Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 06/19 (Read 426 times)

Loved those pictures and the added commentary!  Ev, are you really the author of the far side stuff?  Are cows attracted to bright colors....like say that yellow shirt?

Leslie, as you EASE back into walking and then running, you are going to have a whole arsenal of recovery exercises to supplement with.  Great going on making those pool running workouts so challenging!

Jim, glad your shoulder seems to be on the mend.  I had a bout with some shoulder bursitis a few years ago.  Couldn't raise my arm or pull up pants or do much of anything with it.  Anti-inflammatories and a round of PT and it resolved pretty quickly, but I really couldn't put my finger on anything that caused it to begin with.  Hope your back feels better soon. 

I think we need to put Cindy on a traveling schedule so she can work on all of us!  I'm sure she has nothing else to do with her time ;p.

Hey Stumpy, from one awol team member to another....hello!

I notice that Arla has not denied or confirmed the doping allegations.  Hmmmmm Wink

Well, after laying out my next round of training, I seem to have picked up a cold bug.  Hopefully will blow over quickly, but putting a bit of a damper on my workouts at the moment.  This is what I get for thinking the other day....wow, I haven't been sick in a long time.  Hubby is having to take the keys/car away from his dad today.  Nurse at the place he lives is insisting on it, PT and home health to monitor his coumadin levels that medicare is paying for will stop if he is driving, his medical record says no driving, etc. Answered prayer (so he won't hurt anyone) and a very difficult thing all rolled into one.

Happy trails, roads, and pools to you all this week!     

Progress Trumps Pefection

I notice that Arla has not denied or confirmed the doping allegations.  Hmmmmm

Big grin

Carol - Hope you're feeling better soon.  And I can only imagine the difficulty with your FIL.  I dread the day I ever have to do that with my dad.

It looks to be a beautiful day here today.  To bad I'm stuck inside  Knowing Humboldt County, it'll be crappy come the weekend.  That's just how it goes in our little part of the world.

My legs were still pooped this morning, so it was a 35 min upper body workout with the gals from The Firm.  Haven't worked out to one of those videos in a long time.  Now my arms are pooped, too.  Had to modify some of the moves 'cause they also incorporated leg work, and I still can't put that kind of weight on ye ole foot yet.  Followed that up with 10 min of core specific.  Whether or not I get in a stationary ride after work remains to be seen.  Right now, the Magic 8 Ball is saying, "Unlikely."

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - thanks for the note on buffalo grass, come to think of it, I think now I remember hearing that Davis had some info...

Leslie - you may not be ready for full-on running, but you sure are ready for water polo!

Carol - ugh, that's tough, but sure must be a big relief, too.  Hope he takes it ok.

Yes, I admit to the doping allegation. Ha. Doc said I'd gain 7 - 8 lbs and I thought, nah...I've been the same weight since my 20s (although things have, well...rearranged a bit...). He also said it would be muscle and my clothes would fit the same or better, and that it would kick in within a few days. Sure 'nuf, I'm up 3 lbs and my clothes fit the same or better. I woke up early and went for the best am run ever (usually I feel like a slug on early morning runs), then did laundry, cleaned house, did all my errands, stopped by work, did some gardening, went grocery shopping, and cooked up a batch of chile verde. All before 1 pm. So far no acne, additional hair in unwanted places, or hair loss in unwanted places, but I'm watching. All of this makes me feel both jealous and sad for men at the same time! No wonder you guys have so much energy! I know I was low even for a woman...well, I can't imagine having a man's level of this stuff circulating around. I would conquer the WORLD!! Joking

Or it's all placebo.

Ex runner

Big grin

Pool run for me tonight, then dinner at Karen's.  Was up 'til about 10:30 last night doing transcription.  I still have a ton left, and the possibility of getting even more for an upcoming murder trial.  I swear, besides working out and going to the pool twice a week, all I do is go to work in the a.m. then go home and work all evening.  Not complaining 'cause we definitely need the extra income right now, but I'm starting to bore myself. Roll eyes

The Hub called last night.  He wants to stay at rehab another month if they'll let him (If there's room.  It's a small facility with only 20 beds).  Says he's on Step #4, with which he's having a hard time.  He finally admitted he's nervous about being home alone all day.  I don't think he trusts himself.  Although it would be nice to have him home, I had to admit I'm nervous about him coming home, as well.  If he thinks an extra month will help solidify his sobriety, more power to him.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Survived this half much better than the previous one. Legs feel pretty good but I have been keeping runs less than 40 minutes. I threw in 2 little faster segments on different runs, one an 800 meter @ 5 k and one set of utility pole intervals, kinda a version of a ladder. I have a grouchy right SI joint that I am 100 % sure took the brunt of my unnatural left arm swing from my wierd shoulder episode race day. The shoulder BTW flet fine within 24 hrs. And ya the natural feeling is to blame it on middle age but I do remember having stuff like that go on in my 20's but was young and dumb enough to just push through it. I have started doing my core pt stuff again and can almost hear stuff pop back into position and I go from looking at neanderthal number 1 on the evolution chart to modern man walking fully erect in a 5 minute pt session. I am going to push the speedwork hard work permitting next 9 days maybe 3 workouts and try to get this ol bod ready for the short suffering of a 5k or that is my plan anyway.

Carol I feel for ya as many of those issues with your FIL are so familiar to us. Great job on continuing training thru it all, really helps me keep my head on semi- straight :-)!

Arla 7-8 lbs of raw muscle might not be so bad :-) If you feel the urge to change your name to Olga move to East Germany and join the Bobsled team you may want to have the doc tweak the dosage just a bit. ;-)

Leslie good for you to support the Hub to hang in rehab for as long as it takes you want it to stick the first time.

Hope Joe is enjoying some great non-puter moutain time!

Hey OM how is it going and how are you feeling?

Ev maybe I should write up an illustrated tongue in cheek  race report and enlist your skill to caption it, that was darn funny.

Stumpy stop in more often.

Trying to get caught up on the farm and I 'spose the mtn peeps are trying to catch back up with life after the big weekend.  We had an irrigation well go down, ended up drilling a new well at great expense and trying to get it up and running before the crops under it suffered too much. Crops were stressing pretty bad then we got rain thurs nite that will tide us over until we get the new well in service hopefully today.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I have started doing my core pt stuff again and can almost hear stuff pop back into position and I go from looking at neanderthal number 1 on the evolution chart to modern man walking fully erect in a 5 minute pt session.

Big grin  Great description!  Love the pic, too.

I finally dragged myself out of bed a little after 7:00.  Did 1.25 hrs of core/strength, the 30 min of stationary cycling while watching "The Family Stone."  My foot feels much better today, but I need to work on gently stretching the AT.  Seems it sort of seized up while I was on crutches, even though I moved my foot around a lot.  It's the one thing that's keeping me from walking "normal."

I apologize in advance for this long post:

Had an interesting outing today.  As some of you may remember, my husband lost his job the first part of April due to issues with his alcoholism.  He worked at a local home building supply store for over 20 years.  Since he was fired, we haven't heard from one single person down there.  Although I logically I understand why, emotionally, it's been a hard thing for me to deal with.

Today, I screwed up the courage and went to the store to return a book we had borrowed from one of the folks.  I was a bit shaky, but I was determined to hold my head up, walk in, give the book back, and walk out like nothing had ever happened, and I am proud to say I did exactly that.  The owner of the book was with a customer, so I didn't get to say anything to him.  However, not one person said a single word to me, even though I know folks saw me.

After that, I went to Costco.  About halfway through my shopping, I hear, "Leslie!"  And coming toward me is a guy named Lou who has worked with my husband for 20 years.  Several years ago, Lou almost lost his job due to his alcoholism.  He is now years sober and doing great.  He came up to me, looked me square in the eyes, asked about Shorty and how he was doing, then said, "Tell him if he ever needs to talk, to call me.  And tell him I miss him."

After Costco, I went to Winco and ran into yet another co-worker.  The difference between the two meetings was very interesting.  He asked about Shorty then said, "It's a tragedy.  It's a real tragedy."  For once in my life, I didn't seize up.  I looked him in the eye and said, "He's in his third month in rehab, and he's doing great.  If nothing else, he's becoming a better person and I'm proud of him."  I then said goodbye and walked away.

I've always wondered how I would handle it when I started meeting people from his former employment.  I refuse to let anyone take this and twist it into something "tragic."  Yes, we've hit a landmine, and we have a long, hard road in front of us.  And yes, our lives are going to change dramatically.  We are even faced with the possibility of selling our home and moving.  But the single most important thing out of all this is my husband is getting sober.  Nothing else matters, and I won't let anyone take that joy away from me.

Thanks for listening.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey there 40ish peeps!

Arla - wow, glad you're responding so well!  I want your energy level.  And don't worry, I dope too Smile.  Some body builders have been known to use insulin, and I tend to respond pretty well to even minimal weight training.

Jim - glad you got some rain just in time.  And thanks for the understanding re: the FIL.  I have a feeling your dad is a prould and self sufficient man, which makes these transitions all the more difficult.  Happy speed training!

Leslie - Times like you are going through often show other people's true character.  Awesome that Shorty wants to stay in rehab and knows he has a lot of work ahead as well as behind him.  One thing I find so weird is when people find out I wear an insulin pump, their reaction is often "oh, wow, I'm so sorry, you must have diabetes really bad".  Reality is, it is the best delivery method available and allows me to live as close to a normal life as possible short of a cure.  I am SO HAPPY to be able to have one.  Kind of like where Shorty is....alcoholoism sucks, but it is a HUGE VICTORY that he is committed to treatment and recovery, and that you are supportive.  So yeah, dust your feet off and surround yourself with people who care and get it!

Ev - is the wind is howling in OK?  Got the 100+ temps going or are you in a cool wave of 90's?

Joe - doing well on your unplugged VC I hope.

Stumpy, OM, Cindy - how's it going for you kids?

Still sick, in the hacking up a lung phase of things, so hopefully getting closer. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

HAPPY DAD'S DAY to all the dads of 2-legged and 4-legged creatures.

Still sick, in the hacking up a lung phase of things, so hopefully getting closer. 

{{{Hugs}}}, Carol.  What's the deal with getting sick in the summer time?  Isn't there a law against that??

And TWO people around here doping!  Who says Masters don't know how to have fun!

I have nothing but transcription on my plate today.  I probably should do a stationary bike ride at some point, but we'll see.  Yesterday I used my Blowflex for the first time in a long time.  Holy cow!  My upper back is just a tad stiff and sore.  Guess I need to throw that in the mix more often.

Yesterday, I spent quite a bit of time on my foot and it felt G-O-O-D!  The bottom of my foot gets achy after awhile, and the ankle is tight, but it'll just take getting use to walking again and doing some easy stretching to fix those problems.  I'll give it another few days before I try a lengthy walk (i.e. maybe a mile).

Okay, off to wrangle up some bfast since it doesn't look like anybody's going to materialize to do it for me.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I think I've become the strong, silent type. Ran 29 miles this week but haven't had much to say. Wink

I think I've become the strong, silent type. Ran 29 miles this week but haven't had much to say. Wink

Big grin

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance