Masters Running

Mushroom Mondaily, 12.18.23 (Read 37 times)

TammyinGP

Dave, sorry to hear of this friend of yours. There sure seems to be a higher number of people with pancreatic cancer than what you would hear about years ago. Better detection and diagnosis maybe? 

re: the gift cards - they were old school hand written 'certificate' type GC's.  Small town living means most of the local mom & pop type restaurants (which these were - not chain restaurants), don't use the mass produced gift cards with serial numbers, etc.   fortunately, both restaurants I bought these from I like as well so if I don't find them before Christmas, I'll have a couple places to go next year that I also like.   and if I never do find them but have to re-purchase, then I at least know I put some $$ into the pockets of local restaurant owners which are all having a tough time staying open these days.

Tammy

There's a lot of girding of loins in Homer's Iliad, in reference to strapping one's sword belt and other battle gear on.

Congrats to TwoCat's DW on her AG performance. I think that today's races would rather spend their money on swag to attract entrants and don't have anything left for actual awards.

I had a good swim at the club this afternoon and started to feel like I'm getting my stroke back. It's been almost four years since I consistently went to the pool over the winter and my outing last week was less than satisfactory. Today my Garmin gave me credit for 574 yards (525M), which is enough to qualify for one of BTY's pre-pre-warmups, but is good enough to me. The watch actually gave me credit for an extra pool length in there, which is not that unusual due to the way that I stop and rest after every lap. For an indoor swim, the watch doesn't measure actual distance but instead uses some sort of motion detection to sense when you push off on each lap. It counts laps and multiplies by what you tell it the length of the lane is. Works pretty well but can sometimes be fooled by random motions of your arm or something.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave- that is so sad about your friend.  That's a tough cancer.

Doug- I always found that swimming fitness goes away quickly and takes a bit to get back!  Sounds like you are on the way.

I dealt with a lot of gift card fraud at Tractor.  The bad guys are very clever and they can even use these sophisticated random number generators and get card numbers.

Ken and I had a big outing-  Tractor for pet food then the "big" Publix (as opposed to the slightly smaller one right in our neighborhood) and then an attempted stop at CVS to pick up a prescription for him but, as always when I go to CVS, the pharmacy was closed for lunch.  It's lunch closure is whenever I decide to go.

My beloved Vanderbilt basketball team is ranked last of all the Power 6 conference teams right now.  Long story, and I won't bore you, but Twitter and the forums (on which they think I'm a middle aged male) are firing the coach.  They can't, fortunately, but things are ugly.  Unfortunate injuries, for one thing....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Nice recap Jay.

I didn't get the run in yesterday. Legs were dead so I reconsidered. My run today was fantastic so I guess I need to be more careful with doubles.

That is so cool Karen. He's been outstanding for the Colts this season. Glad he's part of the team.

Dave - sorry to hear that. Cancer is horrible.

Runner's club board meeting tonight. Lots of fun stuff to discuss and plan.

The running community is full of great people and I'm glad to play a small part.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

That is so cool Karen. He's been outstanding for the Colts this season. Glad he's part of the teamte.

C-R/KSA - neat. The Seahawks had a Nigerian linebacker or something for a while who grew up playing football in California and, to my surprise, at 8 current players, Nigeria is second only to Canada's 12 pro players who are citizens elsewhere (or duals elsewhere too) vs. MLB's 269 out of 945 (28% vs. NFL's 3%). [end today's bedside research.

ps - CVS has long lunch hour plus long lines here too but their mail order Caremart our Wellcare Advantage offers has always delivered timely.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

It was a Ft. Campbell soldier from Washington who hit and killed the cyclist. Ft. Campbell is in Clarksville, just north and west of Nashville.

U.S. Army soldier charged in fatal vehicle crash that killed Franklin cyclist | News | thenewstn.com

Went over and over my documents to file for a conservatorship - only my 2nd time filing for one.  Filed today, reviewed them again.  Court date - January 18 . . . . 2023.  Dang nabit!! $%*(&#%@!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness for amended Notices of Hearing.  But still . . .

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

KSA - so awful to read about the cyclist, my heart breaks for his family. I think I have lost my nerve/desire for much outdoor cycling anymore and will likely only do select rides up in Maine if anything. My Peloton looks better and better every day!!

Jay - glad you are taking it easy before trying the race walking - I am curious about your stretching and strengthening routine - any links to your exercises?

Dave - so sorry to hear about your friend. Pancreatic cancer is devastating. I had a 2 hour breakfast today with a close friend whose daughter passed away less than 2 years ago from pancreatic cancer. Today was her daughter's birthday so I didn't want her sitting home all day - her family was keeping her busy in the afternoon and planned a big family dinner to celebrate the daughter's life and share good memories.

I went to the orthopedic today and am pleased with the diagnosis - he said he has very low suspicion for a meniscus tear based on the physical exam and when pain my occurs. On x-ray my knee looks like it has a few issues which lead to maltracking of the patellar. Also some mild osteorthritis in the knee but very mild and what would you expect at this point in life. None of it seemed to warrant an MRI and he felt I would do fine with strengthening the hamstrings and glutes along with taping the knee and wearing a brace while running to help the knee track properly. Bottom line - my weak A** seems to be the culprit of my injury once again!!!! 

Did a 15 minute Peloton ride, some full body strength classes and stretching - if I get to sleep at a decent time tonight, I am going to try for an easy 3 miles before work tomorrow.

Today was torrential downpours most of the day so a good day to NOT run outside - also made a batch of my pizzelles and roasted Kobocha squash - so yummy!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Deez - very happy knee.

KSA - so sorry/sad. Seattle once got an award as safest cycling city but it isn't for those who are hit by cars, sometimes intentionally.  Except for occasional group training rides up into the passes all decked in reflective vests and flashing lights, my late IM, multi-AG, mentor did all his rides on an indoor trainer.

addendum - NHL: ~28% - US /~72% - elsewhere.

Sub7 - do you, or anyone you know, play hockey up there too?

ps leslie - I bet nobody notices, or the clerk changes it not at all what would have happened I I wouldn't have caught the misspelled "e" during a last minute midnight proof of a brief about our six member juries.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

i found the missing gift certificates. I began to think back to the day I got them, where i might have put them, etc. they were not in my work bag. Not in my car. not in any desk drawers. I remembered I had my gym bag with me that day so looked in there and sure enough that's where I put them so i could get them in the house unnoticed because he would never look inside my gym bag for anything. and lo and behold, I found not only the GC's but also two gifts I hid in my gym bag. so now I have a bit more wrapping to do.

Tammy

Tammy- I’m glad you found them!  I hate when things disappear like that!

SteveP

Jay - Mushroom Monday because you are a fungi?

I like the lions mane and popul jacks.  Morells are fine.  I'd like to hunt a few with tetsujin209.

TwoCat - Mice jump up to 18 inches and can squeeze through incredibly small openings.  If you do find where they get in, I'd still live trap the pests.

I've got my first in person PT lined up for Jan4th.  A new year deductible and what not.

Dave59 - I am sorry to hear about your friend.

I got a mile in on the mill.  My hip was not on fire when done.  Then I did the home PT routine.

SteveP

SteveP

Blatant double dipping:

I went to a blood drive Monday. There was background music that was barely audible.  One of the workers asked if we were listening to a Village People Christmas song.  It was simply "YMCA".  I told the woman that we should not be surprised if the Village People have a Christmas album.  And they do.

I did like another artist's take on a holiday YMCA.

SteveP

BTY

I had a good swim at the club this afternoon and started to feel like I'm getting my stroke back. 

Yay!

Yesterday I changed my work schedule, from an 8:00 to 4:00 shift, to an 8:30 - 4:30 shift.   As long as I'm going to be swimming in the morning, and can't actually get there by 6:00 AM, I may as well make the switch and have a better chance of getting to work on time.   Yesterday was also a rest day, so I didn't get a chance to try it out, but today I had a very long swim (long for me), and I was able to get back to the (home) office in time to be considered on time.   I did about 2,200 yards of pull and kick drills first, 100 yards at a time, and then had a main set of 3 x 200 yard freestyle.  I had set a goal of 2:50 per 200, with 2:10 of rest in between repeats, but I had to settle for 3 x 2:57, still on 5 minutes, and I'm actually pretty pleased with that.  I was sharing a lane, as was just about everyone today, and the lane dividers were pretty lax, so the chances of colliding with a neighbor, or at least a divider, were kind of high.  Kind of like driving on a wet road at night, it makes you slow down a little bit even if you don't really mean to.  Giving up about one second per 25-yard length seems pretty reasonable for the sake of safety.

After that main set I did a few more kick and pull segments, then before finishing up with a 100 yard freestyle, I swam 4 x 50 yard freestyle distance per length drills.  No, not like the real ones where you try to completely minimize the strokes; I just accentuate the glide each stroke, and it results in cutting the number of strokes from around 15 to 12 or 13.  I do them in 43 seconds per 50, with the balance of each 60 seconds as rest.

My target was 4,100 yards but because I've been feeling some pain or discomfort or something like that in my left leg during breaststroke kick, I skipped those during the back half of the workout, and finished with 3,900 yards in about an hour and 30 minutes.(1:28:23)

This has been a wonderful advent season, with my granddaughter and all.  I didn't realize that at 2 months old she would be as interactive as she is; that she would be smiling so much, listening to us talk and sing carols for her, and so mesmerized by the Christmas Tree lights and ornaments!

lamerunner2

roachrunner cutting out the peanut butter from a fancy Reese's cup! Sacrilege!!!

This is a question for our DIYers here. We are seeing mice looking to rent space in our house for the winter. While they are cute, they are really poor tenants (they chew everything!) and we have told them no. But they keep sneaking in. I have looked around the house for the entrance and cannot find it. Any ideas on how to locate where they are coming in from so that I can block it? Have some idea as to where it might be, since I keep catching them in the same area.

P.S. As some of you might recall, I cannot bring myself to kill the mice. So those are live traps we have set for them. Once caught we take them for a ride to a local nature preserve, where they can join all of their friends.

In working out, nothing but some upper body work.

On the mice, you can get plug in zappers (my term) that have an ultrasonic light/sound that mice dislike. I have some and they seem to help.  I don't know how to find where they are getting in; that is the best solution, but it is not easy.  They can shrink into very small spaces.