Karin, Doug, Robert, Walt, Lulu, and Ellie!

This morning I did a nice 3 mile hike in the local state park with DH, DD, and the two DDogs.  Then this afternoon I did a 7.6 mile trail run in the same park to scope out the trail race next weekend.  Yowza!  What a trail.  My average pace was 14:11 - fastest mile was 10:14 and slowest was 20:37.   That mile was straight uphill.  There were also about a dozen creek crossings on single or double logs.  Not sure I want to actually race this trail.  Maybe I'll just volunteer to work the race instead.  

Holly, I hope your trail 50K is kinder and gentler!

Here's an elevation profile of the trail I ran, from the race website:

This is the 7 mile course, with 2,300 ft elevation gain/loss.  There's also a 12 mile course, with 5,000 ft gain/loss, and a 50K with 12,000 ft gain/loss.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Spareribs give back the trophy!  What are you people all nuts!?  Heck it is so rare that I get one they would have to pry it from my cold dead fingers!  To be honest, my guess is that even before rigor mortis set in a saw would be needed!  Anyway, a 1 AG is a 1 AG in my book especially after all you have been through.  Congratulations! 

srlopez I have to stop reading your posts!    Geez you run marathons like I do gym workouts.  Given I am nearly at month four with zero miles your reports are just like totally depressing dude. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Ribs--that's quite a RR!  I was wondering about your earlier post.

Robert--but can they self-report their times as BQs?  That's the gold standard of races.

wildchild--wow!  Just wow.

Leslie--what's up with the calves?  

Nice family stuff from Walt and Steve today.  

Be safe. Be kind.

Carolyn - 12,000 feet of gain/loss for a 50k??  Holy crapola!

Tramps - Re the calves, too rigorous of a strength training workout on Friday after none for a few weeks due to sore ankle, combined with a 16-mile trail run yesterday and 7.5 today has them extremely unhappy.  Very, very tight and painful.  I look like an old lady trying to walk around.  My friend says, "no pain, no gain."  Well, whateva!  I can run when I'm in hurting, achy, etc., but you have to actually be able to move in the first place.  The calves appear to play a significant role in that respect and they are PO'd.  Oh well.  Should be feeling better by Tues.

Anybody have a Blue-ray player?  Any comments - Good, bad, ugly.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Carolyn brings new meaning to running some hills.

Lots of stuff going on around here, but the news about the kids graduating and getting awards is just the best of it all.

12 miles for me today, getting me to 43.7 for the week. I think I need a rest day.

sunadvocate

Hello Everyone,

May is Skin Cancer month and just wanted to wish you all a safe run while outside.

The UV rays do drive me crazy. Every morning is a cause for another load of sun protection clothing, UV sunglasses and sunscreen for the uncovered skin. However lately, there is such thing called "UV sleeves" which should take care of the arms as well.

Overall, everyone must practice sun safety regardless of their condition. A far worse scenario could be Malignant Melanoma !

Please have fun, but be careful out there. I have read terrible stories about being exposed to the sun and ultimately taking its toll. Nowadays, the environment has changed and it bombards us with ultraviolet radiation on a daily basis. When you are walking, all the rays are constantly being reflected off the pavement, the sand, the concrete and building around you.

Always stay protected and avoid the UV rays.