Masters Running

Tue Feb 3 Runs and etc (Read 643 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

GGTK
    Tampster, Does this mean you figured it out, and it works both ways Smile...and did you figure it out, or did someone tell ya Tongue TimBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

I like perch's MP mogul run....when downhill skiing is the kind of moguls I like to find... enjoy your barefoot girlfriends, tet Craneium, how is your father doing? I too find out that the only time I can fit in my runs with consistancey and without impacting family life is at predawn...this is a sacrifice for me since I AM NOTTTTTTT a morning person. EGH3, good luck with that shin. Great Xt today. Holly, that is a pretty good pace considering the obstacles...way to go gf. 4 easy pre-dawn miles on slippery roads...22F (hey, you guys got fancy on me with the degree sign while I went away to San Diego Smile...even twocats can do the sign Black eye.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Still working on it TimBo.... Sad

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Still working on it TimBo.... Sad
          Oops, after seeing Facebook, guess you didn't figure it out Big grin TimBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

Bill, that's a nice workout with just 90 seconds rest. Good job. Generally when you do mile repeats at that speed, you have the luxury of full recovery, so if you were able to bounce back after 90, you are pretty fit. Good thinking SLO. The Saint and I did 5 at the park on a gorgeous, crisp day, about 9:48 pace. Spareribs

"older but not dead yet"

Good morning folks, 7.3 miles on snowy trails in Pelham Bay Park in NYC. Will be posting pics of my snowy run on Facebook. I thought trails would be in better condition than they were, but there was still some snow covered with ice. But it was actually somewhat beautiful with snow blowing through the treetops and over the lagoon except for the stuff hitting your face. Undecided Alex
              Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
              dg.

Nice runs today! George.... "the beginning of this recent episode. Instead of taking time off immediately, I kept running. Dumb dumb dumb." We must belong to the same club! Somebody must have already mentioned this... but have you tried pool running? Esp. since you are training for a marathon. I've never tried it, but Perch, Erika, Tim, maybe others know all about it. I think that in Advanced Marathoning (Pfitz)(don't laugh, yes I've read it) he mentions studies that shows how well it maintains your fitness. good luck. Sue, you're right. I think he's just living off his celebrity status. Larry..
                You can tell all us Michigan people are tired of the cold and snow. A 35 degree day and we get all gooshy about it. Big grin
                very funny. very true! Welcome back Tet. Slo_hand, I asked the PT at the gym the question you suggested... thanks for the idea. He says yes it's still ok to run Smile. and gave me a new exercise for the piriformis. A slight variation on the clamshell. Nice of him, he even demo'd for me. 4.14 miles, 9:47 average, 8:06 max. ahr was 165, mhr 182. miles, 10:26, 9:39, 9:26, 9:30,ended at 9. a little more sore today, not sure why but still in the ok range. then 10 min. on the bike, 15 on the elliptical & 2 sets of lower body weight machines. back to work. we have sunshine. would be happy to share!
                  I actually ran the same pace as Lou today - 10 miles in 1:20:30. Weather was cold and snowy/sleety this morning, which is unusual for around here - plus a nice 20-30 mph wind. Can I say again how sick I am of the wind? I was planning to run 12 today, but I was tired and cold and couldn't face another two miles into the wind so I capped it at 10. My fortitude is fading. I think I need a cut-back week, but next week is really better for that as I have a lot of work and family obligations that will make it tough to get in my runs. What are thoughts on mileage ramp up? I'm starting to think I've been a bit too aggressive with this and need to back it down and stay in the 50-55 range for another month or so until my knee starts to feel better and my runs recover some sproink. Nice runs for Lou and Perch - love those moguls. I actually like runs that have at least a few hills in them - it relieves the boredom and you do get to go down after you go up.

Once a runner . . .

Morning - Got up too late to drive to my fartlek area, so I opted for my own version of speed work this a.m. Warmed up for 2 miles (takes a long time for my ankle to feel loose these days), then 2 miles of speed work consisting of running fairly hard for 2 blocks, recovery walk/slow jog for 1 1/2-2 blocks, repeat, then 2 miles home. With the walking/slow jogging ended up with a 10:16 ap. Solid lead legs for the last mile. Don't know what's going on, except maybe I'm not eating enough carbs right now. Av/Best/HR 1. 10:38/8:52/132 2. 10:31/9:23/149 3. 9:51/6:53/156 4. 10:34/6:55/150 5. 10:04/7:37/155 6. 9:56/7:29/156 Suppose to get to 68 degrees here in the ole North Coast today Confused , but we shall see if it actually happens. Shoot, we don't get those kinds of temps in the summer let alone winter. Think I'm gonna go home tonight and see if I can do a rain dance. ------------- Work Dead at Desk for Five Days (NY Times) Bosses of a publishing firm are trying to work out why no one noticed that one of their employees had been sitting dead at his desk for five days before anyone asked if he was feeling okay. George Turklebaum, 51, who had been employed as a proof-reader at a New York firm for 30 years, had a heart attack in the open-plan office he shared with 23 other workers. He quietly passed away on Monday, but nobody noticed until Saturday morning when an officer cleaner asked why he was working during the weekend. His boss, Elliott Wachiaski, said: "George was always the first guy in each morning and the last to leave at night, so no one found it unusual that he was in the same position all the time and didn't say anything. He was always absorbed in his work and kept much to himself." A post mortem examination revealed that he had been dead for five days after suffering a coronary. George was proofreading manuscripts of medical textbooks when he died. You may want to give your co-workers a nudge occasionally. The moral of the story: Don't work too hard. Nobody notices anyway.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

Nice runs today! Slo_hand, I asked the PT at the gym the question you suggested... thanks for the idea. He says yes it's still ok to run Smile. and gave me a new exercise for the piriformis. A slight variation on the clamshell. Nice of him, he even demo'd for me.
                      That's great to hear ! But I have no idea what I suggested.......The only reason I could recite what I had for breakfast this morning is because I have the same thing everyday. Tongue
                        Okay - For all you legal professionals out there . . . We have this old dude who's been our client for awhile now. Weird guy, but basically harmless - although I'm betting he was not such a nice person when he was a younger man. Probably very controlling. We did his estate planning and recently completed the probate of his wife's estate. He has an appointment this morning, and the first thing he says to me when he walks in the door is, "Okay, what's my wife's middle name?" WTH? Confused I don't know and I don't care. You're lucky I remember your name (just kidding on that count . . . sort of). Ugh! We also have a lady who calls often (and did this a.m.) and never says who she is. Of course I recognize her voice, but it drives me batty! Me: "X&X Law Office" Her: "Leslie, is Bill in? Did he get the papers I dropped off? He never called me back." And just because I can, I ask, "Who am I speaking to, please?" And last but not least, the dude who called at about 7:30 Friday night wanting a call back the next day because he has some half million dollar real estate deal he needs immediate assistance with, and oh, yeah, he was referred by so-and-so judge. Did he not listen to the message that says we're only open Monday through Friday? We don't work weekends? Aaaaaaaaaagghhh! Angry Okay, just had to get that off my chest. It's only 10:00 a.m. and already I'm frazzled and irritated. Doesn't bode well for my bosses. Wink

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

You may want to give your co-workers a nudge occasionally. The moral of the story: Don't work too hard. Nobody notices anyway.
                          Oh Leslie, that's hilarious. Well, not for poor George, but the moral is great. Heh. Something I work at perfecting on a daily basis! Wink Hope your day goes better. I get calls like that... and usually after they go on and on with what their problem is and what they want, I'm quiet for a few seconds, and say "well, I'd love to help you but first of all you need to tell me who you are." Meg, I was thinking I needed a cutback week, too, but mine isn't scheduled till next week. Oh well, I did take a rest day yesterday when the plan was for something easy (can't get much easier than that!). Just felt run down. I'm blaming the persistent cold. All you guys are probably sick to death of me whining about the cold. I'm actually not too bothered by it, or the darkness, but it does wear on the vehicles and the family after awhile. All my menfolk hate the cold so they bitch about it all the time and THAT gets old for me. So, I'm just slogging thru it and thinking of what I want to do this summer... planning out my garden in my head, that sort of stuff.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yeah, and then I get these calls where a person only asks "is my car done" I then think Confused duh...who are you first. But they only have to know me, where as I have to try and remember 100's of people. Then I get the calls from people who ask how much it would be to repair their car...without me even seeing it Roll eyes People some times...but look at me Big grin TimBo GGTK

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie – we do a lot of juvenile work in this office, and you would not believe the number of calls we get from teenagers who were never taught how to use the phone. They talk like they have a mouth full of rocks (basically incomprehensible), don’t leave a name, don’t leave a number (often assuming we have caller id on our office phones, which we do not), one kid left a message saying, “Call me back at the number you see”... Roll eyes Erika - you of all people have every right to whine about the cold. Go on, do it as much as you want. Because there's no way you can expect anyone believe that -30 is "just the way you like it."

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Icing my hip. It's snowing out, so it'll be a sand run for Renee and me later towards the end of the day.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!