Masters Running

It's worth the weight, if a person is motivated.... (Read 211 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Me...I'm pretty much the same weight - 150 pounds - and super happy about that. But I don't stress out about some number on a scale anymore, but go by how I feel and how my cloths fit......wearing all my skinny stuff now :-) 

I started a thread last week about some women I'm helping with running, and most of them for the very first time ever!!! They are all pretty much Boomers / Masters like us, so it's cool that they are concerned with their health and fitness at this point in their life....and some are racing for the very first time too Cool

I believe some called them my Harem -HA  Big grin   There are over 30 gals in my harem now, and growing....and here is just one success story of many....

I have this one Gal that really stands out with what she has achieved, and is a great  example that anyone can make a positive change - not only a change, but a total lifestyle transformation. About a year and a half ago she asked if I would help her with losing weight and getting in shape (she was reading about my runs on Face Book, and it was an inspiration to her) I said absolutely, but I told her it will take lots of dedication and discipline, as I can help you were you need to go......as I lost over 100 pounds myself, so I know the "hows" very well !

I told her all the obvious things we all know - no more junk food (for the most part) no pop - eat whole wheat this, whole grain that - eat plenty of fruits and veggies - lean proteins - drinks lots of water - restrict sodium intake..........and so on. Well then I started telling her about taking short walks everyday, and increasing these walks little by little every week and some strength training suggestions.

Long story short - about 1.5 years later. She's lost around 125 pounds - runs 4 to 5 times a week - ran her first 5K race about 2 weeks ago (loved that) - running a 4 mile race on July 4th - and I'm helping her train for a Triathlon and a 1/2 Marathon this fall.

I asked her if she minded if a robbed a few pictures from her to share here.....she said that was fine. She wants people to know that she is not where she wants to be weight wise yet, but getting there is such a way that it will last forever.

These are a few before and after pic's.............really cool, and she should be proud. She said she had some friends and family tell her about how bad running is for a person. I told her to tell them.................SHUT THE FRONT DOOR :-D 

-

-

-

-

-

Pretty amazing when Ya see the pictures lined up like these are. Me and some of the gals in my harem (that cracks me up) went out for margarita's after running last night.........delightful hearing how motivated they are to run and get in shape..... and even race too :-) 

ETA: It's absolutely incredible the things a guy hears.........from a bunch of Wimmin's jacked up on the juice - LOL 

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Wow, Tim!! Congratulations to her!!!  Yes, when you line the pics up, the difference is absolutely amazing!  And it goes to show what can be accomplished if you just set your mind to it and put away all the excuses.  Nothing worthwhile comes easy.

I weighed in at 142.7 this a.m.  Up a little over a pound from last week.  I'm blaming it on the Thai food I ate yesterday.  Loaded with coconut milk and I am sure salt.  Oh, and I'm eating the rest of it today for lunch. Smile

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tim, it is a great thing you are doing with the women in your group.  Congratulations to the woman in the photos.  Wow!!!!  I'm happy for you, and for your group of new runners.   Keep up the good work!

SteveP

Though each of the photos show an attractive woman, it's hard to believe they are the same person.

SteveP