Masters Running

40's, 50's, 60's + On The Run w/e 4/17/11 (Read 471 times)

I need to conquer this one. It's my nemisis. It has mocked me. It's time for me to b%#tchslap it upside it's evil little head.

Think I'm motivated enough? Evil

I think you need to figure out your real motivation for running this marathon.  This just doesn't have that "ring of truth" to it. Big grin

Cindy - That sounds like the same vest Arla bought for AR50.  I think she really liked it.

Arla - How'd the easy run go yestereday?

Hi, Mr. Ev.

40 min of pool running last night.  Got tired of the splashing kids, and the parents were giving me "looks." (Okay, maybe they were just curious as to why this woman is moving r-e-a-l-l-y- slow  back and forth in the deep end.)  At least that's my excuse for not staying in for an hour - besides the fact it's so . . . incredibly . . . booooooring! Gawd!

Planned to get up this a.m. and ride the stationary bike and do some core, but it was pouring buckets outside.  I erred on the side of caution since with my luck lately, trying to navigate a wet porch and soaked lawn could have left me on the ground and injured.  Might be able to exercise when I get home tonight.  We'll see.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

...funny how some of these "creaks" disappear a cpl miles in & resurface about the time I've been sitting too long, or first thing in the morning for a little bit?!

Boy, I'll say. Can't sit around too long, that's for sure.

Leslie - you have a way of making those pool runs sound so...zzzzzzz...Sleepy How much longer?

Got home yesterday around 2:30 between morning and night classes, next thing I knew I was waking up on the couch and it was 4 pm! So much for yesterday's run. Finally got in an easy 4 today, everything felt normal, just movin' a little slower than usual. Smile

Ex runner

Leslie - you have a way of making those pool runs sound so...zzzzzzz...Sleepy How much longer?

I go back to the ortho tomorrow.  I'm not confident he'll let me do any running any time soon as I can feel the foot isn't 100%.  But even if he puts me in a boot cast, I don't care so long as I can ditch these frigging crutches.  And yeah, pool running - The Big Snooze!

Glad you're feeling so good!

I managed a 30 min stationary bike ride this a.m., followed by 45 min of core/strength training.  My arms are toast right now. 

Later, gators ~

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey all!

Good luck tomorrow Leslie...but, yeah, I doubt (if it is indeed a stress fracture) that you'll be allowed to resume much just yet.

While it's always good to have my trade education to fall back on in certain instances, why, oh why do I need to try things out quite so personally!?  Took a rest day yesterday - which didn't seem to help at all. Thinking hard about how my quad really feels, & why is it tightening up more overnight than anything? Hmmm, so, went out for a few today...real easy, run/walk...again, as I go, it warms up &  loosens up till I'm almost running normally by the end..I did stop & do a cpl hip/glute stretches, which seemed to help even further! ...hrs later, after shopping, housework, etc. it still feels pretty good!?? My thoughts are that my "problem" is not in my quad, but a sciatic impingement - ie: blasted piriformis! grumble grumble...However, that means that I'm taking a tennis ball into the tub w/me & if that's not enough, I'll go have one of my therapist friends put a knee into my butt & viola! ~ I should be able to resume running as normal

Off I go now to a Marshall Ulrich book signing/movie preview!   Have a Great eveing!~!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            I'm taking a tennis ball into the tub w/me & if that's not enough, I'll go have one of my therapist friends put a knee into my butt & viola!

This could be taken in so many directions.  But I won't go there.  Nope, not me.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

This could be taken in so many directions.  But I won't go there.  Nope, not me.

See! Even when I hand you a freebie!!!  Wink

Marshall Ulrich is an amazing man!!! I have a fresh, autographed copy of the new book, "Running on Empty," which I can't wait to dig into, especially after seeing the DVD, "Running America" last night, which chronicles his 2008 cross continental run from San Francisco to New York, & hearing him speak & be spoken about!! ...I really felt like I was crashing a private party last night! So many of the ppl there have either participated in his many amazing ultra feats, either as athletes or support "staff" (friends & relatives) or are themselves "significant" ultra athletes!!   It was verrrry kewl to chat & rub elbows with these ppl!! I'm still a little giddy!  When we first got there, we were asked how we found out about it..., maybe because we were amongst a minority that he didn't know personally, yet are "local?"  & I just said that Dean send us a note - he did - via facebook...I mean, he HAS like 4500 "friends!!" Wink..& Marshall himself said, "THE Dean? As in, we don't need a last name, Dean?" Cool  well, gee!

Lots to do today....some of which will def involved running!

Have a Great Day everyone!!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

This just doesn't have that "ring of truth" to it. Big grin

Right you are again Leslie. I regret using the language I did. Must have thought I was in the Swamp. I hope everyone knows that I meant it figuratively and not to be taken literally. I apologize if that's the case.

Down in Florida with Dad and my Sister's family. Outside of Orlando and down here until Monday. Going to have to get up earlier to run. Went this morning at 8am, 75* and cloudy but on the way home was up to 80* and very humid. Have to remember to not over do it in the heat.

Hey Joe...about your race......maybe you could just put your knee in its butt.  

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - hope you got good news on your progress.

Cindy - ah, our old friend piriformis...tennis ball + massage does seem to work, although the knee in the butt technique is something I haven't experienced!

Joe - don't think anyone was offended...go ahead and b%^@slap that race! Smile Be careful in that heat.

Ev - heh.

Hey to everyone else. Happy Friday, and for me the start of spring break! I'm off to Belize at oh-dark-thirty tomorrow morning. Don't plan to do any running down there, but lots of cross-training: hiking, tubing, kayaking, snorkeling, even some stair work on some Mayan ruins. Oh, and working with some of those little hand-held weights that look just like rum-filled pineapples. Big grin Hopefully I won't come back with dengue like my paranoid friend mentioned. 

Ex runner

Have fun, Arla!  It's a well-deserved break.

Joe- Offended? You must have us confused with another, more neurotic group.  Now go forth and conquer that SOB!

I had a less than stellar appointment with the doc, which ended with me still on crutches and needing to schedule a bone scan.  I told him it was probably 30-40% better, which he said was good, but not good enough.  He told me I had to be more conscientious about the contrast baths, so my buddy, Karen, is going to get me a couple of bed pans that I can use here at work.

I really could've used some good news today.  With all the other crap going on my life right now, this just so totally and completely sucks.  But, I guess that's the way the cookie is crumbling right now.

Oops - 5:00.  I'm heading home.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

lamerunner

{{{{Leslie}}}}

Okay.  It's another day.  And another 40 min of pool running.  That's about all the time I seem to be able to muster after my initial 1 hr run.  Plus, the deep end was getting busy with the better Special Olympic swimmers, and I didn't want to interfere.

My brother is driving up today for he and I to take my dad out to dinner for his 70th birthday.  It should be a nice time.

Later -

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Yup, just keep your oars in the water - so to speak, Leslie  Wink  Sorry your Dr didn't have better news for you yet...while it isn't unexpected, it isn't what we'd hoped for.  Sometimes, there's a very good reason for the breaks that our bodies demand we take... who knows but, this too shall pass. You'll come back stronger, faster, tougher! Of that, I have no doubt!

I got in a super easy 4.25 about 7:30 this am on surprisingly busy trails! Mostly dog walkers but, a few "serious looking" runners.  Pristinely beautiful morning here! Clear blue, just past sunrise skies, dead calm (as in, no wind for a change!), slightly damp - coffee, bacon & freshly "waking up" Spring foliage scenting the air!  Lots of birds & pretty muted tfc sounds...I least I wasn't paying attention to any!  Approve    ~dead slammed schedule, otherwise I'd have stayed out for more! 

Dug into a few pages of the, "Running on Empty," book....pretty good so far. I'll let you know...

Ciao!~

Pristinely beautiful morning here! Clear blue, just past sunrise skies, dead calm (as in, no wind for a change!), slightly damp - coffee, bacon & freshly "waking up" Spring foliage scenting the air!  Lots of birds & pretty muted tfc sounds...I least I wasn't paying attention to any!  Approve   

So glad I logged in to read this description....beautiful! 

Leslie, it sure seems like troubles come in bunches, doesn't it?  Hang in there, and maybe we'll talk you into swimming yet.  You're already riding the staionary bike, and we know you can run once things heal up, so.......not that I'm trying to convert you or anything, but doesn't ironman have a nice ring to it? Smile

We are likely moving my FIL again...from memory care (aka alzheimers) to assisted living.  Had a good meeting with the wonderful lady who is helping us to sort through all of this. We adopted a dog from her years ago, and elder care just happens to be her gig.  A godsend is what she is.  But it has been an ever changing emotional roller coaster, and a lot of less significant "losses" along the way.  My husband had to drop his college class, our long awaited trip to Hawaii is probably not happening, my job feels more precarious than usual due me handling more FIL stuff than work, and in a moment of exhaustion hubby backed his car into my new car in the driveway. 

BUT, been running, swimming, biking and signed up for an open water swim clinic to prep for the next tri on 5/15.  My friend with the spinal issues had a steriod injection in her spine yesterday, and we went for a bike ride today in the sunshine....so hopefully things looking up there.  I tried my new clip in bike shoes today for the first time, and did not fall trying to clip in or out.  However, I did run the clothes dryer last night while the clothes were still in the washing machine, so probably only a matter of time before I forget I'm clipped in and kiss the pavement Wink.  

Progress Trumps Pefection

However, I did run the clothes dryer last night while the clothes were still in the washing machine,

It takes a lot longer for them to dry this way.........just sayin'.

coffee, bacon

These are a few of my favorite things.  Along with, raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..

Hold on tight, my friends.  The backend of the weekend is upon us.   Stick a knee in it! 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM